xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Atari7800x V3  (Read 422 times)

XPort

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »

Go into the project properties sheets, look for something like "image" or "executable" properties - it's something near the bottom.  On that property page there will be something called "stack size".  You need to gradually increase that number until things work correctly.  (Increasing the stack size eats up memory as well.)

madmab

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »

ok.  Well increasing the stack size solved the "hanging looking for main()" situation.

But it still locks when in release mode when exiting out of the "search gameshark" screen, but works perfectly fine in debug mode.  Which kinda makes it hard for me to figure out why it is doing that...  laugh.gif

Thanks..

madmab

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »

Looks like it is locking up somewhere after I exit the gameshark menu to the cheat menu and the loop goes back into the "rendertextmenuwrapper" at which point it freezes.

XPort

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Jun 10 2008, 11:43 AM) View Post

Looks like it is locking up somewhere after I exit the gameshark menu to the cheat menu and the loop goes back into the "rendertextmenuwrapper" at which point it freezes.

Have you tried bumping up the stack size significantly to make sure that it's not the issue?

If that still doesn't work, then it sounds like memory is getting corrupted somewhere - e.g. memset( buf+5000, 0, 1000)  with buf being "char buf[4500]".  It's very possible that the precise place that it's failing is not related to the failure at all - it's probably the result of an errant write to memory.  Debug mode has memory laid out differently and initializes all you variables to zero for you - which is not done in release mode - so check that all your vars are properly initialized as well.  You should eyeball your new code to look for where data could be written to the wrong places in memory.  

madmab

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »

Got it!!  Seems I made the same mistake as mentioned above.  Had a char variable defined 1 character to small.  I keep forgetting that even though char's count from zero that I need to add 1 for the terminating character.   rolleyes.gif

I usually catch those because something is usually missing, but in this case the way I was using that variable the lack of a terminating character didn't affect it.

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Jun 11 2008, 03:16 PM) View Post

Got it!!  Seems I made the same mistake as mentioned above.  Had a char variable defined 1 character to small.  I keep forgetting that even though char's count from zero that I need to add 1 for the terminating character.   rolleyes.gif

I usually catch those because something is usually missing, but in this case the way I was using that variable the lack of a terminating character didn't affect it.

good work madmab, im lovin this release brother!!  biggrin.gif

XT-

madmab

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »

Another update.  For all intents and purposes I'm pretty much done with this guy all I have to do is finish adding cheat codes for the databases.

Gameshark style Database added (just like Atarixlbox) so you can search it for cheats, save any cheats you added to an external file for sharing, etc.

Cheats are deactivated on game load.  Seems this can cause the 7800 to hang on the Atari logo boot screen.

Games that use two buttons now work properly.  Buttons one and two were mapped backwards (in mess) so I fixed that.  So in "Dark Chambers" you can now use bombs, "Desert Falcon" you can use special items, and Hyperspace now works when you press button two in "Asteroids (and hacks)".  Just to name a few.

Internal changes

moved all the stuff at the beginning of commonfucs.cpp to "commonchecks.cpp".  It was getting kinda large with my additions.  I still need to clean that up a little.

Modified the a7800 specific rewind so it uses mame's "scheduled" state load/save like it is supposed to.  This allows rewind (mostly) to work in games like Commando where it didn't before.

-----------------------------

Savestates are not exactaly 100% correct.  For example in games like Dark Chambers that use character mode.  Somehow the character sets get messed up.  Oddly enough savestates in the a7800 driver for MESS always lock up on my PC.  So I suppose we are lucky they even semi work.  laugh.gif

madmab

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »

I meant done with this guy as in done with the changes I was planning on making to a7800x.

I didn't wanna say anything about Gensx until I had a chance  to try and compile it.  I still need to set up assembly stuff before I can even compile it.

Oh and I've been running my stuff on a 1.6 since day one and running the debug bios on the same 1.6 since sometime in February.  Debug BIOS sure helps out alot when it comes to doing things.  Alot of things would have taken me alot longer to figure out otherwise.

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Jun 18 2008, 05:37 PM) View Post

I meant done with this guy as in done with the changes I was planning on making to a7800x.

I didn't wanna say anything about Gensx until I had a chance  to try and compile it.  I still need to set up assembly stuff before I can even compile it.

Oh and I've been running my stuff on a 1.6 since day one and running the debug bios on the same 1.6 since sometime in February.  Debug BIOS sure helps out alot when it comes to doing things.  Alot of things would have taken me alot longer to figure out otherwise.

really??  biggrin.gif
 i had read that the chances of a 1.6 box working with debug was very slim so i didnt want to take the chance and brick it.

no worries about the gensx thing man, it's cool whenever/if you want to get around to it just let me know and ill send it or you can add the line of code i have in the thread. i just wanted to try it out before i leave.

good to hear i read it wrong, lol,  biggrin.gif  i wasnt sure if i had done something or not.

to stay on topic with atari though, im not sure how much sense things make but i tried out wizard of wor yesterday and couldnt get the controls to work on it.

shoot wait a min that's z26 i think though..

XT-

madmab

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

For some dumb reason the programmers of Wizard Of Wor choose to stay true to the original arcade and have player 1 mapped to joystick 2 and player 2 to joystick 1.

Silly I know, but what can I say... tongue.gif

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Jun 18 2008, 09:38 PM) View Post

For some dumb reason the programmers of Wizard Of Wor choose to stay true to the original arcade and have player 1 mapped to joystick 2 and player 2 to joystick 1.

Silly I know, but what can I say... tongue.gif

lol.  now that makes sense,   i actually had that problem with towering inferno as well so i will go back and check that too. lol  laugh.gif I was wondering about it, i know you're not working on z26, i just thought it was funny at first that i could play mk trilogy for ps1 on xbox but not wizard of wor! lol  laugh.gif

i have not had any issues with atarixlbox. your last release was awesome! most people shoot straight for "newer" older consoles but you went way back in the time machine, i seemed to be stuck in 1985 nes and 1991 genesis right now.

my two things im looking at are overclock cpu for nes (which would GREATLY improve alot of games) and that standalone soldiers of fortune neogenesis. i had no idea that you had to have assembly set up to compile that though. but that's cool im a patient guy.

thanks for the info on the wizard of wor madmab!

XT-

madmab

• Archived User
Atari7800x V3
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(XTecuterX73 @ Jun 18 2008, 09:55 PM) View Post

lol.  now that makes sense,   i actually had that problem with towering inferno as well so i will go back and check that too. lol  laugh.gif I was wondering about it, i know you're not working on z26, i just thought it was funny at first that i could play mk trilogy for ps1 on xbox but not wizard of wor! lol  laugh.gif

i have not had any issues with atarixlbox. your last release was awesome! most people shoot straight for "newer" older consoles but you went way back in the time machine, i seemed to be stuck in 1985 nes and 1991 genesis right now.

my two things im looking at are overclock cpu for nes (which would GREATLY improve alot of games) and that standalone soldiers of fortune neogenesis. i had no idea that you had to have assembly set up to compile that though. but that's cool im a patient guy.

thanks for the info on the wizard of wor madmab!

XT-
Actually it is the sms/gg emulator that needs NASM for some reason I was thinking it was gensx.  So it turned out compiling was no big problem.

Pages: 1 2 [3]