xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xport Projects And The E:\saves Folder  (Read 497 times)

Likklebaer

• Archived User
Xport Projects And The E:\saves Folder
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

XVI32 is a good free hex editor and is available here: http://www.chmaas.ha...xvi32/xvi32.htm

Simply open the default.xbe of the emulator you want to use a different save directory, go to the Search menu, choose Find, and search for the Text String "E:\SAVES\" (without the quotes). Then just change all instances of the current save directory to a new one providing you keep the number of characters the same.

For example, to have two seperate MekaX emulators, one for SMS and one for GG, perform the above procedure on a MekaX default.xbe. The hex editor will find at least one instance of "E:\SAVES\MEKAX". Change this to read (for example) "E:\SAVES\GEKAX" and save the file. Now you can use a MekaX installation with this xbe for GG and you can have a seperate installation with an unaltered xbe for SMS. Each will use a different save dir and will effectively be seperate emulators.

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 01:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(Likklebaer @ Aug 26 2006, 12:04 PM) View Post
XVI32 is a good free hex editor and is available here: http://www.chmaas.ha...xvi32/xvi32.htm

Simply open the default.xbe of the emulator you want to use a different save directory, go to the Search menu, choose Find, and search for the Text String "E:\SAVES\" (without the quotes). Then just change all instances of the current save directory to a new one providing you keep the number of characters the same.

For example, to have two seperate MekaX emulators, one for SMS and one for GG, perform the above procedure on a MekaX default.xbe. The hex editor will find at least one instance of "E:\SAVES\MEKAX". Change this to read (for example) "E:\SAVES\GEKAX" and save the file. Now you can use a MekaX installation with this xbe for GG and you can have a seperate installation with an unaltered xbe for SMS. Each will use a different save dir and will effectively be seperate emulators.

The problem with this is that you still have to use a the same number of characters.

I think it would be best if done as an option instead.  I'd still need it to be in E:\Emulators\Sega\Master System anyway

if it were possible to hex it for ANY folder, no big deal.

QUOTE(Likklebaer @ Aug 26 2006, 01:38 AM) View Post
Okay I don't have time to read all that crap so forgive me if this isn't relevant or doesn't achieve what you want, but the default save directory of any XPort emu can be changed by opening the default.xbe in a hex editor such as WinHex and replacing all occurances of E:\SAVES\*system name* with whatever you want.

Also I'm pretty sure that even recent XPort emus will take settings from an ini in the launch directory providing one hasn't yet been created in E:\SAVES.

The problem is that the current xport emus take the settings from the launch directory and COPY THEM TO THE F'ING E:\SAVES FOLDER!!!!!

if someone needs that folder to not exist, for whatever reason, there is NO WAY TO DO THIS.  if someone wants the settings read only from the launch directory, there is no way to do this either.

hence, this petition of sorts, to request that these be made optional.

quadriko

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »

i had an idea that might please both worlds, if xport would put somesort of padded area in the binary right after the e:\saves\emuname\ location, we could use a hex editor to point it to a location longer than the default path. and possibly the drive letter also??? dunno about that one.  :P

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »

someone PM'd me today a possible solution....hex-editing the xbes to point to ".\Saves" instead of "E:\Saves"

it *MIGHT* work....doubtful because of the missing character in the hex (.\, 2 characters, instead of E:\, 3 characters)

if it does succeed though, i will collect ALL of xports work and hex edit them all with the fix and re-release them as a set elsewhere.

if it doesn't work, we are back to the petition.

EuroHEV

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 02:56:00 AM »

*signs, even if I know nothing will change*

I hate having to keep the E:\Saves folder. And since I keep my saves in D:\Save Data\, the hex-editing method won't work for me.

AmyGrrl

• Recovered User
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 08:08:00 AM »

I realized that XPORT uses D:\.... so I'm trying that now...

ok.. that worked... I'm happy now!!!!!

AmyGrrl

• Recovered User
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 08:28:00 AM »

Below is what you can Hex Edit and make is store data in the games directory.

E:\Saves  to D:\Saves
E:\Screenshots to D:\Screenshots

I always had the following folders each Rom DIR.

rename bios to Bios
rename emuskins to Skins
add Music
add Saves
add Screenshots
add Text
removed psxcds (I store ROM images elsewhere on the Drive.)

hargle

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(A Murder of Crows @ Aug 30 2006, 06:42 AM) View Post

someone PM'd me today a possible solution....hex-editing the xbes to point to ".\Saves" instead of "E:\Saves"

it *MIGHT* work....doubtful because of the missing character in the hex (.\, 2 characters, instead of E:\, 3 characters)

if it does succeed though, i will collect ALL of xports work and hex edit them all with the fix and re-release them as a set elsewhere.

if it doesn't work, we are back to the petition.

It doesn't work (I tried it last night with 7800x), but as amyGrrl suggested, using D: instead of E: should work just fine.

I'd forgotten that D: was just a simple remap of the current directory.  duh for me.

QUOTE(A Murder of Crows @ Aug 30 2006, 06:42 AM) View Post

This is typically not a problem, provided you overwrite any unused characters to NULL (0's) when you're hex editing.   In programmer's speak, as long as the string is null terminated, whatever is using that string doesn't care about the length.

AmyGrrl

• Recovered User
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 11:34:00 AM »

I uploaded a test version of PCSXBox v14 with it saving all the data to the Emulators Folder.... to that xbox torrent site I'm not allowed to mention..... so you can download it and check it out...

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 02:58:00 PM »

Awesome!

two thirds of the problem now solved....the last is to make a single xbe that can be used both on a disc AND on a hard drive......of course, that part is up to Xport, but this was a GREAT solution

kudos!  6 months of going nuts now finished by a single letter!

Kamineko

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

I approve of this hex-editry. (Its result, that is, not its cause) smile.gif

EuroHEV

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »

Thanks a lot, AmyGrrl! I grabbed your hex-edited emus from that place.
Pages: 1 [2]