xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Video Of Xboyadvance Running  (Read 138 times)

TyBO

• Archived User
Video Of Xboyadvance Running
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:45:00 PM »

Well, I've searched the highs and lows of the internet (meaning YouTube and Google Video) and I can't find a video that shows XboyAdvance running on an Xbox.  I understand the framerate for GBA games isn't perfect, and the best way of knowing how it runs without actually running it would be to watch a video of the emulator in action, so I ask you this:

Can anyone link me to a video of someone playing a GBA game on XboyAdvance?  It would help me lots.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks in advance.

sand_man

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 02:29:00 AM »

Is this because you don't have an Xbox? I don't have a video for you but let me tell you that GBA emulation is so close to perfect that you and I wouldn't know any better.

TyBO

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(sand_man @ Jun 6 2006, 04:00 AM) *

Is this because you don't have an Xbox? I don't have a video for you but let me tell you that GBA emulation is so close to perfect that you and I wouldn't know any better.

Glad to hear it!

I do own an Xbox, but not a modded one. I was curious about the quality of GBA emulation, since that would be a huge selling point for getting a mod chip.  I think I'll go ahead and get one now, since GBA works so well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

georaldc

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »

I would say it runs between 80% to 100%, depending on the game and the amount of stuff happening on screen. The worst I've seen was metroid zero mission, and its still very playable IMO.

SlyBeast

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »

Yeah, almost perfect is a bit too generous, but it does function very well indeed.  Now, some of the sounds play incorrectly even on the games that performance-wise play just fine, so be warned.

You mentioned that the selling point of "to mod or not to mod" was based on GBA emulation; well let me tell you, there's a whole list of reasons to mod it, not just GBA.  Do it; you can do tons of stuff with a modded Xbox, and remember, you always have the option of softmodding it if you don't know how to solder.  Good luck man, and have fun.

mike315

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »

I bought and modded my xbox specifically for EMU stuff and XBMC. And its one of the best purchases and hacks ive ever done. Totally satisfying...GBA is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to emulation on the xbox.

There's something special about emulating onto a TV instead of a computer monitor. Nostalgic feeling...

Then you'll get around to installing xbmc and your digital media life will change...its just plain awesome. Xbox's are cheap...it will be a worthy investment.

foxxfella

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 09:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(mike315 @ Jun 6 2006, 10:17 PM) *

I bought and modded my xbox specifically for EMU stuff and XBMC. And its one of the best purchases and hacks ive ever done. Totally satisfying...GBA is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to emulation on the xbox.

There's something special about emulating onto a TV instead of a computer monitor. Nostalgic feeling...

Then you'll get around to installing xbmc and your digital media life will change...its just plain awesome. Xbox's are cheap...it will be a worthy investment.

Yes indeed. You will also find that the xbox scene is very active there is always something new or updated I love my xbox!

This post has been edited by foxxfella: Jun 7 2006, 04:12 AM

TyBO

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 11:30:00 AM »

Thanks all... glad to hear this is an active place.  I'm from the Dreamcast scene originally, which will always be my first and favorite, but the scene is currently on life support with a knot in it's feeding tube.  Not a lot of good releases there as of lately.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

SlyBeast

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »

I'm from the DC scene too, TyBO.  After you mod your Xbox, you'll find that you almost completely abandon your DC, at least for homebrew & emulation anyway.  I never thought I'd say that, but it's true.  The Xbox is just so far superior.

Chron Johnson

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 01:37:00 AM »

Dreamcast still has FreeD0 and the A7800 drivers from MESS over the XBox.  And way more wacky Japanese games.  But the XBox crushes all other consoles for emulation...the thing has a hard drive.  I mean, a hard drive.  2400+ GBA titles easily selectable with the click of my remote, brandishing huge box scans for each game.  Ain't no Dreamcast rocking 10 gigs of handheld games from a year+ after the DC's US demise.

sand_man

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 04:10:00 AM »

TyBO, I thought I recognised you from somewhere.
gp32x.com (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Since modding my xbox I've pretty much left my gp2x on the shelf.

This post has been edited by sand_man: Jun 8 2006, 11:11 AM

TyBO

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(sand_man @ Jun 8 2006, 05:41 AM) *

TyBO, I thought I recognised you from somewhere.
gp32x.com (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Since modding my xbox I've pretty much left my gp2x on the shelf.

Oh yeah... I recognize your username too.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

GP2X is still good for things like plane rides/when your away from home.  That's the whole reason I bought mine.  Genesis anywhere = joyousness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

spybutt

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 06:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(SlyBeast @ Jun 6 2006, 09:12 PM) *

Yeah, almost perfect is a bit too generous, but it does function very well indeed.  Now, some of the sounds play incorrectly even on the games that performance-wise play just fine, so be warned.

You mentioned that the selling point of "to mod or not to mod" was based on GBA emulation; well let me tell you, there's a whole list of reasons to mod it, not just GBA.  Do it; you can do tons of stuff with a modded Xbox, and remember, you always have the option of softmodding it if you don't know how to solder.  Good luck man, and have fun.

You can play GBA with a softmod? I tried that mechassault save like 2 years ago and messed up my Xbox. I now have a new Xbox but don't know how to solder and stuff. Since then I've been running emus on my unmodded ps2 and Dreamcast. I'm thinking of trying out this softmod thing basically for gba and other emus the ps2 can't do. I learned alot the past two years playing with my PS2, now I wanna tackle my xbox.

Jonesy_47

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

Softmods are fully functional aside from the difficulty of installing a larger hard drive as opposed to the procedure on a modded box aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this thread is officially off-topic

Chron Johnson

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

I am curious as to the emulators on unmodded PS2 as my v4 PS2 has a barely functional laser and I aspire for it to be more.