xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ripping Psx Game To Hdd  (Read 140 times)

davicoro

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« on: December 24, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »

From FAQs
Q: Why can't I put real PSX cds into my XBox DVDROM drive and have PCSXBox run them? I can do the same kind of thing with HUGO and NeoGenesis, so why not PCSXBox?
Can you make a tool that will rip my PSX cds onto my XBox?

A: PSX cds are completely different beasts than PCE CDs and SegaCDs. PSX cds are written with Mode2 XA sectors whereas the others are not. I have tried many different ways to read Mode2 XA sectors and the closest I got was getting the XBox to actually read the sectors, but at only 2.5KB per second. Considering that this is about 50x slower than a 1x CDROM drive, I think it's pretty obvious that gaming performance would be extremely poor. Please note that Mode2 XA is different than Mode2 Yellowbook (which is what VCDs are written with) - so XBMP's code is not a solution.

I'm aware that if you install linux on your XBox and then run a linux version of a PSX emulator that it can read PSX cds. I believe the problem lies somewhere in the XDK. Obviously there is a solution to the problem, but the specifics are elusive. I cannot answer "when" it will be solved because if I had enough information to tell you "when", then it would be finished by now already.

Furthermore, if I could write a tool that reads PSX cds and dump them to the HD, I would be able to make PCSXBox read PSX cds. If you want to wait 75 hours (650MB at 2.5KB/sec) for the XBox to rip/write your CD onto the HD, then I've got just what you need. I think it would be faster to rip it on your PC and then upload it to your XBox, though.....

I dont know if this can be done but maybe is posible that that someone make a linux app for xbox to rip the psone game from the dvdrom to the HDD for this emulator... :uhh:  something like psx2xbox or PCSXRipper :unsure:

If this is a stupid comment please ingore this message

davicoro

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »

ok... is a stupid coment!!! <_<

Ed_209

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 11:29:00 AM »

Hey, I don't think that's a stupid comment. I (and a lot of people I know) want to be able to have their xbox system be COMPLETELY independant from the pc. I modded xboxes for all of my friends and none of them have a pc to rip games and then upload them conveniently. If there could be an app you could run to temporarily put the xbox into a 'linux mode' so it could then recognize and rip playstation cds quickly that would help everyone out a great deal.

I have never used linux on xbox, but I am sure there are tons of apps for linux that can make .bin and .cue files.  Maybe someone out there can make a special linux package that has just the special tools needed to make a bin and cue file. If anyone out there can point out some names for user-friendly linux apps that can do this please share!

In the meantime I'll start seeing what I can find.

Navis

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »

That really is a great idea.  However, such a program would take time.  And it is THEIR time (developers).  Since the current method already works there really isn't much incenitive to make a new program on top of it.  I would love to see someone make such a program.  It would definitly make things much easier.  Not to mention a moment of glory to whoever makes it.  Certainly not a stupid comment.

davicoro

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »

finaly someone read my pray :luv:  ^_^

thanks for the insterest on this idea... i know is the time of developer but if noneone ask of it, or if there is not too many people that show that they like the idea, then noneone will start to doit...

i know xport is doing the best trying to make thinks for this... this is just one idea in case xport have not look at this posibility...

keep the great work xport!

PrismSub5

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 05:59:00 AM »

And what if you put in a modded dvdplayer like the samsung 616?

Or a original tweaked dvdplayer?

total_ass

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 06:38:00 AM »

samsung would make no difference (i think)

it's not a hardware issue, not really anyway. it's more about software.

davicoro

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 06:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(PrismSub5 @ Jan 4 2005, 01:54 PM)
And what if you put in a modded dvdplayer like the samsung 616?

Or a original tweaked dvdplayer?

the problem is not the dvd rom... is the xbox developers tool (aka xdk)
xboxlinux can read those games using the same xbox dvdrom. but seems like the apps maked whit the xdk do not have the avility to read psx disc format at the needed speed.

This post has been edited by davicoro: Jan 4 2005, 02:41 PM

Ed_209

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »

Well, just to let everyone know that I'm still looking into this...I downloaded that new "dyne:bolic 1.4" linux cd image, booted it up and noticed that it has software built into it that can burn data and make cd images.  I couldn't get it to work with my samsung xbox dvd drive unfortunately, but I am assuming you can hook up a usb dvd drive and you can then create and/or burn images that way and then extract cd images directly to your xbox hard drive without the need of a computer...

If someone out there wants to experiment with this dynebolic program to see if they can rip playstation games with a usb drive (or the xbox drive itself?)... here is the link to the torrent so you can try out dynebolic yourself:

http://torrent.dyne.org/

So at this point the most you will need is an external usb cd/dvd drive/burner and maybe people out there without a pc can have some sort of way to create their own images without the need for a pc.

Yeah I know this sounds like a lot of crap to go through just to make a cd image, but I am just trying to point out any possible way for people to make cd-images without a pc.

edudlive

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »

You know what?  Thats actually a really good idea.  I'd LOVE to have an app like that.  I've been ripping and transfering my PSX games all day..and it would be so much easier if I could just do it dvd2xbox style.

EnterDaMatrix

• Archived User
Ripping Psx Game To Hdd
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 03:17:00 PM »

Id try just running gentoox and using a linux app that does the same thing, or even a #nix psx emulator (i havent looked into it)