xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Snes9xbox V3 Possibly Up And Coming  (Read 4175 times)

madmab

• Archived User
Snes9xbox V3 Possibly Up And Coming
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 04:14:00 AM »

Well I tried various experiments to see if could get the 1.52 sound core to work in 1.54 and vice versa.  But sadly too many features were change, removed, and moved around to really make that practical.  At this point I'm still not sure if the sound core is the culprit.  Although it is pretty high on my list.  laugh.gif

The other option... having a 1.51 and 1.53 to choose between has one small problem of incompatible savestates which I fear may confuse some people.  Luckily SRAM is still the same.  So if I chose to go this route I may have to resort to just making the naming of the savestates different between the two to at least prevent accidental loading of incompatible savestates.

But that does not remove the possibility of user confusion.. "where'd my savestates go?".. doh!

Consoleman!

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 04:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ May 19 2011, 05:14 AM) View Post

Well I tried various experiments to see if could get the 1.52 sound core to work in 1.54 and vice versa.  But sadly too many features were change, removed, and moved around to really make that practical.  At this point I'm still not sure if the sound core is the culprit.  Although it is pretty high on my list.  laugh.gif

The other option... having a 1.51 and 1.53 to choose between has one small problem of incompatible savestates which I fear may confuse some people.  Luckily SRAM is still the same.  So if I chose to go this route I may have to resort to just making the naming of the savestates different between the two to at least prevent accidental loading of incompatible savestates.

But that does not remove the possibility of user confusion.. "where'd my savestates go?".. doh!

With choosing between audio engines no longer an option, this multi-build idea seems like a pretty good solution.  

How would it work exactly?  Would one of the builds operate as the main build, while the second build gets loaded only when called upon?  If so, it might make sense for the build, which will likely be used the most, to be designated as the main build so most games will load up at normal speed.

I know first hand how disappointing troubleshooting can be.  Glad you did it though, because now you have a better idea of what exactly needs done.

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »

Maybe ali will have a good report. He did say he made some changes. Either way this
Project is in good hands. smile.gif

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »

Well it'd be kinda hard to determine which build would used the most.  I guess it depends on if the end user wants full fluid speed and crappy sound, or possible slowdown with good sound.  For example after testing "Contra 3" in the old engine after using the new one... blech.. it sounds like shit.  laugh.gif

Consoleman!

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ May 20 2011, 01:49 AM) View Post

Well it'd be kinda hard to determine which build would used the most.  I guess it depends on if the end user wants full fluid speed and crappy sound, or possible slowdown with good sound.  For example after testing "Contra 3" in the old engine after using the new one... blech.. it sounds like shit.  laugh.gif

Well, with the old build most games play at full speed.  That, to me at least, is more important than perfect sound.  If you go with that build, you won't need to force any of the chipped games to use the newer build, but the user will likely want to switch to the new build for Konami and other games that make use of the sound improvement.

Each build has it's faults, so the question is how do the non-chipped and non-Konami games run as a whole with the new build?  How do they run with filters?

My best guess is that filters will harm fps in some games.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »

Yeah.. filters are pretty much gonna be only good for trusty box users.  Unless we get a 10fps miracle.. biggrin.gif

cheema201

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »

Good to hear that you have added the lightgun support.

It's a shame that we are looking at a multi core build, but only for all the questions that will arise. Especially involving the savestates as madmab has already mentioned. But I guess in the end it will create a higher compatibility, which is what good emulation is all about. Personally I would prefer fluent gameplay over sound quality, if the sound gets annoying i'd just mute it haha. It's good to give people that option though, people like options haha.

At Squarpusher - I have been using your snes emulator on my ps3 and have been quite impressed. I use your emulator plus mednafen mostly on my ps3. I have read through some stuff at the ps3 scene but never once felt like joining, only because the playstation scene seems to be filled with people that take things just a bit too seriously. Madmab is right but, the PSP scene isn't as bad. I actually am part of the PSP scene, and there are some chilled out people there. Anyways, best of luck with any future developments you can bring to the xbox scene. I'm sure it'll be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »

hey ali. any progress my man?

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »

I have not heard anything from SquarePusher yet.  In the meantime I've been coding up a bunch of changes I've been meaning to do.  I figured a public beta of snes9xbox would be good for ironing out any issues with all of my re-arranging.  I'm thinking in a couple weeks or so.  Hopefully in the meantime Squarepusher will have chimed in by then.

Xtra-Radical

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 01:51:00 AM »

Saw this thread a while ago as a long, longtime lurker.  Due to the Xtras release of emus, I have found a tremendous love for this vintage game station aka Xbox console.  SNES is possibly my favorite console of all time (with PC Engine).  Therefore, I have to show my support for the new audio engine Madmab has worked hard to add.  

This thread says speak now or hold yer peace, so count this noob in as one who wants to see the updated sound core included.  Much appreciation to Madmab and the Xtras team for everything.  Thanks for all that time and work with no pay.  

If it is possible to choose between cores, then that would be cool too.  So count me among those users out there who don't normally post, that is excited about this new upgraded core.   smile.gif

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »

still hoping to hear from ali. i wonder where he has gotten of too. this project has really begun to take off and looks very promising. i check everyday for an update from you or him madmab.  laugh.gif

XT-

Dante_Ali

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »

Hi guys - I'm terribly sorry for keeping you all waiting - I take far too much stuff on my plate really.

The main reason is - I'm trying to 'cleanly' commit all the changes I did to SNES9x PS3 to this repository here -

https://github.com/s...her/snes9x-slim

It's still far - far from done - I'd say not even approaching 10% so far. Most of it is going to be driven by defines - setting defines will rip out parts of SNES9x that we won't need.

Perhaps madmab wants to join the snes9x-slim project as a collaborator - perhaps he can start looking for some parts to optimize too.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »

ok guys I'm gonna be gearing up for a public beta real soon here so if you wanna play just come over to our place cause you will need an account there.  I have a forum and thread set up for it so it will be easier to report bugs quickly and release beta fixes without tying up Xbins with ten million revisions.

However keep in mind the speed issues still exist.  But I am making numerous changes to the overall interface which will affect future emu's so I need as much feedback as possible.  Hopefully by the time the dust stirs maybe dante ali will have come up with a speedup.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2011, 02:59:00 AM »

Well thanks for the suggestion.  I think I was just looking at that site last week.  Aside from the fact that it seems long abandoned alot of the tutorials were incomplete.  Plus they did not go into alot of details on what all the different aspects of the code meant, how they worked, how one section feeds the next, etc.

It's kinda hard to explain.  Best example I've seen so far shows how to change the color of the pixels, or even switch the RGB pixels.  But that is hardly enough to do something as sophisticated as a filter.

Anywho I think I got the speed issue figured out (for non special chip games).  Just waiting for my cracked, uh I mean crack beta team to report back to me.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by madmab: Jun 22 2011, 10:01 AM

Rage518

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »

Ok well good to hear you think you were able to get the speed issue figured out cant wait to try it out
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5