xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: The "game Synopsis" Option  (Read 2167 times)

gilles9999

• Archived User
The "game Synopsis" Option
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »

Excellent work Franck!!
Plus the site allgame.com has a lot of "controls" for a lot of games for a lot of systems, a reference for the future synopsis!The genesis synopsis should be complete tomorrow!
the newest madmab neogenesis beta works well and can display the synopsis right (standard, centered to the left) i'll send it to you guys tomorrow with the complete genesis synopsis.
Crash1235 and franck you'll just have to say me if the synopsis is diplayed for all your roms (it must), in my case, the synopsis is displayed for all my roms. Who want to put all the known crc for all the entries in the synopsis?

Mega Man (?)

• Archived User
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »

Just out of curiosity,
Want roms sets do you use Gilles?
I hear talk about getting everyone's crc's but never the rom sets they use.

ps, Great job guys!

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »

I'm going to have a nightmare of a time adding the CRC's to this one myself.  Half my roms probably pre-date TOSEC, so I got a lot of manual labor to get this one working for me when Gilles is done with it.   jester.gif

crash1235

• Archived User
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »

Yea I just started on that myself. It going to be a huge job to add all my crc's too. I'd say less than half work at the moment.

How do you think we should go about sharing/adding our crc's? Because if we update and have to download a new synopsis we will have to add them all again. Maybe we need to have 1 synopsis txt file which we all pass around one by one and add our crc's to then that becomes the master which we add and update any new content to in the future.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »

That's exactly right crash...

I created the hot potato thread for the synopsis for 2 reasons...

1) So two people aren't making one at the same time like Gilles and Madmab did for the 5200  jester.gif

2) So nobody updates their CRC headers on it at the same time so one or more of them has to do it over.  

Whenever Gilles is done with it, it's your turn to add your own CRC's to it.  I'm sure Gilles will let us know.

Later,
~Rx

crash1235

• Archived User
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2009, 05:21:00 AM »

Sweet as. Have you guys done the same for the NES emulator or is that quite a lot further away than the Genesis synopsis.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »

The thread is updated and Crash has been given the potato for Genesis.

HOT POTATO THREAD (OR POTATOE IF YOUR DAN QUAIL)  Sorry..... that joke is almost as old as me.

crash1235

• Archived User
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »

Sweet i shall get on to it as soon as possible.

Mega Man (?)

• Archived User
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »

Hey Gilles

I could make a dat of my whole GoodGen Good set. If anyone needs it.

crash1235

• Archived User
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »

Hmm you could do it if you wanted but I have the GoodGEN 3.0 set myself so I dunno it might not be worth it. Once i've had added all my crc's it might be good to have a look at. smile.gif

crash1235

• Archived User
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »

Ok then here is the synopsis with all my crc's added. Whew biggrin.gif . Interestingly almost all my Mega Drive roms (.md extention) were alredy there it was just about all the .gen ones that I had to do.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »

You can add as many good CRC's for a game as you want.  The only thing you have to be careful for is that you don't put the CRC's for hacks and translations in the main rom, since they're at the top and will be read first.  Would be a shame to block the ability to view info on a hacked game because it's pulling up the info for the original because of a misplaced CRC.....

I just have to add CRCs to the 5200/800 and 7800 synopsis myself.  The 5200 isn't done by any stretch now, but there is headline info for every game included in the Xtras now.  Much of that isn't even filled out yet, but all the synopsis are cleaned up and ready to have the info plugged in.  Alphabetical order sorted by category.

I'll get them uploaded when I get the CRC's together.

Later,
~Rx

FrankMorris

• Archived User
« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »

Exactly.

b4191bab,fbbb5b97
Landstalker - The Treasures of King Nole
Platform: Sega Genesis
Region: USA
Media: Cartridge
Controller: Gamepad
Genre: Role-Playing > Console-style RPG
Region: USA
Release Year: 1993
Developer: Climax Entertainment
Publisher: Sega
Players: 1

Since there is that "Region:" line, we should be VERY CAREFULLY, when adding new CRC's.
I like the Gilles first (1) solution, where every region have it's own entry.

When I get the Genesis potato, I will add No-Intro CRC's.
I see you already updated all headline information Gilles, GREAT!!

EDIT: I don't know.. Maybe we just have to discard licenced Europe roms and focus on only RessurectionXtras. If we add all known region entries and all CRC's for all Games, the result is, that we have like 10mb synopsis.txt! I'm scared of memory usage!

The ULTIMATE BEST SOLUTION could be that we have like 5 different synopsis.txt files, and user can choose which one he use by the menu:

synopsis_goodgen.txt
synopsis_no-intro.txt
synopsis_offlinelist.txt
synopsis_ressurectionxtras.txt
synopsis_tosec.txt

Too much work I think. So thats why I say let's only focus on RessurectionXtras. Someday someone will make synopsis files for different sets. I believe.

EDIT2: Other solution:
QUOTE(gilles9999 @ Apr 10 2009, 08:21 PM) View Post
-- (2) We forget The "REGION" in the HEADLINE INFORMATION, and we put all the known crc's for one game, but, in that case, the rom name displayed will be the same for the Us, Euro and Jap version.

crash1235

• Archived User
« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »

Yea i just made sure I added my (U) roms if there are any others (J) (E) etc. it was by mistake.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »

I didn't forget the region.  My ultimate goal has been only to display the synopsis information for the games that I have used in the Xtras.  The format I have always used is (US) first, then (E), then (J).  If there is a game that I already have in the US set that isn't any different besides a title screen it doesn't make my lists.  I have done my very best to make sure that all playable and readable games have made the lists, and a few others have come with me after they went over it with a fine tooth comb and suggest things I have missed.

I don't have any problem with having extra stuff on the lists because it doesn't hurt us memory-wise, but I would prefer that all of that stuff makes it to the bottom of the lists in an "Alternate Roms" category instead of cluttering up the stuff that matches the work I have done.  By all means, if somebody wants to go to the extra work of copying synopsis' and changing the copy's region and making sure all the CRC headers are right, be my guest.  I just think it's a ton of extra work on a project that could already take us much longer than we might think now, and there's very little payoff for it.

Plus... if you want these alternate synopsis' to work, you can't just copy the CRC from the US version and paste it in the Europe/Japan version.  The emu reads the synopsis file from top to bottom.  If it sees the CRC for the US game first, it will stop there and show that instead of searching for the one you took the time to copy into the alternate roms.  Same with the hacks and translations, so.....

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN JUST BLINDLY ADDING CRC'S TO THE SYNOPSIS FILE FROM DATS!!!!!!!!!

I'd much prefer after the synopsis have already been created with crc's provided that people just take the time to add any CRCs for games they have personally that don't show up.  That way, the user will know if the rom CRC they are adding is for the exact game they want to add and they won't cause problems for the alternative games that have legitimately made it into the Xtras.  

I can only go back and fix the same things so many times before I pull my hair out of my head.  I'm not yelling or nothing here... I just don't know how aware you guys are of how this thing works and how if we're not extremely careful when we do this we could "break" the synopsis.   With all the entries we have to do, there are a million different ways we could accidentally do this if we sleepwalk through the process.

The way I have been using the regions is to show the region of the games that I have included.

If the game is a prototype or hack, I would make it like this:

Region: USA (Prototype)
Region: USA (Update Hack)

I personally think it looks a ton better this way than putting it after the title like:

"Title: Castlevania Adventure (Speed Hack)".

The above would be prime examples of what could possibly get screwed up.  If somebody were to add Gameboy CRC's for Castlevania Adventure from a dat and not take the time to remove the CRC for the hack that I included, we've effectivley blocked the ability to pull up the hack information.

~Rx

P.S.  The 7800 synopsis is done (for this round) and the 5200 should be complete with my updated CRCs tomorrow.  I'll post them both when I get the chance and relinquish the hot potato on them.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13