xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Atarixlbox v7  (Read 1204 times)

room88

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »

This emulator kicks ass. Atari 5200 was always a pain in the butt to get working on the Xbox. Now it's painless.

antiflag1980

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »

Thanks! It's good to see someone actually pick up something where XPort left off. Thanks to both of you.

madmab

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »

If anyone has any questions about the 5200, feel free to ask.

Things in particular, some games like "missile command" and "pengo" play better with trackball mode on, although you may need to lower the sensitivity some (70-80).

Set "dual analog" to "yes" for Robotron and Space Dungeon and you can use both the left and right analog stick.  Left for movement and right for firing.  biggrin.gif  Lots of fun!

rubarb

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »

Hi madmab, just wanted to say thanks for the updated emu, very nice  wink.gif  love boulderdash on A800, best version I think.

and a question:

why in certain games does the screen jerk and shudder all over the place, making it impossible to play , example is "one man and his droid" is this a known bug with the emulator and is there a setting somewhere to fix it ?   unsure.gif

madmab

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »

Really?  I don't remember having that problem with that game but Ill give it a try again since it has been a few compiles since I tried it..

I just checked it.  Go into the configuration options (press B when selecting the game), go to the "computer specific options" and set the video mode to "PAL" the game relies on PAL timings which update every 50th of a second.

rubarb

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »

yep, that worked, thanks  smile.gif

sotu

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 02:33:00 AM »

Thanks so much for your hard work on this project it definitely shows.  Just this week I've gotten inspired to work on updating my box and was doing a search for the top atari 5200 games and saw Gremlins and Jr Pacman which I hadn't heard of before and both sounded like alot of fun.  

I tried to get ver 6 working and it was hit or miss just to get a screen that looked right let alone boot the game and play anything.  Then finding ver7 at the usual places I was flabbergasted by the monumental amount of work you put into this.  

Someone commented on making the next build idiot proof, well this masterpiece you put together with xports help is totally idiot proof for anyone wanting to play Atari 5200 roms.  I'm so happy to see the scene still kickin ass and taking names over a year since our black boxes were declared dead.

My only wish is to have shorcuts supported on all the emu's.  But that's just a dream.

Thank you so much for your work, I only wish more people appreciated the magnificence of our "dead" black boxes.

madmab

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »

Thanks.  I was determined to make the 5200 games more "plug -n- play" so to speak.  Because I figured most "sets" out there contain the 5200 ROMs anyways.  It actually ended up increasing my appreciation for the 5200.  Before that I did not really care about the "analog" sticks.  Only thing that might annoy some people is the "centering" junk in 5200 games.  For example in Ms. Pacman you have to at least move the stick in all four directions to get complete control.  Plus fixing the "trackball mode" stuff created some other annoyances, but surprisingly the original 5200 did those things as well.  laugh.gif

The way I did autoconfig is not exactly the best way but I have not really thought of a better just yet.  Maybe I'll just make up something similar to the cheat code custom file.  I just didn't want to hold up the release.  I would have ended up "tweaking" the thing forever.

I really need to put together some type of (Atari 8-bit computer cartridge set that consists of it's cartridges and the XEG cartridges).  The XEG was a console style system Atari released later on that consisted of machine, detachable keyboard, used standard atari 8-bit computer cart slots and controllers.

schwally

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »

Can anyone help me get this to work.  I have the emulator installed, my rom (joust.a52), but when I go to load it, it goes to the atari symbol and then shoots back into the emulator.  What are the settings I need to make this work?  Thanks

schwally

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »

Nevermind, I must have had the old version.  Thanks for all the work.

madmab

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »

I'm glad you figured that out.  I was wondering if you had an older version.  biggrin.gif

mikejf

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »

Great improvements on the 5200 emu.
Just one small thing; the emulation's sound volume is low compaired to the skin and mp3 volumes. Is there a way you could make the volumes about the same, like boost the emu sound?

Also did anyone try taking an xbox controller and remove the centering springs for the left stick? It might try it on a junk controller to play missile command without always fighting the centering springs.

Mike

madmab

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »

Just put Missile Command in track ball mode at about 70% speed.  It will be much easier to play than with the non-trackball setup.

As for the sound, that has always bothered me.  I just never got around to looking into it.  I have some "auto config file" changes I'll probably be making sometime in the near future so if I get a chance I'll see what I can do.

annell

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »

Thank you for the infos, about the trackball!

ressurectionx

• Archived User
Atarixlbox v7
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »

Hey madmab,

Just tried your emulator and it's a vast improvement over the old one.  I really like the ability to bring up the overlay cards.  

I was just wondering... did you ever get Bounty Bob Strikes Back working?  I still can't get it to work.

I can get a lot of games to work with ease, but I have problems starting a bunch of them though too.  Which button is the Start Button?

Games that don't work for me at all:

Boogie
Bounty Bob Strikes Back
Castle Crisis
Koffi - Yellow Kopter

Games I can't get to start once they are on:
Astro Chase
Berzerk
Castle Blast
Centepede

Actually.... I'm having problems getting a lot of them to start.  I'm probalby doing something workng.  Any ideas?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4