xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Xbox Emulation Repository  (Read 1015 times)

Pytzamarama

• Archived User
Xbox Emulation Repository
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 05:25:00 AM »

The only bad thing about the XBOX is the damned FATX

And although we can get over it in the consola naming conventions,the real big trouble is the computer disc equipped systems (Amiga,Atari ST),the ones that span over one disk (they finnish like _disk(1 of 13) etc)

Now,ss far as the topic...
I would suggest that we all start with the same rom packs (good,tosec etc).So can first make a list of ALL  the emulated systems and the rom pack to use for each.
Then we build and run the same renaming batches for each (so we have the same rom names)
Finnaly we start taking screenshots or rename the existing ones.

In the end we will have full emulators-rom-screenshots packs.

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pytzamarama @ Sep 4 2008, 02:01 PM) View Post

The only bad thing about the XBOX is the damned FATX

Amen brother, a-fucking-men.

I wish someone could like.. reverse engineer the original xbox bios or something and then reprogram it
so that the xbox could run on ntsf or something like that, anything that allows for larger filenames would be a welcome addition.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(VampX @ Sep 10 2008, 03:51 PM) View Post

Amen brother, a-fucking-men.

I wish someone could like.. reverse engineer the original xbox bios or something and then reprogram it
so that the xbox could run on ntsf or something like that, anything that allows for larger filenames would be a welcome addition.

I know you're just as frustrated as I am with that prohibition by now as I am VampX, but the stench of the sarcasm dripping from the end of that post is staggering.   cool.gif

That being said, I'll get to work on it right away....

Wish me luck,
~Rx

Pytzamarama,

I'm not making fun of you at all man.  Just getting a good laugh cause Vamp usually brings one.  You're dealing with my pain in the ass about systems like that now.  Most of those are before my time too so I haven't really spent much time on them myself.  

If you guys are doing a project here though, I implore you to look at my stickied thread first.  (just click the banner in my sig).   A ton of this work is done already (artwork mostly by me, and videos converted from emumovies, and tons done by other friends I've made here).

You guys are welcome to link to the thread here if you want a place for people to download it if you like it.  I'd just prefer that you link to my thread if you aren't changing anything though.  That way it gets more exposure for help with work on the project.

In the future, preferably when everything is complete, if there's a way for the repository to host this stuff in a more user-friendly manner, I wouldn't have any objections for them being hosted elsewhere if I was allowed in the project to make sure that proper thanks are given where they're do and that all the other instructions and things were handled right.

Check out the Xtras... you'll like em,
~Rx

EDITED TO ADD:  Most of the renaming is done on about 13 emulators now.  I've got them renamed within the 42 limit and in a way where the first game in a series shows up before the second (ie:  Duck Tales is named Duck Tales I so it shows up before Duck Tales II)

You guys do the Amegia and ST and systems like that that I haven't done and I'm happy to add them.  I wanted to do that all myself eventually, but to see enthusiasm from somebody else who might be able and willing to help with such tedious tasks is pretty exciting.  After doing around 3 or 4 thousand games, and all the artwork, I know full well the project that lay before you.

Full credit where it's due as always.  Good luck.

Hope to see you on board soon,
~Rx

Retroplay

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Sep 10 2008, 05:08 PM) View Post

You guys do the Amegia and ST and systems like that that I haven't done and I'm happy to add them.

What's an Amegia ?... oh wait.. Amiga. tongue.gif
Is it really worth making any previews for WinUAEX, IIRC Xport disabled music in the menu because of RAM limitations.
So wouldn't video previews be out of the question aswell ?
It would be sweet tho, WinUAEX is one of my favourite emulators (ZsneXbox being the other).  love.gif

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Sep 10 2008, 05:08 PM) View Post

but the stench of the sarcasm dripping from the end of that post is staggering.   cool.gif

What sarcasm?

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008, 01:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(Retroplay @ Sep 11 2008, 04:04 PM) View Post

What's an Amegia ?... oh wait.. Amiga. tongue.gif
Is it really worth making any previews for WinUAEX, IIRC Xport disabled music in the menu because of RAM limitations.
So wouldn't video previews be out of the question aswell ?
It would be sweet tho, WinUAEX is one of my favourite emulators (ZsneXbox being the other).  love.gif

Well I was involved in creating screenshots for the emulation repository based off of gamebase for non no-intro stuff ( Atari ST, Amiga, C64 ). I stuck mostly to older and computer systems.

I chose gamebase for the ST and Amiga because they pick the sets that actually work.  laugh.gif  Unlike that potluck called Tosec.  I also was working on a set based off of a popular front end for Amiga games but the name slips my mind.  I really need to look into that front end and see if they ever updated it.

But you hit the nail on the head.  As much as I'd love to add vid previews for my second favorite computer system, the amiga, X-port had removed the music because of RAM issues.  It is possible, though, that those issues were created by the multiple codecs that the player used.  But I'm not really sure.

Memory limitations is an area I am not very well acquainted with when it comes to programming the xbox.

Cospefogo

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 07:12:00 AM »

Well,

FAT-X for me was never a real problem.
I agree it turns out file name of games with long names into a mess,
but anyway - the game is still playable.

It could be a problem if I had to rename all the 10.000 roms one by one,
adjusting every single name to fit inside the 42 characters policy, but it was really
NOT the case.

Everytime I needed to upload stuf t my Xbox I used the a program (don't remember
the name now) that renamed everything for me on a nice and quick way.
You can choose to "eat" spaces before "cutting out" letters from the name of
the file and many other options.

Long named games were automatically converted to things like this:
Downtown-NekketsuKoushinKyoku-Sorey(J)
DragonBallZGaiden-SaiyaJinZetsumets(J)
GanbareGoemonGaiden-KietaOugonKiser(J)
HokutonoKen4-ShichiseiHakenDen-Hoku(J)

Well... I agree it is ugly, but works,
and after all I did not need to rename game by game, one by one.

Cheers,
Cospefogo.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »

Don't worry.  I've done them all by hand and will release the datfiles at one point or another.  They look much better than what that tool does, without a doubt.

Of course, I don't like leaving the (J) or whatever junk at the end of the romnames, so it might not be for everybody.

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(VampX @ Sep 11 2008, 10:29 PM) View Post

What sarcasm?

Whaaaaaaat sarcasm?  blink.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3]