xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Atari7800x V1  (Read 1296 times)

madmab

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »

As far as I know a "Pal" 7800 was never created.

I tried both Rampage ROMS that I have in MESS on the PC as well as on two 7800 emu's.  One of which is pretty well known for it's accuracy and they all had the green sky.

JLsoft

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »

After looking around, I guess the 7800 palette in MESS is well-known to be off a bit, but I haven't seen anything relating to anyone accurately fixing it :/  (So yeah, it's a V7800/MESS core issue)

...and there was definately a PAL 7800...a revision of them added Asteroids built into the BIOS for when you turn the system on without a cartridge smile.gif

http://www.atari7800...mpagescreen.htm has some shots from a TV...you can see that it's a blue sky there smile.gif  (I know the text there looks a little more 'pink', like the green-skied MESS version, but look at the difference between the color of the helicopter and the sky...the sky is definately blue tongue.gif)

I still have no idea what emu the 'good' palette shot is from though...there aren't exactly a large number of different emulators :/

[EDIT: Annnnnnd, never mind...looks like the difference can be seen between the old STELLA palette and the fixed new one tongue.gif  

See: http://www.atariage....showtopic=83650 (I know the topic is about the Atari 8-bit computer line but everything has the same palette...not sure how I didn't remember this post, since I downloaded and tested the palettes long ago)

(The emulator I tested palette-changing with is ProSystem)

It'd probably be a simple matter for XPort to swap in the 'fixed' palette values (maybe as optional?) if he wanted to bother.]

hargle

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2006, 11:16:00 AM »

Thanks JLSoft for your research into this issue!
I can certainly ask around on mobygames to see who/how that screenshot was created.

QUOTE(JLsoft @ Sep 2 2006, 05:36 PM) View Post

It'd probably be a simple matter for XPort to swap in the 'fixed' palette values (maybe as optional?) if he wanted to bother.]

As a core problem, this is certainly above and beyond the call of duty for xport to fix.  I'd love to see it, but I'm still so overjoyed to see this port in the first place, that there's no way I'm complaining!  tongue.gif

thanks everyone.

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(JLsoft @ Sep 2 2006, 09:36 AM) View Post
After looking around, I guess the 7800 palette in MESS is well-known to be off a bit, but I haven't seen anything relating to anyone accurately fixing it :/  (So yeah, it's a V7800/MESS core issue)

...and there was definately a PAL 7800...a revision of them added Asteroids built into the BIOS for when you turn the system on without a cartridge smile.gif

http://www.atari7800...mpagescreen.htm has some shots from a TV...you can see that it's a blue sky there smile.gif  (I know the text there looks a little more 'pink', like the green-skied MESS version, but look at the difference between the color of the helicopter and the sky...the sky is definately blue tongue.gif )

I still have no idea what emu the 'good' palette shot is from though...there aren't exactly a large number of different emulators :/

[EDIT: Annnnnnd, never mind...looks like the difference can be seen between the old STELLA palette and the fixed new one tongue.gif  

See: http://www.atariage....showtopic=83650 (I know the topic is about the Atari 8-bit computer line but everything has the same palette...not sure how I didn't remember this post, since I downloaded and tested the palettes long ago)

(The emulator I tested palette-changing with is ProSystem)

Is this the only noticable on Rampage?  i don't have this game, but haven't noticed any issues on any of the (admittedly, now very few) roms i have for this system....my monitor seems to be having a the beginings of a problem so i'm not sure i can trust it (my monitor) to give accurate color.

XPort

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]