xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Command Line Support  (Read 430 times)

Palmtree

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« on: March 16, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »

This could be good news indeed! I really hope something comes of it.

BanjoK

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »

This is excellent news. Thank you for your efforts Thraxen. This is perfect timing for what I have planned.

Thraxen

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 10:55:00 PM »

Yeah, people have asked for support for this feature on the forums and discussed it from time to time over the last couple of years,  but I was surprised when I searched and found that no one had ever submitted it as a formal request over at Source Forge for XBMC.  

I really hope this guy can get it implemented and added into XBMC.  I would love to be able to make a section in my XBMC dash with direct links to my favorite games from the various Xport emulators.  If this does work out, hopefully we'll be able to have icons for these command lines as well.  It's be nice to have a section with the box art of the games that you could just select and that game would launch automatically.  Perhaps if all goes well Lantus could be convinced to put the same command line option into xSNES9x as well... but that's jumping the gun a bit... let's just hope the Xport emulators get supported first .

guybird

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »

So theoretically they could flesh this out and make a section under Emulators for "Nintendo" which could then display Box art icons for every rom in your specified rom directory?  Basically you would initially configure XBMC to point to a Nintendo roms folder, and have it launch any file (.zip or .nes) from that directory using the specified emulator (in this case FCEU).  Seems like a very easy step to make once they work out any bugs with the single file command line launching.

samsbak

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 02:23:00 AM »

THANK YOU -T-!

I could finally do my mameox with video previews in unleashx...I have the vids ready to go ...but writing all those long multiple command line entries in an xml would take forever...there would have to be some config app for that purpose... cool.gif

guybird

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »

Here's an update from the thread at sourceforge:

Date: 2006-03-17 01:12
Sender: guybird
Logged In: YES
user_id=1478516

Just to add to this, if it would be easy to implement,
would it be feesible to do a blanket launch for an entire
rom folder?  Basically you would set a rom folder in XBMC,
and then specify the program used to launch any file from
that folder with (the relevent emulator).  This would
allow for icon based selection (namely box art, or even
cart scans for that extra effect) for any rom that runs in
an Xport emulator.  That covers a LOT of different
systems, and would really spice up the XBMC experience.

Date: 2006-03-17 09:54
Sender: zerodefect00
user_id=1470084

that is exactally what i was going to do, i also need the
same feature (i like to keep things very organized). ill
begin work today and keep you posted!

So barring any unforseen problems, looks like we'll have icon based rom selection from XBMC!!!  Only downside is that the XBMC is on the freeze/bug bash for now, so I don't know how long until they're back to normal business.

Thraxen

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(guybird @ Mar 18 2006, 08:40 PM) View Post

So barring any unforseen problems, looks like we'll have icon based rom selection from XBMC!!!  Only downside is that the XBMC is on the freeze/bug bash for now, so I don't know how long until they're back to normal business.

Getting ready for another official version change then.  Probably going to release it with or shortly after the new 360 skin.  So hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Sounds promising...Hopefully since JezzX is actively working on UnleashX you can let him in on this...His dash is very robust...could be a better option for video previews!

Honestly, he doesn't need to be "let in" on anything.  Xport has had this information out there for the dash devs for a very long time now and they have all ignored it.  Though maybe some of the other dash devs will take notice if zerodefect00 is successful in his attempt to add this feature to XBMC.

As far as video previews go, that would take a ton of time and waste a whole lot of space to make previews for a bunch of ROMS.   The videos would all be bigger than the games themselves.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 01:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(samsbak @ Mar 19 2006, 01:54 PM) View Post

Sounds promising...Hopefully since JezzX is actively working on UnleashX you can let him in on this...His dash is very robust...could be a better option for video previews!

jester.gif  laugh.gif  jester.gif  laugh.gif  jester.gif
I don't program UnleashX the guy with the nick UnleashX on this forum does I moderate the forum
 rolleyes.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 05:36:00 AM »

No updates  sad.gif

Thraxen

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »

The the feature request for command line support over at Source Forge has been updated and it looks like it has been implemented to a certain degree.  If I read the update correctly, it appears that we can now use shortcuts (.cut files) in XBMC to link directly to and launch specific ROMS.  But it doesn't appear that we yet have the ability to attach any icons to these shortcuts.  

So I'm guessing that we could create a directory in XBMC that is full of .cut files and be able to browse that list and launch ROMS from there.  It won't be pretty, but it's more than half way there anyway. Now we just need someone to actually allow us to assign icons to these .cut files.

Here is a what the update says:
Date: 2006-04-30 12:03
Sender: spiff_
user_id=1238521

i had to fix a bug so with shortcuts so i piggiebacked this
onto it. however it's not exactly what u wanted.

i added support for specifying custom parameters (i.e. roms)
in shortcut .cut files.

now go bug your favorite skin author.

it's the best you'll get, atleast for a while.

[edit] Spiff just responded to my last query and apparently he meant to say 'script' author, not skin author.

Palmtree

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »

This is great news. I honestly didn't think this would get implemented anytime soon. Sucks that there are no icons yet, but I don't think it would be too hard to add in the future, even if it's just something as simple as "nameofshortcut.tbn" files.

Thraxen

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »

Now I just need a new build of XBMC to try this out.

Palmtree

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »

Ok, a new version of XBMC is out. I just don't know the syntax for the .cut file to test this.

guybird

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 11:03:00 PM »

I'm clueless on how to make a cut file, but to get icons for the roms you could grab a png from one of our packs at http:/xbox.nugnugnug.com and rename it to .tbn and scale it down to 25x25 (I think that's the size of XBMC icons).  I'm assuming the cut file is nothing more than a text file with some options to have it launch another program/app.  If someone gets it figured out, please post the syntax/format it needs to be in here.

XPort

• Archived User
Command Line Support
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »

CODE

E:\roms\nesroms
E:\emulators\nes\default.xbe

Then whenever you select any file in E:\roms\nesroms, it will launch E:\emulators\nes\default.xbe with the selected file as a parameter.

Pages: [1] 2