xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: No Sega Saturn Emu  (Read 1116 times)

VampX

• Archived User
No Sega Saturn Emu
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Feb 24 2008, 02:32 AM) View Post

I believe if anything, we might see one once homebrew activity spikes on either the 360 or the PS3.

wishfull thinking, but i reaaaaaaaally doubt that someone will just make a Saturn emulator because the 360 or PS3 are capable of homebrews.
99% of the emulators we have on the xbox1 are ports of PC emulators, and it will be the same for the 360 and PS3,
i really doubt some programmer will wake up and say "omg xbox360 & ps3 run homebrew now? time to create that Saturn emulator!"

if anything those consoles will get a port of a PC based emulator, but then it will still be pcsxbox all over again.

(which brings us to the funny topic of people believing emulation becomes better with higher cpu speeds)

So many people think that speed is everything, but did you know that if epsxe was opensource we'd have
an excellent ps1 emulator on our xbox by now? sure no heavy filters and high res options,
but we'd have an amazing ps1 emulator that ran pretty much whatever we'd throw at it.

yet so many people think that pcsxbox will magically become the best emulator when it gets that extra cpu speed to work with.
(seriously i've seen so many posts where people ask if more ram or cpu will fix the poor emulation)

the emu itself is poor people! a faster cpu or more ram won't change that.

Same with the Saturn, most coders would prefer to create their "ultimate" Saturn emulator on PC
before porting it to a console, there's just more people to reach on the PC platform.

I predict that we'll get excellent ports of the emulators we already have on the xbox1,
and some enhanced ports like MAME that will use the extra ram and cpu of the 360/ps3

and maybe we'll notice a sliiiiiight improvement in the N64 and PS1 emulation, but only slightly,
(more ram and cpu are always handy, but it just wont fix the poor emulation of the original emulator)

not that it matters, people will demand PS2 emulators anyway, because the threesixtaaay and da pee-es-three can easily run a ps2 emulator right? rite??
and we'll get a port of pcsx2, which emulates even worse then pcsx1.

the more things change the more they stay the same, and in the end we'll still have no Saturn emu  biggrin.gif

VampX

• Archived User
No Sega Saturn Emu
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(xRaVeNx @ Mar 1 2008, 04:51 PM) View Post

Well, this one is quite decent

http://yabause.org/

if thats what you call decent then i don't want to know what you call bad, because that emulator (though very promising)
is not decent, i just tried out a couple games and the only one that was playable was Akumajo Dracula X Nocturne in the Moonlight,
the others (golden axe, street fighter zero 3, mortal kombat trilogy, house of the dead, all had problems.
golden axe ran okay but with video bugs and everything was slooooow (on my 3ghz pc)
sfz3 wouldnt even boot, mk trilogy would not even show up correctly and was slow, and house of the dead just crashed the emulator.

the idea of porting an emulator is that you can actually use it to play games.

VampX

• Archived User
No Sega Saturn Emu
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(xRaVeNx @ Mar 1 2008, 06:32 PM) View Post

Doesn't mean it  isn't possible..

I know its not impossible, its just kinda.. its not really worth it right now.
but when that emulator gets better compatability i'd love to see a port to xbox.
(if it got a DC port its probably optimized to the max, so an xbox port would be possible)

but right now i just don't see why anyone would want to bother with doing a port, the emulation really needs allot more work.

but its looking extremely promising, if he keeps up the good work then maybe in 1 or 2 years
an xbox port of it would be a very nice thing to have.  biggrin.gif

xRaVeNx

• Archived User
No Sega Saturn Emu
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »

Dude that a sad state of mind....

Thats the exact same as saying, why port any of these or even have emulators since the xbox has better graphics...

Did you even play a Sega Saturn, Guardian Heroes & Shining Force 3 & Policenauts, top Saturn Games

You know what, I would buy a Saturn, if it didn't have a copy protection, like a dreamcast, or if it didn't take up space, thats like buying every system and game, for every emulator and rom, that I have on my xbox...

get real

HotKnife420

• Archived User
No Sega Saturn Emu
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »

I was stating that homebrew on 360/PS3  would develop interest in Saturn emulation because many people who are into porting the code aren't interested in the xbox1 anymore. There's plenty of people who still are (and the DC port signifies xbox1 programming is still far from dead), and we also stand a chance to have better Saturn emulation on the PC by then as well. As buggy as pcsxbox and surreal64 are, I see no reason a saturn wip should be unfavorable. In fact, if the person doing the port is skilled enough, they might could clean up the code a bit while optimizing it for the console.

QUOTE(VampX @ Mar 1 2008, 05:58 PM) View Post

if thats what you call decent then i don't want to know what you call bad, because that emulator (though very promising)
is not decent, i just tried out a couple games and the only one that was playable was Akumajo Dracula X Nocturne in the Moonlight,
the others (golden axe, street fighter zero 3, mortal kombat trilogy, house of the dead, all had problems.
golden axe ran okay but with video bugs and everything was slooooow (on my 3ghz pc)
sfz3 wouldnt even boot, mk trilogy would not even show up correctly and was slow, and house of the dead just crashed the emulator.

the idea of porting an emulator is that you can actually use it to play games.

QUOTE(VampX @ Feb 24 2008, 06:51 PM) View Post

So many people think that speed is everything, but did you know that if epsxe was opensource we'd have
an excellent ps1 emulator on our xbox by now? sure no heavy filters and high res options,
but we'd have an amazing ps1 emulator that ran pretty much whatever we'd throw at it.

xRaVeNx

• Archived User
No Sega Saturn Emu
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »

6+ Pages of discussing the possibility of a Saturn Emulator on Xbox...

Yea, thats a 'whole lot' of no one wanting one...

Man, please...

'nuff said...

hellknight

• Archived User
No Sega Saturn Emu
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(xRaVeNx @ Mar 6 2008, 11:45 PM) View Post

Yea, thats a 'whole lot' of no one wanting one...

Man, please...

'nuff said...

First off its 6 pages of a few ppl saying they want it and the rest saying its not gonna happen second theres must alot of intrest in it since the topic officially died may 14 2006 and then some idiot necroed it on feb 9 2008 so yeah that proves ppl are really interested in it please man some emu's have 60 pages of intrest I suggest that the mods just close this thread, a saturn emu on the xbox may never come out so there is no need to leave this open for a flame war

VampX

• Archived User
No Sega Saturn Emu
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(xRaVeNx @ Mar 7 2008, 05:45 AM) View Post

More like :

Newbie : SUM1 MAKE SATURN EMOU ON XBOX

Old member : not possible "shitload of reasons"

Newbie : U HAVENT TRIED THIS EMOELATOR YET!

Old member : yes we have, either no source or the emulator is not advanced enough yet.

*Newbie insults the old member for hating on the Saturn*

*topic dies and time passes*

Old member : yes we have, either no source or the emulator is not advanced enough yet.

scitek

• Archived User
No Sega Saturn Emu
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »

Eh, I can understand how people would want a Saturn emulator. I ran a search because I'm interested in playing Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Dragoon Saga, and they're not games that'll ever be had "dirt cheap", unfortunately.

Example 1

Example 2

EDIT: And I have a US Saturn.

VampX

• Archived User
No Sega Saturn Emu
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(scitek @ Mar 14 2008, 07:20 AM) View Post

Eh, I can understand how people would want a Saturn emulator. I ran a search because I'm interested in playing Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Dragoon Saga, and they're not games that'll ever be had "dirt cheap", unfortunately.

Example 1

Example 2

EDIT: And I have a US Saturn.

What does the price of a game have to do with using an emulator?
install a region switch and a modchip to your Sega Saturn and you can play whatever game you want.
and you won't have any crappy emulation going on which would ruin the game experience.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]