xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Skinning Current Discussion  (Read 215 times)

XPort

• Archived User
Skinning Current Discussion
« on: August 29, 2004, 06:00:00 PM »

This is the main discussion thread for skinning.

Use this thread to do any of the following:

Ask a question about skinning
Report a bug about the skinning system
Submit a feature request for the skinning system

Do not use this thread to post about topics other than skinning.
Do not post questions/bug reports/feature requests without first reading the FAQs for skinning.
Do not ask where these projects can be downloaded.

Rule violators will get one warning. After that, you will be temporarily or permanently banned depending on the situation. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it has taken me a cumulatively long time to write the FAQs for these projects. If you cannot do me the courtesy of taking the time to read them, then I do not want you posting here.

This thread will be pruned/cleaned periodically. If you had a question in this thread and it is now gone, then it was either in violation of the rules or your answer can now be found in the FAQs section.

XPort

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 08:11:00 AM »

That's up to J-Red.  He's a busy man.

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 07:52:00 PM »

I used the XBox Image Grabber program to take actual screen shots of Koitsu's skins running.  You can see them here:  Emulator Skins

Koitsu

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 11:52:00 PM »

good lookin out. any updates might be pretty slow in the making. i have another LoM skin (it's one of my favorite games), but i've been running out of allocated memory with my last skins. i want to release the earthbound skin, but i'll have to remove a car sprite to make room. well, sometime this week.

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »

I've got a question about skinning... I'm attempting to make my own skin for PCSXBox but I'm not sure what all the lines in the ini file mean.  For example:
[GAME_SELECT_MENU_bkg]
bkg=SELECTBKG.PNG
transparency=255
border_width=25
screenshot_x=453
screenshot_y=238
screenshot_w=120
screenshot_h=101
screenshot_transparency=255
animation_delay=0

[MAIN_MENU_effect1]
effect=1
offsetx=171
offsety=191
lengthx=7
lengthy=100
multiplierx=17
multipliery=7
multiplier_general=37
framespeed=10
numsprites=0
spritenum=-1
movespeed=2992
transparency=255
size=18
flip_horiz=0
flip_vert=0

What do the "screenshot_x" (_y, _w, _h) lines mean?  I mean, I know what those variables are, but how do they affect a background image?  I would guess that X and Y might define placement, but what about W and H?  My first guess would be they define the size, but they don't seem to because those setting were being applied to a 640x480 image and it took up the whole screen... so it was certainly larger than 120x101.

Then in the second section, what do any of those settings apply to?

guybird

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 02:25:00 AM »

I would believe as you said that X & Y are the placement values and W & H represent Width & Height.  At first I would be skeptical like you that such a small number wouldn't make for a fullscreen image, but after my dealings with modifying the sizes on the fly on my tv, I know that in the lower resolutions (480i/p) that it probably wouldn't have to be very big at all to be full screen.  My reasoning for that is when I switch to 1080i, my screen size only takes up a tiny portion in the upper left corner.  Once I finish stretching it to fill my screen, the numbers end up as something like 2,000 X 1,100 or something.  At first I thought it should resemble something closer to 1,084 by 768, but I'm assuming that the screen size #'s might not neccesarily represent a true resolution.  With that being said, my 2,000 X 1,100 size at 1080i is about 10x bigger than my normal 480p settings, so according to that my normal size is 200 x 110.  Go figure.

ElGatoAzul

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 09:48:00 AM »

Hello.
I'm trying to make a skin for neogenesis (in fact i already made it). The skining engine is very powerful but i found several limitations/bugs/sugestions:

*Screenshoot position/size in "All Other menu" doesnt' works, it appears always at the default position/size.
*An option to adjust the size/position for "Popup menu" background will be very appreciated.
 *Sprites doesn't appear in popup menu. (i konw it is only a popup but...... tongue.gif)
*An option to save settings.ini when you change the skin configuration with the emu gui will be very appreciated.
*Backgrounds (640x480) appears cropped in my tv. I resized the image and it suits perfect but i don't know how it will appear in other televisions.

Any help/comment will be very apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Excuse me if i seem rude, my english is very limitated  sad.gif