xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Vice64x Current Discussion  (Read 880 times)

edwardar

• Archived User
Vice64x Current Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 02:07:00 AM »

I have a problem navigating games in the gamebase collection:

Let's say I want to play Mood (a C64 Doom clone!), so I go to the gamebase 'M' directory and start scrolling down with the right trigger button.  The first 100 or so games scroll very quickly, but when I get to something like 'Microprose Soccer' then the scrolling becomes much, much slower.  It then takes about 5 minutes to scroll down as far as Mood.

Has anyone else had this problem?

One workaround could be to have the left and right digital pad skip between second letters of games when in gamebase mode, i.e. ma... mb... mc... etc.

Ed

Retroplay

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 06:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (edwardar @ Oct 5 2004, 10:10 AM)
I have a problem navigating games in the gamebase collection:

Let's say I want to play Mood (a C64 Doom clone!), so I go to the gamebase 'M' directory and start scrolling down with the right trigger button.  The first 100 or so games scroll very quickly, but when I get to something like 'Microprose Soccer' then the scrolling becomes much, much slower.  It then takes about 5 minutes to scroll down as far as Mood.

Has anyone else had this problem?

One workaround could be to have the left and right digital pad skip between second letters of games when in gamebase mode, i.e. ma... mb... mc... etc.

Ed

I had the exact same problem with my old (faulty?) Maxtor harddrive.
Replaced it with a new Maxtor and the problem was gone.

edwardar

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 08:32:00 AM »

ok, thanks.. perhaps my hard drive has become fragmented.  If I copy everying off the xbox, then back on - would that reduce fragmentation?

Ed

kimota2004

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 08:50:00 AM »

I think a fresh format would most likely help it.

fj4

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »

just a small bug--
if the left stick is pressed in while the music control menu is already displayed, it will bring up another menu overlapping the current one. (the menu needs to be closed multiple times if this happens)

weblaus

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »

Seeing that it has been a while since it got mentioned last, I'd humbly like to second the wish for a VICE64X update including the nifty new menu options and most importantly the very useful "Force PAL50"-switch that were included in a number of the more recent Xport emulators a little bit ago.

That would be really great.

Thanks,
Weblaus.

WarriorNine

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »

Hello all,

I am having trouble with Vice64x_v4. Specifically, I can't seem to get this program to run off disc. I have downloaded the application (which seems complete), created an image just as I have for other programs I run off disc (like Kawa or FBA), and burned it to disc. My Xbox simply will not read the disc; giving the usual disc error message, though it reads all others just fine. I'm sure it's a matter of renaming some configuration file, but I'm not familiar with Vice, so I'm stuck. If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it greatly.

If you wish to contact me via email, my address is [email protected].

Thanks for your help!

Adropacrich2

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »

I have long admired the hard work Xport has put into bringing our fave emulators to Xbox.Without his effort we would only be able to play them on PC which spoils the experience somewhat for me.It really is a dream to be able to see these games as they were intended originally.Thank you so much.

A reason for my entering this post is because while i have always wanted to congradulate Xport for your wondefull ports,i have just the slightest niggle with one aspect of your work that seems to carry over to all projects.It's a flaw that is also shared it seems with Mame ox but not with the snes port of Lantus's.

The issue is sound and mostly i notice this with Vice 64-all versions,b love.gif ut certainly it appears to be the same thing happening with all ports.Let me say however that this is actually somthing people don't seem to be noticing.The sound itself is very clear be it running in NTSC or PAL -(Enigma) and so this is not a complaint about stuttering or anything.It also has absolutely nothing to do with the filters as it is exactly the same no matter what you choose.Having used the original Vice emulator for some time now i can very confidently say that sound is less smooth on the xbox version and it has real trouble with sustained high notes.Just about any game that has these high notes is noticably rough on XboxVice though only if you understand how the sound should be sounding.

With most of these emulators of course the sounds being heard are from less than sophisticated sound chips of the time and so it is less of a big deal but the C64 had such wonderfull sound that to hear these notes kind of flickering up high is a bit upsetting,wincing even.I did wonder if perhaps the sound hardware of the Xbox was to blame but the sid player part of Snes and Vice is spot on with none of the above happening.I am aware of course that this sid player may not be part of the same Vice code so this would be why i hear differences here.

Both myself and a couple of c64 owning pals have all noticed this problem and beetween us we have a total of 6 machines.So while it's clear that this is an issue that most people using these great ports of yours will probably not notice , it most cetainly is still an issue for people that truly know how Vice pc sounds.

Luckily we can still listen to the music from the games and listen to it in a better reproduced way coming from the sid player but we would dearly love this area of your port of Vice to be perfected so the whole experience can be enjoyed more.

many thanks

hope you don't hate me

uiibaa

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »

http://unusedino.de/...vic656x/colors/

I thought you might want to take a look at this, so that you can adjust the colours to display properly on a TV.  I was comparing your emulator with the original hardware, and there was quite a difference.   Everything I'm using is NTSC, maybe your colours are set to PAL?  I'm using both the xbox and the c64 on a 1702 commodore monitor.  

Also, the aspect ratio seems to be off.  

But it's a great port, otherwise.  Thanks for all your hard work!

Adropacrich2

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »

Recently tried out frodo ,v5 i think and the sound handling although different of course to that of Vice , is sounding nicer than what it does on the Xbox Vice.

Frodo is not quite as great as Vice but for some games at least i can run them on Frodo for much closer sound emulation of output of sound.

It would be interesting to know who handled the sound part of the port for both Frodo and the great snes emulator as sound for these is as good as the original PC emulators and i notice that Lantus is part of the team involved.

Anyway no need to bother now with addressing sound issues it seems.

thanks

JAZ

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2005, 02:20:00 AM »

I'd like to put in the third vote for a future update to include support for GameBase v2.0. Other than that, the emulator seems perfect to me.

theLurch

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2005, 06:08:00 PM »

Sorry for the dp but I need to clarify.I select a .tap image then press shift/runstop (like on the old c64) and I get 'PRESS PLAY ON TAPE'.But I cant figure out how to get the emulator to start the tape playing

theLurch

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »

UPDATE:found out that a few files that are .tap automatically start the tape loading procedure and load fine but I can't get the others that don't automatically load to work.Anyone?

Chetwood

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2005, 05:34:00 AM »

Request for handling d64-images as subdirs

While I appreciate the great deal of work that must have been done on the port to make it work as good as it does now I'm still a little confused about of the controls. E.g. why not make it possible to select a d64 image and enter it like you would do with a directory by pressing 'A'?

My start screen is the Game Select screen where I have all my d64-images listed. Now when I press 'A' on one image the first game inside is loaded as default. Is there any way for me to map things differently so I can browse the contents of it first and only when selecting a game with 'A' would load it up and 'X' would open the game configuration menu? Speaking of which, when I'm in this menu and realize there's no game in this image that I wanna play, slecting 'B' I does not get me back to the Select Game menu but the default game is loaded. This behaviour is quite unintuitive and I'd like to change it.

BTW, how do you use Gamebase64 in conjuction with Vice64X and how do I get to use the run/stop key during gameplay?

Jetset Willy

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2005, 12:46:00 AM »

Oh please oh please, gamebase v3 support?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7