xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Boing Boing interview: Team-XBMC on the Future of XBMC for Linux  (Read 335 times)

ConteZero76

• Archived User
Boing Boing interview: Team-XBMC on the Future of XBMC for Linux
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »

It's full of new members with quite some sharp idea about what's right and what's wrong.
Nobody told that XBMC is going on the wrong way, it's just SAD that they come HERE (you know, this is where CONSOLE OWNERS come to get info about their console) to announce to the whole world that they will move XBox Media Center to Linux.
Nothing wrong, but it's just the wrong place.
The way the announcements were made (with bells and whistles) are ugly at best for XBox360 owners.
That doesn't mean that they are doing something wrong or they are taking the wrong way, it's just that this is XBox-scene, part of a forum totally devoted to console and console mod/hack/homebrew.

Just to say in another way, I'm a bit pissed off, the way I'd feel if I'd read a Bungie statement that "Halo will be a PS3 exclusive, for his own good" on www.xbox.com.

mayonnaise

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(slrk @ Aug 31 2007, 02:02 PM) View Post

Are you guys thick as shit or what? Or do just like arguing with the developers as you know best?

There's probably zero likelyhood of unofficial homebrew on the 360. Even if it does happen you can bet that it'll be pretty damn impossible for most people to do the neccessary modifications. Due to the crackdown on modchip suppliers/fitters there won't be anyone to do it for you.

The next problem is lack of an SDK, without which they can't even start thinking about porting to the 360. Please go ahead and register yourself as a developer with MS and pay out the rather large sum for an offical devkit so the XBMC devs can take a look.

Also, don't forget that the 360 is a completely different architecture (PPCish) so the drop-in codecs from x86 windows will not work.

The SDK and architecture issues mean the best way to develop an XBMC360 would be on a Linux base, so  you are actually trying to argue the devs out of doing what you want...

Exactly!

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ Aug 31 2007, 02:25 PM) View Post

It's full of new members with quite some sharp idea about what's right and what's wrong.
Nobody told that XBMC is going on the wrong way, it's just SAD that they come HERE (you know, this is where CONSOLE OWNERS come to get info about their console) to announce to the whole world that they will move XBox Media Center to Linux.
Nothing wrong, but it's just the wrong place.
The way the announcements were made (with bells and whistles) are ugly at best for XBox360 owners.
That doesn't mean that they are doing something wrong or they are taking the wrong way, it's just that this is XBox-scene, part of a forum totally devoted to console and console mod/hack/homebrew.

Just to say in another way, I'm a bit pissed off, the way I'd feel if I'd read a Bungie statement that "Halo will be a PS3 exclusive, for his own good" on www.xbox.com.

Wow, just wow! I don't even know what to say to this screwball at this point.

mayonnaise

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ Aug 31 2007, 02:38 PM) View Post

Where does this article is ?

What?
XBox 1 forums...
...does it relate to XBox 1 ?

Yes it does because XBMC itself (no matter the flavor) relates to the XBOX 1.
Maybe, just maybe, this news was posted in a sub forum that should've been reserved for announcements and news about XBox Media Center ON XBOX ?

Who made you the site admin?

mayonnaise

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »

And they give you an edit button, which I used. Get off it.........

And how is what I did gallant? The response I changed to was just as mean spirited thus making what I did far from being courteous.......

mayonnaise

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »

I must be making you upset.

tslayer

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ Aug 31 2007, 08:21 PM) View Post

Let's not flame now.
Back on topic, as I've already told this is something that had no relation with XBox1 or console scene in general, and is a really sad news in general (expecially comments from developers).

It is really sad news that the team that brought you the FREE XBMC for Xbox 1 is now porting it for FREE to another platform?  I'm so sorry that you are sad...

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

If you bought a 360 with hope of an XBMC port, then it may be slightly sad news that the official XBMC team is not interested in a port.  This doesn't stop anyone else doing it, so really you've gone from "Hope of a port" to "Hope that someone other than the team does a port" - not a huge loss, considering you've only dropped the potential pool of developers by less than 10.

As for the name, XBMC is a well established "brand" that plenty of people recognise.  Thus we're sticking with it, and are simply downplaying the meaning of the acronym.  It'll still be around on xbox 1 for many years to come after all - we're just focusing on broadening the horizons as much as possible.

As for whether it's news that belongs here - your very post confirms this. The news is all bad as far as you're concerned, but it's news nonetheless.

Thanks for the posts.

Cheers,
Jonathan

themadgoose

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2007, 12:46:00 AM »

well it hink it's fab that they're even bothering to keep working on it

XBMC was the reason i got an Xbox. The linux version will be the reason I install linux. Yes its sad that it won't be ocming directly to the 360, but then I would only have bought a 360 after it had got there.

I have no doubt that if the 360 eve gets hacker, a version of something similar to xbmc will turn up on it. In the mean time, let the team do what they want and stop nagging - for the years of pleasure they've given you FOR FREE, surely you owe them that.

pike

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2007, 01:41:00 AM »

<rant>
so the Xbox360 folks has shown their true colors now, completely disregarding:

* That XBMC is the only still active project for Xbox1 (and has been for the last 12-xx months ?)
* That Team XBMC does all this for free
* That XBMC is in desperate need for a new platform and that 360 wasn't and still isn't that new platform

you whiners in this thread makes me sick!
</rant>

oh and that the userbase for Xbox is steadily declining due to the fact? that people want And need HD media support, the results in the CCA 2007 speaks for themselves

gasclown

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2007, 03:59:00 AM »

Continued development of my most used homebrew program ever, awesome!  Oh, and seems to me that, via linux is the only way you're likely to see XBMC on the 360.

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »

wow, a potentially really constructive thread has mostly been clogged up with the rantings of some inappropriately pissed off kid...and first, anyone that has been around the scene long enough knows that everything xbox, gaming, or even MS-related are easily worthy news articles. now, on to why this announcement both is exciting and makes perfect sense...

i don't know any of the developers, but i suspect that they are lovers of entertainment and wanted to design an incredible software to enjoy their media - the xbox was a perfect platform due to very low cost and also consistent hardware.  XBMC was born and has quickly risen to the incredible prominence and widespread use seen today.

now, the climate has changed (both legally and technologically speaking) with stricter enforcement of security circumvention measures and also with the development of higher definition entertainment.  the logical and wise move would be to continue development that would give the developers the most freedom to create a fantastic media program that would both be easier to work on legally as well as with improved hardware for high definition capabilities - and linux is a beautiful platform for this development.

as far as the 360 is concerned - if and when homebrew can be run and created - maybe then more attention will be directed towards an XBMC360.  why it would it be so worrisome that the XBMC developers do not own 360s - why do they have to be working on the security circumvention for the 360 when they are more interested in creating fantastic media software?

thanks XBMC for all of your hard work (for free) for all of us.

maybe you all are partly to blame for people having so much passion for your program as to get upset with any change in direction of your project - if XBMC weren't so damn incredible of a program then this announcement would have fallen on deaf ears...

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(794 @ Sep 1 2007, 04:22 PM) View Post

if XBMC weren't so damn incredible of a program then this announcement would have fallen on deaf ears...

So true...

Shorty
Pages: 1 2 [3]