xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Boing Boing interview: Team-XBMC on the Future of XBMC for Linux  (Read 334 times)

tslayer

• Archived User
Boing Boing interview: Team-XBMC on the Future of XBMC for Linux
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »

All I am trying to say is that the original xbox does not have the power for true HD content and that is the motivation to porting it to linux.

If you are happy with just 720p (and even I am at this point in time), then the original xbox is good enough. Otherwise, a port was obviously necessary to a system that has better hardware and linux was the obvious choice.

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »

You've just pointed out what makes XBMC so good:  The interface is superior to most other mediacenter applications.  The hardware is nice on xbox1, and we'll obviously be focusing on a few hardware platforms (as pointed out in TFA) once things get to the point where it becomes profitable to do so.  At that point fast bootup time etc. is doable - there's plenty of linux-based products out there that do so (TIVO for example).

At the moment we're focusing on getting stuff working nicely (of which most stuff is working just fine).

Note that Tslayer knows what he's talking about: Upgraded processor or not, XBMC on xbox1 CANNOT decode h264 content greater than 480p fast enough for smooth playback.  It can play back SOME OAR 720p Xvid stuff, as long as the encode is done in a specific manner.  Anything more is simply too much for it.

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »

If you want an xbox360 build, then the source is there - do it!  None of the developers have a 360 to my knowledge, nor do we particularly care for it as a platform for the obvious reason that it's still only semi-legal at best.

We the developers want to work on a more generic platform (i.e. have options in the future), and have thus chosen (x86 based) linux for now.  In the process, much of the code is becoming more platform independent, allowing it to build across a range of future hardware possibilities (for instance it also builds and runs on win32), thus allowing far more people to have access to the software.

The end goal as pointed out in TFA, is for it to be run just like the xbox version - pop a CD in, and install or run it directly.

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »

I didn't post the news, I'm just clarifying the situation so that no misunderstandings arise.

One presumes the article was deemed newsworthy by whoever posted it, presumably as it discusses the future plans of the team behind the number 1 piece of software in the xbox scene?

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ Aug 31 2007, 03:39 AM) View Post

Maybe the real (unpleasant) news is just that "None of the developers have a 360 to my knowledge, nor do we particularly care for it as a platform for the obvious reason that it's still only semi-legal at best."

How about since you have made whatever point you wanted to make - or at least been given ample opportunity - you show some respect to people who've devoted a whole lot of time over the years to providing the community with what is by far the best media center around.

If they choose to go Linux, let them.  It's not like there is an open platform waiting for them on the Xbox360.  Homebrew isn't exactly "strong" there yet or existent in any form.  If it was a raging scene, there may be some point but unfortunately we aren't there yet, we may never be, and people who enjoy doing this like to move forward or find a platform which will allow them to move forward.  I think they are also a bit tired of the whole "behind the scenes" semi-legal stuff.  Kind of a hassle and really, do you want MSFT knocking on your door?  This isn't a tiny homebrew port here, this has become a very well known project and I'd imagine at least a few people have some level of anxiety about the effect on their families or financial well being if MSFT ever gets pissed enough to come after them.  It may have started small, but it's not small any more and a working 360 version with everyone modding or hacking their consoles would no doubt move quickly onto the radar.

As for Linux/windows/software/hardware media center/streaming - forget it.  I've spent the last 4 years expecting to upgrade and nothing that I'd consider worth setting up has materialized.  XBMC is hands down better with the only exception being native HD playback (and I'll be the 3rd person to confirm that even if you get through the processor and memory bottlenecks, you are still left with the video and even if it only came down to pure CPU the new codecs are simply too intensive at high resolutions).

Give me a list of components.  Get the software nailed down and I"ll set it up.  Plus, once it's on the PC platform it's a whole lot easier to expand and add functionality to as it's pretty standard at that point.  I couldn't be more excited.  If I knew anything about developing software or writing code, I'd help in a second but that's just not my area unfortunately.

disrockerdude

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »

so... im guessing XBMC for linux would be like MythTV?

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(jmarshall @ Aug 30 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

The end goal as pointed out in TFA, is for it to be run just like the xbox version - pop a CD in, and install or run it directly.

this is a very important aspect of having XBMC be successful on Linux and i am very appreciative that this concept is an end goal.

thanks for all of your hard work...i still see my numerous networked xbmc media centers serving me for years

Gamester17

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 02:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(disrockerdude @ Aug 31 2007, 05:28 AM) View Post

so... im guessing XBMC for linux would be like MythTV?
more like GeexBox (bootable mplayer with Freevo) but more in a way that will resemble how the orginal Xbox works wink.gif running on a free embedded Linux distribution as a standalone LiveCD-based distribution but booting of a USB-Memory 'Key/Stick'. XBMC will run as the 'dashboard' and startup directly (it will not run as an application under KDE/Gnome on that officially supported LiveCD distrobutiuon), and for those of you who actually read the whole interview will know that Team-XBMC in the future will limit official support to a couple specific hardware platforms, hardware that is optimal for just XBMC type applications.

...and FYI; another semi-long term goal is fast bootup (15-seconds or less) cool.gif

PS! @ConteZero76, both jmarshall and tslayer are official developers in Team-XBMC so don't assume that you know more than them

spiff

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 03:23:00 AM »

WHY are you on about the 360?

the 360 is NOT open. even if you can run homebrew on very particular versions of it, you have no devkit. guess what - atm the only option is running it on, KAPING, linux - a seriously crippled linux with hardly any audio support and certainly no accelerated graphics. not to mention the seriously flawed history of the hardware, its power consumption and the fecking extreme noiselevels of that illdesigned piece of hw.

you are welcome to take our source and port it. we as a team wont as jmarshall has already pointed out.

ConteZero76

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 03:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(spiff @ Aug 31 2007, 10:59 AM) View Post

WHY are you on about the 360?

the 360 is NOT open. even if you can run homebrew on very particular versions of it, you have no devkit. guess what - atm the only option is running it on, KAPING, linux - a seriously crippled linux with hardly any audio support and certainly no accelerated graphics. not to mention the seriously flawed history of the hardware, its power consumption and the fecking extreme noiselevels of that illdesigned piece of hw.

you are welcome to take our source and port it. we as a team wont as jmarshall has already pointed out.

Maybe you should go to www.linux-scene.com or somewhere else then.  rolleyes.gif

I, as many others, believed that an XB360MC would come, and now the project goals are just moving away from that focus.
You have your reasons to move that way, no one blame you for that, but this is a console-specific forum and the "news" is a bit harsh for XBox360 owners (at least for me)... I think I made my point.

Gamester17

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 06:41:00 AM »

The news about "XBMC for Linux" was posted on xbox-scene.com because XBMC is now a cross-platform software in the sence that the same code will compile and run on different operating-systems/hardware (Xbox, Win32/Windows, and Linux). Since it is still the same code base, any new features/functions added to the Linux version will also be ported over and work on the Xbox version as well (and long as the hardware permits it), thus this news about "XBMC for Linux" relates to the Xbox scene as well.

So Xbox owners today will see benifits in the Xbox version of XBMC coming from the XBMC Linux port version, already pleanty of bug-fixes have been found on the Linux version that is also a bug in the Xboxversion, bugs that might have been harder to debug on the Xbox. Also any possible future Xbox 360 version of XBMC will benifit from this Linux port as the developers are re-shaping the code to be more platform independent making it easier to port it to other operating-systems and hardware.

In addition, XBMC for Linux will mean a larger user-base of XBMC, which in turn will mean more exposure and more developers will join the project, and then all current and future platforms that XBMC runs on today and could run on in the future will benifit. One core, different platforms, same features and functions on all platforms (again, as long as the hardware permits).

So my answer to you ConteZero76 is, stop being to narrow minded and try to see the big picture.

mayonnaise

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 06:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ Aug 31 2007, 06:05 AM) View Post

Maybe you should go to www.linux-scene.com or somewhere else then.  rolleyes.gif

I, as many others, believed that an XB360MC would come, and now the project goals are just moving away from that focus.
You have your reasons to move that way, no one blame you for that, but this is a console-specific forum and the "news" is a bit harsh for XBox360 owners (at least for me)... I think I made my point.

Mate, STFU. You're right XBMC was built for xbox, but wake up and smell the coffee. Xbox 1 is dead and the 360 has security coming out its ass. I'm sorry but them moving to linux is great and I'm pretty damn sure the news was posted here because xbox owners already know about XBMC and would be excited about it. FFS mate, you could build a linux machine that will decode HD video for the price or less than a 360. There is one reason alone why they should be making it for linux.

Calibos

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »

Jebus H Christ ConteZero76!!!

Are you trolling? What don't you understand? The 360's has not been successfully hacked yet to run homebrew. There are no leaked SDK's for it. It may never be hacked the security is that much better than on the original xbox.

Should the XBMC dev's just twiddle their thumbs waiting waiting waiting and hoping hoping hoping for the 360 to be fully hacked before they move the project forward.

Even if the 360 had been fully hacked right now its not the ideal platform because of excessive fan noise and hardware reliability problems.

While the PS3 doesn't have the noise or reliability issues of the 360 it seems to be locked up just as tight and may never be hacked for homebrew either.

Given all the above, rather than waiting for a console that may never be hacked, the devs are developing a cross platform version. Whats your problem.

You seem to be saying' " Well if the devs aren't bothering to port to the 360 then why are we talking about it here on an xbox/360 forum?"

...............because this is an XBMC sub forum.......!!!! rolleyes.gif

mayonnaise

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ Aug 31 2007, 10:00 AM) View Post

The "big picture": XBox is dead (as in you cannot find one on the shelf) and you're not going to explicitly support XBox360 as you did with the previous one.

The rest: STFU ? NO U ! (and so on...) If you feel the urge of a XBMC and you don't think XBox360 is a suitable option you may go to Xboxers Anonymous and detox yourself, this is XBox-scene... a console-related forum, and the ones that stay here are all about doing things with their console... dear mayonnaise, if you feel like PC is better you can find plenty of HTPC forums out there.

As another said, if you have such a big problem with them making a linux version and want to act so arrogant about it being a console thing; why don't you download the source and make a 360 version yourself. Or are you not capable of anything but bitching and whining?

And incase you still havent grasped this, XBMC started on a console that was pretty much a watered down PC.

Do you also bitch that xbox-scene has a PS3 section? rolleyes.gif

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »

I think ConteZero76 is right...but is being way to harsh about it. I'm disappointed that Team-XBMC is going to be tied up for the next 12 months porting XBMC to linux when homebrew is getting closer on the 360. The fact that none of the developers own a 360 doesn't give me much confidence in their priorities either. I respect and appreciate everything the team has done with the original xbox. I just wish things were different.
Pages: 1 [2] 3