xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Boing Boing interview: Team-XBMC on the Future of XBMC for Linux  (Read 333 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Boing Boing interview: Team-XBMC on the Future of XBMC for Linux
Posted by XanTium | August 30 12:33 EST | News Category: Xbox_Xbox360

Freelance writer Joel Johnson recently did and interview with representatives from Team-XBMC for Boing Boing Gadget blog about the Future of XBMC for Linux.

Short excerpt from the interview:

* Joel: How close do you feel you are to a stable version of the XBMC for Linux port? (And by stable I mean "easy enough even a jerk like myself could install and run it."

* Team XBMC: We don't have a date yet (it is really to early to know), our best guess today is 6-12 months or so from now but it could be longer. As we are a hobby project we depend on developers own personal interest and free time, making it impossible to set an E.T.A., more 'outside' developers would sure help speed things along.

You can read the full interview in this blog post on gadgets.boingboing.net
PS! Developers interested in contributing checkout XBMC Linux port project

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »

Ill read this later, but doing XBMC on Linux is awesome, since Linux can run on almost anything (even my DS) so since this is all open source it should be good (once complete) to compile for many platforms XD. Hell even some HD-DVD players run Linux.

lmaolmao

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »

excellent, i could see this being the main media program used on many a ps3 console.

Marcian

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »

Isn#t there the point that XBMC for XBOX one uses the codec.dlls directly from Windows? So they are built for x86 like Computers. That would render a lot of them useless for our PPC-like video games (XBOX 360 / PS3 / Wii).

Wouldn't it?

Vejita

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »

Correct.

Tiuk

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »

No worries Team XBMC, take your time. We appreciate all the hard work you've done for us over the years.

DMAddict

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »

Looking forward to this very much. It's also great to see articles give it more attention as it can only help in attracting more devs to help. Just wish I had the knowledge to help, but instead I can only sit on the sidelines cheering 'Keep up the great work' and wait anctiously.  love.gif

sunami88

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »

Dear Team XBMC,
I'm a total Linux newbie, but if you guys need an install to fry to work out some bugs etc, I'm your man. You guys do all this work for free, and XBMC is AFAIK the most well done homebrew project ever.

Keep up the great work guys, and really, take your time.

mayonnaise

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(Marcian @ Aug 30 2007, 02:34 PM) View Post

Isn#t there the point that XBMC for XBOX one uses the codec.dlls directly from Windows? So they are built for x86 like Computers. That would render a lot of them useless for our PPC-like video games (XBOX 360 / PS3 / Wii).

Wouldn't it?

That doesnt mean XBMC itself couldnt be written to use linux based codecs and not windows based codecs.
Software is nothing but code and code can always be altered to suit the needs one/it may have. wink.gif

ConteZero76

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »

That sucks big time.
I've a linux server at home, I've a linux router and I've tried various linux distributions and stuff.
Linux is GREAT, for a computer.

That's NOT what I'd like.
I want an XBMC as XBMC was, I want something that start straight into the default menu, without loading a kernel, the X11 subsystem and something else (KDE/Gnome), I want something that can be up & running in three seconds, not just another linux application.
Maybe I'm the only one, but I liked XBMC the way it was on XBox (classic).

Just my 2 cents.

tslayer

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ Aug 31 2007, 12:08 AM) View Post

That sucks big time.
I've a linux server at home, I've a linux router and I've tried various linux distributions and stuff.
Linux is GREAT, for a computer.

That's NOT what I'd like.
I want an XBMC as XBMC was, I want something that start straight into the default menu, without loading a kernel, the X11 subsystem and something else (KDE/Gnome), I want something that can be up & running in three seconds, not just another linux application.
Maybe I'm the only one, but I liked XBMC the way it was on XBox (classic).

Just my 2 cents.

So, you've figured out a way to play native HD content on the original xbox (720p, 1080i, and even 1080p)? Please share and therefore we don't need to move XBMC to linux.

Hope you realize I am being sarcastic.

TS

ConteZero76

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(tslayer @ Aug 31 2007, 12:55 AM) *

So, you've figured out a way to play native HD content on the original xbox (720p, 1080i, and even 1080p)? Please share and therefore we don't need to move XBMC to linux.

Hope you realize I am being sarcastic.

TS

As a matter of fact original XBMC goes up to 1080i on a standard XBox, if you swap the original processor with a 1GHz+ model (and double the RAM) you should be "safe" with at least 720p.

And sorry boy, you misunderstood what I was trying to say, I'm not telling you "go back to the original XBox", I'm telling you I'm not really pleased if XBMC for XBox360 will be a Linux application.

You know, people could be working on compiling XBMC on a Next gen console right now since the PS3 already run linux out of the box, it's just that nobody want this... if XBMC won't run DIRECTLY (and QUICKLY, and EASILY) from dashboard really few will be interested.

This post has been edited by ConteZero76: Aug 31 2007, 01:05 AM

tslayer

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ Aug 31 2007, 01:00 AM) View Post

As a matter of fact original XBMC goes up to 1080i, if you swap the original processor with a 1GHz+ model (and double the RAM) you should be "safe" with at least 720p.

And sorry boy, you misunderstood what I was trying to say, I'm not telling you "go back to the original XBox", I'm telling you I'm not really pleased if XBMC for XBox360 will be a Linux application.

Umm.. 1080i for GUI, not for native HD videos.  Try to play that, even with upgraded XBOX and let me know, boy.

And who said anything about XBMC for Xbox360?

Oh, and nobody says you need to use the new XBMC.  You can stick to your xbox.  I'm pretty sure the direction that the project is going to be able to boot automatically and quickly into XBMC.

ConteZero76

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »

This is a news from XBox-scene main site.

And no, I'm not that sure that will be able to, you're "pretty sure"... ok, I'm happy for you and for your faith but I don't think it will be that easy.

And anyway I don't feel the urge of another media player with embedded "extras" on linux.

This post has been edited by ConteZero76: Aug 31 2007, 01:11 AM

colt45joe

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »

Umm.. 1080i for GUI, not for native HD videos. Try to play that, even with upgraded XBOX and let me know, boy.

read what he said... ass.
Pages: [1] 2 3