xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why a 100usd Xbox can be better than the Apple TV  (Read 339 times)

Geeba

• Archived User
Why a 100usd Xbox can be better than the Apple TV
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(downlowfunk @ Mar 27 2007, 01:32 PM) View Post

Yeah thats the move that should happen.  

Also I remember like 4 years ago they sold, Digital Medial to TV network appliances.  Why does Apple get all the applause for a new old product?

Exactly! apple do seem to get the applause!

Remember Apple Macs with RISC Power PC Processors... bit cr@p.. ok we'll ditch them and use intel!
Remember NuBus... very cr@p... ok we'll ditch that and go with PCI
Remember MacMemory... very cr@p.. ok we'll ditch that and go with DDR
Remember AppleTalk... very [email protected] we'll ditch that and go with Ethernet
Remember MacOS... bit cr@p... ok we'll ditch that and go with linux...

So basically everything Apple wanted the Macs to be is a PC in a flash box! and the hardware in the aTV doent differ much from the 7 year old xbox... intel cpu, gpu, bit of ram and a hard disk, gained hdmi and lost a dvd player... I agree out of the box aTV will be more suited for joe public but that doesnt make it better...

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »

ocassionally freezes when doing alot of seeking. but I love my xbmc. works very well with xbox remote. next step remote on.

biga55

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Geeba @ Mar 27 2007, 05:30 AM) View Post

Are you avin a laugh???  "I think XBMC output sucks." ??? what more do you want it to output?

Scart, s-video, RGB, Component 480i HD 480p,720p,1080i PAL/NTSC, Dolby Digital, DTS, 5.1 on Phono, Coax and Optical??? huh? in about every format you can think of!

The only thing I can think of that its NOT got is a BEER TAP! and I'm sure if you gave the dev's enough time they'd fit one!

Makes me cringe when people sound so ungratefull... these people make the BEST media centre experince FOR FREE! remember!

No, I'm saying the output quality sucks.  Otherwise I would've said the output options are limited rolleyes.gif.

If you think XBOX video output is that great, you need to get your eyes checked.  Then again, I'm comparing to a HTPC.  Anyway relax, I hope us ungrateful users don't keep you up at night...

And to the guy who says he can get 1080i TS streams to play, I'd like to know how you do it since I just tried a 100 mg file and it was stutter city.  I've had some luck with 720p xvid though.  And yes, of course I'm using component cables.

rickatnight11

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »

A modded Xbox truly is amazing.  We recently did our first mod (just a basic softmod) in the attempt to play backed up games.  Then we found XBMC, and the possibilities skyrocketed.  It was amazing to simply plug the Box into the router right next to it, and start streaming videos online, from computers on the network, and still maintain the integrity of the box to play games.

biga55

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(symbols @ Mar 26 2007, 05:38 PM) View Post

On the other hand, the xbox is limited by its processing power to playback a lot of HD content.  So far I have played ~2gb 720p 5.1DD features without problem.  I have also played 1080i 5.1 transport stream files (they get quite large however) easily.

Again, please tell me how you manage to play 1080i TS streams "easily, when it seems no one else can so this.  The offical site doesn't even say 1080i streams are supported (even 720p TS streams are questionable) and there's even a guide to convert it into HD xvid since xbmc doesn't seem to support it.

Geeba

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2007, 01:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(biga55 @ Mar 27 2007, 09:30 PM) View Post

No, I'm saying the output quality sucks.  Otherwise I would've said the output options are limited rolleyes.gif.

If you think XBOX video output is that great, you need to get your eyes checked.  Then again, I'm comparing to a HTPC.  Anyway relax, I hope us ungrateful users don't keep you up at night...

And to the guy who says he can get 1080i TS streams to play, I'd like to know how you do it since I just tried a 100 mg file and it was stutter city.  I've had some luck with 720p xvid though.  And yes, of course I'm using component cables.

must be your setup! 20/20 vision and it looks fine to me! and the people that remark on it... not in the league of high end players but what do you expect (for free) it was never ment to be... its a games console!

Best fix yourself up with an aTV eh! but might be time for a newer TV! rolleyes.gif

No sleep lost mate!  sleeping.gif

QUOTE(icannonball @ Mar 27 2007, 07:41 PM) View Post

One thing that the ATV can do that XBMC can't do (it once did, but I have not been able to get it working in a long time) is the DAAP protocol. I'd love to be able to access my iTunes playlists, not just my music, through my xbox. Its not worth $300, but...

Dont think its worked since Itune ver 6 .... Apple screwed around with the DAAP protocol and it stopped working... you could use ver 6 or wait to see if the devs catch up....

biga55

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(Geeba @ Mar 28 2007, 02:15 AM) View Post

must be your setup! 20/20 vision and it looks fine to me! and the people that remark on it... not in the league of high end players but what do you expect (for free) it was never ment to be... its a games console!

Best fix yourself up with an aTV eh! but might be time for a newer TV! rolleyes.gif

No sleep lost mate!  sleeping.gif

Do you even have an HDTV?  That could explain how good you think xbox output quality is, whose poorness has been discussed over and over.  You even admit it, saying they're not in the same league (HTPC with a good vid card is similar to a high end player).  We can compare it to anything we want, and in this we're comparing it to Apple TV so just because it's free (it's not because the xbox is $100 used), doesn't mean we have to give it a free pass and a blind eye to its quality.

Yeah, I guess I have a shitty TV that just gives me poor quality with the xbox 1 but gives me great quality with almost everything else rolleyes.gif.  Nice try kid, and geez, take it easy on the exclamation pts MATE.

mike315

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »

Its way too early to compare the two. People are just starting to hack at the AppleTV, give it some time.

I have a feeling in the end it may be a more viable choice for playing HD content.

XBMC is awesome and im not giving it up anytime soon, but the upscaling only seems to work well with video files. DVD upscaling leaves a ton to be desired.

Eitherway if the AppleTV turns out to be this very hackable monster thats awesome too...well then I think I have room for both units in my entertainment center.

smile.gif

BoberFett

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »

The Xbox may have poor DVD upscaling in your opinion, but considering the Apple TV doesn't play DVDs at all you may want to hang on to your Xbox a while longer. wink.gif

Geeba

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2007, 04:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(biga55 @ Mar 28 2007, 03:45 PM) View Post

Do you even have an HDTV?  That could explain how good you think xbox output quality is, whose poorness has been discussed over and over.  You even admit it, saying they're not in the same league (HTPC with a good vid card is similar to a high end player).  We can compare it to anything we want, and in this we're comparing it to Apple TV so just because it's free (it's not because the xbox is $100 used), doesn't mean we have to give it a free pass and a blind eye to its quality.

Yeah, I guess I have a shitty TV that just gives me poor quality with the xbox 1 but gives me great quality with almost everything else rolleyes.gif.  Nice try kid, and geez, take it easy on the exclamation pts MATE.

Yes I do have an HDTV.. new Samsung.... do you?... (If not that could explain why you think xbmc output is so poor!)... and a HTPC with a good vid card in it (768mb BFG 8800 DX10) connected to the same screen... sorry MATE but it doesnt play files (my movie collection is ripped to VOB, Real, AVI, IOS, RAR mainly on a NAS server) anywhere near as well as xbmc does with half the hassel... it just plays them... even the pretty naff Real files of downloaded TV get upscaled and look dam good considering... modern movies look very good to me to. If your a purist your using the wrong kit.

So compairing aTV for me (at this moment) does a fraction of what my Xbox can.. has a pretty poor codec line up (at this moment, couple of web sites with half assed divx hack) So for me a $100 whatever xbox is better than Steve Job's attempt at a media streamer. I bought my xbox for games, I had my £250 worth of fun out of it then... and the fact that the XBMC team make an award winning homebrew for it, for free is a bonus.

"Nice try kid"? awwww fanx Dad!  love.gif

QUOTE(mike315 @ Mar 28 2007, 06:42 PM) View Post

Its way too early to compare the two. People are just starting to hack at the AppleTV, give it some time.

I have a feeling in the end it may be a more viable choice for playing HD content.

XBMC is awesome and im not giving it up anytime soon, but the upscaling only seems to work well with video files. DVD upscaling leaves a ton to be desired.

Eitherway if the AppleTV turns out to be this very hackable monster thats awesome too...well then I think I have room for both units in my entertainment center.

smile.gif

My exact feelings... I hope it does get hacked and XBMC gets ported to it!

mike315

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2007, 06:24:00 AM »

Apple vs Apple TV Mod’rs
March 28th, 2007 by ipp

Several of us over in the Awkward TV IRC(l0rdr0ck, myself, and others) have had our Mod’d Apple TV’s played with over night(SSH/VNC disabled), our guess is apple has started to fight back the mod’d Apple TV’s. This is a warning to all of you to block your Apple TV from the internet by going into your routers settings and denying it internet access!

This does mean Apple may have the power to update your Apple TV, without you knowing it!

You should:

* Change the password on your apple tv
    * Deny internet access to it.
    * Failure to do either could result in a breach in your network or a broken Apple TV’

We have no proof of apple doing this but i know of 4 cases in our IRC, and my startup script to disable the firewall got its permissions stripped!

lol  pop.gif

biga55

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(Geeba @ Mar 29 2007, 06:02 AM) View Post

Yes I do have an HDTV.. new Samsung.... do you?... (If not that could explain why you think xbmc output is so poor!)... and a HTPC with a good vid card in it (768mb BFG 8800 DX10) connected to the same screen... sorry MATE but [blahblah blah a lot of biased opinion with spelling and grammar errors]

Now I know you're full of it if you say that the xbox outputs better than an HTPC with a 8800  rotfl.gif .  Here's a link that shows an output test for ati and nvidia cards vs. high end players.  I've provided at least some third party test results, see if you can do the same, and please don't post a reply unless you can do so since this is really annoying.  

The xbox output sucks, get over it.  Google it and you'll see you're the only one to say it has such great quality.  You've even said it's not in the same league as top end players, which your HTPC should match so you're contradicting yourself.  Maybe you need to set it up correctly?

Try not to be such a fanboy, and try not to use the same exact arguments I use MATE. rolleyes.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(biga55 @ Mar 27 2007, 09:30 PM) View Post

No one has gotten good results from HD native video.  Upscaling of SD or even sources of 540p-576p, yes, but not 1080i or 720p (720p is obviously a bit better than 1080i though).

It's not like we haven't been at this for years now.  Hell I even looked at upgrading the processor, but then there's the RAM constraint for HD.  Okay add more RAM - oh, now it's the video card.  There's no way out.  Plain and simple.  We need a new structure for XBMC to handle native HD reliably.

graphicsgod

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »

Apple vs Apple TV Mod’rs
March 28th, 2007 by ipp

Several of us over in the Awkward TV IRC(l0rdr0ck, myself, and others) have had our Mod’d Apple TV’s played with over night(SSH/VNC disabled), our guess is apple has started to fight back the mod’d Apple TV’s. This is a warning to all of you to block your Apple TV from the internet by going into your routers settings and denying it internet access!

This does mean Apple may have the power to update your Apple TV, without you knowing it!

You should:

* Change the password on your apple tv
* Deny internet access to it.
* Failure to do either could result in a breach in your network or a broken Apple TV’

We have no proof of apple doing this but i know of 4 cases in our IRC, and my startup script to disable the firewall got its permissions stripped!

Man that's really F'ed up!! I can't believe they are willing to destroy your device just so you can't "use it" as you want! I can see that as something Micro$haft would do, but not Apple.

Rob

xboxbox451

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(graphicsgod @ Mar 30 2007, 03:06 PM) View Post

Man that's really F'ed up!! I can't believe they are willing to destroy your device just so you can't "use it" as you want!

Seriously? I would expect that from Apple. They've always been staunch proprietary manfuctaures, not just in their hardware, but also their software.
QUOTE(graphicsgod @ Mar 30 2007, 03:06 PM) View Post

I can see that as something Micro$haft would do, but not Apple.

Nah, compared to Apple, Microsoft are saints. Just look at some of Microsoft apps such as their Office suite. Microsoft ported that over to MAC's, which Microsoft didn't need to. It's not like MAC's have a huge share of the computer market (5%), yet Microsoft still dev'ed it over. I don't see Apple porting over Final Cut Pro for use on PC's.

I never owned an Apple product and never will, though I wish I purchase some of their stock back in '03 for $7 a share. Now their trading over $90  mad.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3]