xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmc Trouble With .mov And .flv Files  (Read 98 times)

robot3

• Archived User
Xbmc Trouble With .mov And .flv Files
« on: March 18, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »

Yes I did a search but did not see a topic that covered this. I am using  XBMC-SVN_2007-03-12_rev8103-T3CH and the issue I have is somewhat odd.

First this concerns a short quicktime movie I have. The file is only 35 seconds long, however after playing for 18 seconds xbmc stops and goes back to the file screen (more so it plays it as if it was previewing the clip). Is their a setting for this or what is xbmc seeing that would cause this issue?

Second: I can play flv files fine, however for this one particular file it will only play the audio and not the video? Is their a newer flv version out there that is not handled fully yet by xbmc?

both of these trouble files work fine on the pc

thanks again--

This post has been edited by robot3: Mar 19 2007, 01:33 AM

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »

FLV seems to have changed a bit over time. XBMC as it stands will play some older files via its DVDPlayer module, but with most files it will either play the audio only or crash.

To player newer ones, you need to install the in testing MPlayer build, and manually tell XBMC to play them with that. The tracking is still useless, but for straight playback it works.

Not sure about your Quicktime file. I assume its quality setting causes XBMC to run out of RAM, but it could just be a bad encode.

seajay1221

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »

i'm having troubles with quicktime .mov files too.  encoded fine, but like a quarter into the movie the frame skipping becomes ridiculous.  i guess it's a ram thing.  shame.

robot3

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Mar 19 2007, 02:27 AM) *

To player newer ones, you need to install the in testing MPlayer build, and manually tell XBMC to play them with that. The tracking is still useless, but for straight playback it works.

Thank You for the reply,
where exactly can I access the test mplayer builds and in general how would I go about telling xbmc to use that to play the files (would it be something in the config file for xbmc)?

AHH ok found the link for the mplayer test builds (its under the sticky for the newest xbmc:
XBMC-SVN_2007-03-18_rev8233-T3CH-LTCG). Will play around with it now and report any findings

This post has been edited by robot3: Mar 19 2007, 03:28 AM

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »

Once you've got the new build installed, highlight your FLV of choice, and press your white button. Select "Play Using..." off the context menu, and select MPlayer.

MPlayer is used by default for most files, but this was changed for FLV some time last year (because the DVDPlayer provided somewhat better results).

Note that if you stack FLV files, MPlayer will become the default for those affected - But they won't play at all. You'll need to unstack them and manually tell XBMC which player to use.

robot3

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »

no luck the one flv file still just plays the audio and the mov file still crashes after 17 seconds or so