xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xbmc Vs Apple Tv  (Read 313 times)

pike

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »

I give you.... iCrap

According to those familiar with the component makeup of Apple TV, it utilizes a 1.0GHz Pentium M-based chip (code-named "Crofton"), which has been under-clocked to run on a 350MHz bus. The chip is based on Intel's pre-Core Duo "Dothan" core and includes 2MB of L2 cache.

Aiding the Pentium M in video decoding are a nVidia G72M with 64MB DDR2 video memory (essentially the GeForce Go 7400) and 256MB of 400MHz DDR2 main system memory, the latter of which is reportedly soldered to the logic board.

Although each Apple TV ships with a USB port, it is offered purely for services and diagnostics purposes.

timo1023

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

I am really surprised that people are interested in the AppleTV. I mean, seriously, what does it offer that a Mac Mini doesn't? Just hook your Mac Mini up to your TV and use FrontRow. Sure, it costs a bit more, but buying the Apple TV for $300 (not sure about price) is just a waste of money, ESPECIALLY if you already have XBMC.

Apple sure is cool, though.

SnoopKatt

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »

$300 is a ripoff, and while XBMC can play all sorts of different audio/video styles, Apple is probably going to limit it to MP4 and AAC and M4A. And you can get an XBOX for less than $100.

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »

Darn, pike, you beat me to it.

1.0 GHz Pentium M... They coulda thrown an actual Core Duo in there and still have that $300 price tag.

This post has been edited by edwinmcdunlap: Jan 16 2007, 04:20 AM

hamq

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »

Well the iTV says it will have the 2 main things I wish my XBMC had.
1)Ability to playback HD movie files preferably in H264
2)HDMI output

Also don't just an Apple product simply by it's hardware specs. Apple PC's always had lower hardware specs than PC's but were just as powerful. That processor and video card will have H264 hardware acceleration which will make it A LOT faster than the 700mhz pIII (or w/e the xbox has) when playing back h264. The 40gb hdd is very weak tho, thats only like 3 hd h264 movies. Hopefully that will be upgradeable.

And the comments about how this and the iPhone have no new feature made me laugh. Kinda like how they already had mp3 players when apple announced it's iPod, and we all know how that worked out for them.

This post has been edited by hamq: Jan 24 2007, 04:45 AM

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »

as a few others have alluded to, the poll question is incorrectly written...

"Do you think the Appel TV offers anything XBMC doesn't?"

The obvious and correct answer is YES, esp with H264 and HDMI...

However, the probable true intent of the poll was to ask whether or not the apple TV product or XBMC offer better overall functionality.

And the obvious answer to that question is that XBMC wins hands down.

gordo1111

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »

I'd still say XBOX because of the price.

100 for used xbox, 300 for appletv

SnoopKatt

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 01:08:00 AM »

You can get a used XBox for much cheaper than $100 on the BST forums here, but everyone's going to go for AppleTV since a modded XBox could be considered illegal in some cases and it will probably never have the popularity of something from Apple. iPods already cost a lot more than generic MP3 players that hold the same amount of songs, so Apple could get away with overcharging again.

But I personally don't think AppleTV will do that well. People will buy it of course, but it's not going to be nearly as popular as an iPod. I've talked to a lot of people about it, and not that many really seem interested in it.

mrgibbysworth

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »

Since we all know the good things about XBMC, I thought I would point out the things I think appleTV has over XBMC:
  • simple to buy, setup and use.
  • end-to-end integration and support.
  • cost.  face it $300 and it "just works" vs $100+ for a used xbox + mod chip or softmod + remote dongle kit or wireless controller + upgraded hd + wireless bridge + AV out pack + time to figure out how to make the thing work.
  • size and looks.
  • h264.
  • officially supports TV shows.
  • integrates with iTunes.
  • automatic software updates (i am only speculating that this will be a feature)

Of course XBMC gets a pass on all of those, since it...
  • runs on old unsanctioned hardware
  • is freely developed
  • is available now
  • runs on but doesn't require a widescreen TV
  • still lets you play xbox games
  • kinda well enough with iTunes
  • is remote controllable with the web interface

If the appleTV was available when my xbox died, I would have bought it rather than another used xbox for XBMC.   Would have been an excuse to upgrade to a widescreen tv (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

Commando677

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »

The trick will be to port XBMC to the new faster hardware then you can have the best of both worlds, XBMCs great features and the power of the wireless, hdmi and easier playback of H.264. I Look forward to the day when there is ATVMC (Apple TV Media Center)

XXDICEONEXX

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »

iTV is a joke.
Apple is the master of all hubris in 2006 / 2007
Apple fanboys make me want to toss my macbook, g4 agp tower, DP g4 tower, lombard powerbook, 333mhz powerPC(only clones by motorola), and every other apple thing I have ever owned into a lake.

the iPhone and iTV are jokes as they don't offer anything other than furthering consumer ignorance, brand worship, and consumerism over intelligent purchase, originality, and customer respect.

While apple looks nice and squishy and yes, they make the best cases/Gui (except the iPods - one button retard crap) dumbing down things to the point of a Tv / toaster is pointless and insulting.

buy a mac mini, and at least you can use it to look at web pages.
it comes with the same remote and intel chipset that is essentially too weak to play 3D/HD games, due to the non existent video card.

XBMC all day.

PantsOnFire

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »

Generally I dont think appletv offers THAT much over xbox and xbmc.

But the specs would suggest it is capable of video playback of vids with higher resolution, that much can be said...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

For a while now I've been wondering.... as i seem to download more and more H264 and other HD rips... maybe i should move on... xbmc has been trusty to me for years.  But it bugs me having to limit myself to certain video download qualities just to ensure successful playback.. :s

PantsOnFire

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »

I think im one of the few users here who quite commonly looks at pictures in xbmc, especially when my mind drifts when im listening to music and i get lost in my digital media (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

appletv has the power to make this a snap, whereas, (i know its old hardware) xbmc takes its time to load images.

shame, almost redundant point to make, but came to mind.

jreyes63

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »

Hey all:

Now I'm not a programmer by any means, but looks like a few of the guys w/ Apple TV have already started hacking into the system. I didn't read evey post, but looks like there was very little, if any protection into the system.  A few note XBMC and thought of it on the Apple TV.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...mp;pagenumber=1

John
(Cali)

This post has been edited by jreyes63: Mar 23 2007, 08:55 PM

Blue_Dawg

• Archived User
Xbmc Vs Apple Tv
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »

I love XBMC for all it can do. I use it on a daily basis to watch all sorts of content. But with this question you are all sort of missing the point. The Apple TV is not meant for folks like us who are willing to take the time to hack their Xbox to make it play these formats. It is geared to the basic user who has video that has been purchased from iTunes and want it to play on their tv without having to take the time to connect it every time they want to watch something. For that user the Apple tv is the hands down winner. Now, to the geek/hacking community the Xbox is the clear winner but you can't really post that question here for a clear cut winner. It like comparing Apples and oranges (pun intended (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ). Now, if XBMC could only play that movie from iTunes I received as  gift........
Pages: 1 [2]