xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbmc As Dashboard  (Read 111 times)

jiggygent

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« on: October 01, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »

I am trying to make XBMC my default dashboard.  I have an xbox modded with an x.b.i.t v 1.0 chip and evox flashed on it.  Now I was following option 1 of this tutorial here:

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index....=As_a_Dashboard

I did everything just like it said.. but when i boot up my xbox it goes straight to evox..  Any ideas??  thanks in advance for the help.

djdafreund

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

If everything was done right, it should not be booting to evox, thats for sure. if it's loading evox, your xbmc shortcut hasn't been named properly. (Make sure you followed the xbmc shortcut instructions portion correctly) But basically rename the shortcut to evox.xbe (ONLY IF THAT IS WHAT YOUR BIOS IS SET TO LOAD AT BOOTUP)
  Or go into your bios editor and see what your BIOS is looking for to run evox, and double check that so you know for sure what to rename your shortcut.

jiggygent

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 11:25:00 AM »

on my xbox's c drive..  I have the file named xboxdash.xbe  So i changed the xbmc short cut to say xboxdash.xbe  i also created a txt file in the same directory showing the location of the .cfg file.  I also changed the name of the .cfg file to xboxdash.cfg and put in my xmbc folder in my e drive..  but it still booting to evox.  Does the txt document created showing the directory of the cfg file have to be named something specific?

This post has been edited by jiggygent: Oct 1 2006, 06:34 PM

Syphon0928

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »

Ok, let's see if I can help.

Make sure you have XBMC folder located in:
E:\Games\XBMC
(make sure it's "E:\Games\XBMC\" & NOT "E:\Games\XMBX\XBMC\"
After you have that done, go to your C directory. You don't need to mess around with "xboxdash.xbe", so leave it alone.

Rename the file "evoxdash.xbe" to "evoxdash_backup.xbe" (this is just to prevent you from messing up/over writing your original evox dash)
Download the precompiled OpenXDK and rename it to "evoxdash.xbe". Move this into the C directory.

In the text file, make sure it only has one single line that reads: E:\Games\XBMC\default.xbe
Make sure the text file is saved with a .cfg extension and not .txt. Name this file "evoxdash.cfg"

Once all this is done, restart the Xbox and it should boot up into XBMC.

Kish

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »

The new xbmc is sick!, using with the blackbolt skin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif).

Im having a problem with the new xbmx 2, when I install it using the Online Manual (Installing XBMC as a Dashboard).

I have softmoded xbox with exox

When I go into the games menu, none of my games are there. And when I go back to the old xbmc they r back.

i used hdd loader for instaling the games before so they r listed on there when i launch the program.

Can u help me out, do I need to create a shortcut or something? If so how cuz I cant figure it out lol.

Syphon0928

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »

Try going into the "Programs" menu and highlighting "Games". Press the White button and choose "Edit Source". Check to see if they're pointing into "E:\Games\", "F:\Games\", & "G:\Games\"

Kish

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »

thanx mate, that was quite a simple solution. My games were in f:/HDDloader

Cheers  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

jiggygent

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

still no luck.  My evox dashboard is not under the name evoxdash.xbe  it is under xboxdash.xbe on the c drive.  So I changed the name of that file to something else for backup and then installed the default.xbe from xbmc on my c drive.. i renamed it to xboxdash.xbe i also installed a txt file with the name xboxdash.cfg and included the directiory E: \APPS\XBMC\xboxdash.xbe on the C drive..  but still a no go..  could it have something to do with the evox.ini file?  or maybe an xml file that has to be reconfigured??

skyzerr33

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(jiggygent @ Oct 2 2006, 01:44 PM) *

still no luck.  My evox dashboard is not under the name evoxdash.xbe  it is under xboxdash.xbe on the c drive.  So I changed the name of that file to something else for backup and then installed the default.xbe from xbmc on my c drive.. i renamed it to xboxdash.xbe i also installed a txt file with the name xboxdash.cfg and included the directiory E: \APPS\XBMC\xboxdash.xbe on the C drive..  but still a no go..  could it have something to do with the evox.ini file?  or maybe an xml file that has to be reconfigured??

Ok if your evox xbe is renamed to xboxdash.xbe, i don't know why you would do that but any way.
Rename SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC.xbe to xboxdash.xbe and the SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC.cfg to xboxdash.cfg then open your xboxdash.cfg in notepad edit to E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe then you would have to rename your dash from xboxdash.xbe your (evox dash) to whatever you want. put those two files where you have evoxdash C:

Make sure you still have the default.xbe in the xbmc folder you don't move anything there

This post has been edited by skyzerr33: Oct 2 2006, 05:06 AM

jiggygent

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »

Well, after renaming the files this time.. it doesn't boot to evox or to xbmc..  So now I can't even ftp into my box.  I didn't do anything other than rename those files..  it sounds like the hard drive is doing something.. i can here it goin to work in there.. but nothing is coming up..   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)  What do i need to just get my box up and running again?  I can't figure out why this darn thing doesn't want to work.. I followed the instructions to a T..  ah well...  i guess i'll just use xbmc as an app..  If i ever get this piece a plastic up and running again.. lol.  Anyways, lemme just thank you guys for all the info and help throughout this post.. You all rock!! this forum is awesome!

This post has been edited by jiggygent: Oct 2 2006, 05:53 AM

Spunkymanker

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 10:52:00 PM »

I'm having pretty much the same problem here..  
I was using xbmc previously, not sure exactly what version, about 6 months old though.  Working fine as my dashboard.
I decided to upgrade clean, and deleted the old xbmc directory entirely.  I then copied over all the files from the fat t3ch build, via smb.  I reboot the xbox, and it goes to a blank screen after the xbox logo screen goes by.

I changed the shortcut to the one included in the t3ch build, renaming both to xboxdash.xbe and xboxdash.cfg.  (same as my old dash file).   Same problem.  I have a Xenium SP.Ice chip, and I am using the M8 16 plus bios (1.6 console).    I tested with x2 5035 v16 plus..  same problem..

I deleted the 'fat' xbmc 2.0 and tried with the 'lean' and same problem..  
I have also tried copying the files via smb, and ftp.  both with the same symptoms.  (with the fat build, it won't copy any files with a + in them, so I skipped those)  Doesn't look like those are critical files to the operation of xbmc.

I'm stuck now..   aRgH!

This post has been edited by Spunkymanker: Oct 2 2006, 05:58 AM

skyzerr33

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »

Com'on guys don't give up
@jiggygent
if the instruction were followed to a T then you wouldn't have a problem
if you xbmc was in E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe and not modifided in any way
If you say your bios boot up xboxdash.xbe first. make an evox boot disk rename evoxdash.xbe
to xboxdash.xbe once evox is booted up get ftp access.

@Spunkymanker,
you can ftp to your chip through the xenium os menu.
Are you using the x2config.ini on your E drive? just edit that to boot up your dash

Spunkymanker

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 11:32:00 PM »

I don't have a problem accessing my box, just getting xbmc to run.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)    I have been using the xenium OS FTP as well as SMB..
I did try setting xbmc as my default dash in the x2config.ini (e:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe)  and unfortunately, it still just goes to a blank screen..  though sometimes it locks up at the xbox startup screen (green X.. etc..)
x2config.ini is on my E drive as well.

skyzerr33

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 11:39:00 PM »

Ok do this:

Rename SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC.xbe to xbmc.xbe and the SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC.cfg to xbmc.cfg then open your xbmc.cfg in notepad edit to E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe  put those two files on C, edit your x2config.ini to dash1Name = c:xbmc.xbe ftp it back to e overwrite and reboot

Also make sure you are booting your x2 5035 v16 plus bios not your M8 16 plus bios

This post has been edited by skyzerr33: Oct 2 2006, 06:43 AM

Spunkymanker

• Archived User
Xbmc As Dashboard
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 12:11:00 AM »

Ok, tested exactly as you said with the team XBMC.xbe - same problem.  boots to a blank screen after the xbox logo goes by.

Tested again with the team UIC.xbe - THIS hangs on the xbox logo screen, with the 'xecuter rox my box' logo at the bottom.

And I am definitely booting with the 5035 bios.
Pages: [1] 2