xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Path Substitutions  (Read 79 times)

dmjm

• Archived User
Path Substitutions
« on: June 11, 2006, 10:07:00 PM »

I had a build from Jan 08 2006 that allowed for path substitution on my playlists.  I then upgraded to the May build and currently running the 666 build.  Now my path substition statements that were working no longer work.  I have been searching around an nobody else is saying anything about this.  Did this get changed?  Other then the path substitution not working everything else is fine.  I can see all my music and videos and can play them with no problems.  I can have xbox create and save playlists and they work but when I use Music Match or Windows Media player on my computer it will not work.

Code was as follows and did work on the 1/08/06 build

<pathsubstitution>                                                                      
  <substitute>                                                                          
    <from>\\PDC\MP3\</from>                                                                
    <to>smb://Domain;User:password@IPAddressOfComputer/MP3/</to>                                            
 </substitute>
  <substitute>                                                                          
    <from>M:\MP3\</from>                                                                
    <to>smb://Domain;User:password@IPAddressOfComputer/MP3/</to>                                            
 </substitute>                                                                          
</pathsubstitution>                                                                    

I had to have two statements because we use several different applications to play the music off the network.  Music Match is used by my daughter, I use Windows Media Player, and use the programs to download to our portable MP3 players.  

I have been able to get WinAmp to work if I save the play list out to the root of the drive that houses the MP3 which would not be that big of problem other then nobody in the house likes WinAmp.

Any Help would be GREAT!!

Thanks

Woobus

• Archived User
Path Substitutions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »

Hey, lookit that!  I just did a search because I have a similar problem, and here we have... someone not getting any help from anyone.

Well.  This is encouraging.

Hey, dmjm - maybe we can work this out together.  I'm trying to get path substitutions to work, and nothing's happening.  I'm running a release from late May on one machine, the most recent release on another.  Path substitution isn't working on either.  

Here's what I have in my AdvancedSettings.xml file, loaded in UserData

<AdvancedSettings>
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>D:/My Music</from>
      <to>smb://192.168.0.2/Music</to>
    </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>
</AdvancedSettings>

I copied the smb path directly from my WORKGROUP (SMB) Network bookmark in XboxMediaCenter.xml, which leads me right to my music library, so I know it works.  I also replaced D:/My Music with smb://192.168.0.2/Music on one track in an exported playlist running in XBMC.  That one track would play.

Just to make sure my AdvancedSettings.xml file was working, I added this line:

<AdvancedSettings>
<controllerdeadzone>1</controllerdeadzone>
</AdvancedSettings>

That's supposed make the thumbsticks stop working.  Sure enough, it does - but only if the controllerdeadzone statement is BEFORE the pathsubstitution statement.   Put it in after, and the thumbsticks come back to life.

So... seems pathsubstitution is fucked (at least, the way you and I are doing it).  But why?  Let me know if you've figured out anything.  I'll keep you posted if I get any new ideas.

Woobus

• Archived User
Path Substitutions
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »

Oh, look - someone else with the same problem:

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin/foru...mp;#entry114845

So what's the deal?

Woobus

• Archived User
Path Substitutions
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »

Update:

Okay, I've just tried to submit a bug report to SourceForge, but you need to create an account to do that.  I put my e-mail, a password, and never received a confirmation e-mail.  I just get kicked back to the account creation screen, with this line at the top:

"Before registering an account, you should review our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy."

I clicked on both the Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy, and tried again.  Again, bounced back to the same screen and no confirmation e-mail in my inbox.

So:

SOMEONE SUBMIT A BUG REPORT ABOUT THIS PLEASE.  JUST PLUG IN THE FOLLOWING TEXT:

TITLE:  pathsubstitution not working for smb shares

TEXT:  Seems this problem has been going on for a while.  I have two softmodded Xboxes - one running a late May release (maybe 5/27) and one running the most recent release (6-25).  Path substitution doesn't work on either.

Two other users have reported the same problem with June builds, along with detailed descriptions and troubleshooting.  Links:

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin/foru...=ST;f=2;t=21432

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=520745

It really looks like it's not working.

Woobus

• Archived User
Path Substitutions
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 12:17:00 PM »

UPDATE:

Finally got logged into SourceForge, submitted the bug report.

nuka1195

• Archived User
Path Substitutions
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »

Your bug report has been answered.

Path substitution works fine.

Tips:

/ != \
You must play the m3u from a share not your xbox.

HTH

Woobus

• Archived User
Path Substitutions
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »

Well, I have an m3u playlist I created in XBMC saved in my xbox, playing songs off a share.  It plays just fine.  Here it is:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,AC/DC - Highway to Hell
smb://192.168.0.2/Music/ACDC/Highway To Hell/01 - Highway To Hell.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Cake - Satan Is My Motor
smb://192.168.0.2/Music/Cake/Prolonging the Magic/Cake - Satan Is My Motor.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Tenacious D - Explosivo
smb://192.168.0.2/Music/Tenacious D/Tenacious D/Tenacious D - Explosivo.mp3
#EXTINF:0,George Harrison - Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
smb://192.168.0.2/Music/George Harrison/Brainwashed/Harrison, George - Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.mp3

Here's an excerpt from the playlist that does NOT work, except for the first track, where I changed "D:/My Music/" to "smb://192.168.0.2/Music" manually.  This playlist is also saved on my Xbox:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:165,Nat King Cole - Quizas, Quizas, Quizas
smb://192.168.0.2/Music/Nat King Cole/nat king cole - Quizas Quizas Quizas.mp3
#EXTINF:138,Dean Martin - Cha Cha Cha d'Amour
D:/My Music/Various Artists/Ultra-Lounge, Vol. 09 - Cha-cha De Amor/Ultra-Lounge, Vol. 9 Cha-Cha De Amor - 12 - Dean Martin - Cha Cha Cha d'Amour.mp3/
#EXTINF:269,Wes Cunningham - So It Goes
D:/My Music/Wes Cunningham/12 Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking/Wes Cunningham - So It Goes.mp3
#EXTINF:187,Nouvelle Vague - Just Can't Get Enough
D:/My Music/Nouvelle Vague/Nouvelle Vague/02 - Just can't get enough.mp3
#EXTINF:204,Get Up Kids - Close to Me
D:/My Music/Get Up Kids/Eudora/The Get Up Kids - 04 - Close to Me.mp3/
#EXTINF:175,Five Iron Frenzy - Mama Mia
D:/My Music/Various Artists/Five Iron Frenzy - Mama Mia (ABBA cover).mp3
#EXTINF:149,Danko Jones - Fucked Up
D:/My Music/Various Artists/danko jones - fucked up.mp3/

I moved the above playlist to a location on my PC, and shanged the "Playlists" bookmark in XboxMediaCenter.xml to point to it.  Same thing.  First track plays, the rest don't.  

Also, one of the first things I did was reverse the slashes in pathsubstitution.  This way doesn't work:

<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>D:\My Music\</from>
      <to>smb://192.168.0.2/Music/</to>
    </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>

Nor does this way:

<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>D:/My Music/</from>
      <to>smb://192.168.0.2/Music/</to>
    </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>

Clearly, what I need pathsubstitution to do is find every instance of "D:/My Music/" (as you can see, from the second playlist above) and replace it with "smb://192.168.0.2/Music/" (as you can see, from the first playlist above).  I assumed that the latter configuration of the AdvancedSettings statement was the one that made more logical sense, so I posted that - rather than the former, with the reversed slashes, which didn't work either, which I'd already tried before posting any messages anywhere.

Per jmarshallnz's note on my bug report, I have included a full debug log.

So... any other ideas, or is this an honest-to-goodness bug?

jesseasi

• Archived User
Path Substitutions
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 10:55:00 PM »

Did anyone get this working?   I still can't figure out what needs to be done.

slumberpod77

• Archived User
Path Substitutions
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 01:21:00 AM »

i don't know why we bother sometimes...
PEBCAK.