xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Smb Networking With A Wireless Gaming Adapter?  (Read 25 times)

stg58

• Archived User
Smb Networking With A Wireless Gaming Adapter?
« on: May 20, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »

Was thinking about buying a wireless .g gaming adapter for use with XBMC SMB networking for videos and music off my PC.

I've never used a wireless gaming adapter before and was wondering if anyone can post their experience doing this before I buy one from newegg.

Can you get enough bandwidth through a wireless .g gaming adapter for SMB video sharing off my PC or is divx/xvid/nero digital video going to play poorly ( lag, stutter, audio problems, etc )? i.e.: Should I stick with cat5 cable?

Thanks, J

ladlenits

• Archived User
Smb Networking With A Wireless Gaming Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »

I was a little nervouse getting this also, but with the setup i have it was my only option. I got the Linksys wireless G game bridge and it has been working great.  

Setup: I read a lot of reviews that said they had a tough time setting it up especialy with WEP.  I have mine setup with an access list and it worked like a charm, zero problems.

Performace: I have been more than happy with its streaming.  I watch streamed movies from my PC all the time and maybe once or twice have i had a problem with pausing or jitters. FTP access seems a lot slower vs. wired

Overall: Every once in a while it loses my access point but i just pull the power and plug it back in and its fine.  Performace has been great so far and setup was a breeze.  I just wish it was a little cheaper.  

Good Luck