xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Usb Hdd (or Usb Digital Camera Connection)  (Read 296 times)

slumberpod77

• Archived User
Usb Hdd (or Usb Digital Camera Connection)
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »

shouldn't XBMC be able to pull & display the tag information for those files regardless of filenaming?

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 01:37:00 AM »

I just thought I'd mention.... I remember a topic I read a while back where a guy was trying to get his xbox to read his either fat32 or ntfs external hard drive, and the xbox automatically started formatting it into fatx.  I don't know if this was just if he was in the ms dashboard, or in xbmc, or where, but I thought it might possibly be relevant in some way.

slumberpod77

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

if it is connected via the controller's memory port, then the MSDash will reformat the device as soon as it looks at it and sees an unrecognized file system. i am not sure if this is the case for a connection directly to the controller port, but i wouldn't doubt it.

brandon_r87

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »

Uh... I'm not sure about this, but unless this was some kind of script or something, it seems to me this would fall into the warez releases of XBMC that the team really doesn't appreciate... so, maybe you should check it out with the team or something?

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(slumberpod77 @ May 5 2006, 12:57 PM) *

shouldn't XBMC be able to pull & display the tag information for those files regardless of filenaming?

Yes, it will be able to read the id3 tags, but they are still scattered in a bunch of different directories and it's not exactly convenient (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Anyway, it'd be nice to be able to WRITE to the database, so that you can copy more music from the xbox to the iPod and have the iPod pick it up (since they have to be in the DB to be played)

QUOTE(timdog82001 @ May 6 2006, 08:08 AM) *

I just thought I'd mention.... I remember a topic I read a while back where a guy was trying to get his xbox to read his either fat32 or ntfs external hard drive, and the xbox automatically started formatting it into fatx.  I don't know if this was just if he was in the ms dashboard, or in xbmc, or where, but I thought it might possibly be relevant in some way.

Yes, the Xbox loves to reformat drives as FATX. I've experimented and it only *appears* to do this if you go into the MS dashboard with the device connected, so as long as you only had it plugged in while running XBMC it should be ok. I will be finding this out the hard way soon, if I'm wrong, if I find I have to keep reformatting my USB devices (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE(brandon_r87 @ May 6 2006, 08:17 PM) *

Uh... I'm not sure about this, but unless this was some kind of script or something, it seems to me this would fall into the warez releases of XBMC that the team really doesn't appreciate... so, maybe you should check it out with the team or something?

The source of XBMC is GPLed, which means I have a perfect right to develop and distribute any modifications to it that I choose, as long as I distribute the source code for my modifications. I will naturally not be distributing binaries as they would have to be compiled with the XDK. I will be contributing all my source code changes back to the XBMC developers once the work is done and it's been sufficiently tested, and I've already been discussing it with them on their forums - they seem happy to assist in any way possible.

Developing on the source code to contribute back to the project is a totally different issue from making a hacked binary and releasing it on P2P systems/etc, which is I presume what you're referring to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

timo1023

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 03:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(torne @ May 10 2006, 04:03 PM) *
Anyway, it'd be nice to be able to WRITE to the database, so that you can copy more music from the xbox to the iPod and have the iPod pick it up (since they have to be in the DB to be played)

Not in iPod Linux... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

Anyway, why would you want to hook up a HD to the Xbox via the USB port? The Xbox is USB1, and you wuld get horrible transfer speed. I can see the practical aplication for an iPod, camera card, or USB stick, but with an HD it would be much ebtter to just share the HD over a network.

Icantfindanick

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(timo1023 @ May 10 2006, 11:18 PM) *

Not in iPod Linux... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

Anyway, why would you want to hook up a HD to the Xbox via the USB port? The Xbox is USB1, and you wuld get horrible transfer speed. I can see the practical aplication for an iPod, camera card, or USB stick, but with an HD it would be much ebtter to just share the HD over a network.

More than enough for streaming pictures, music and video from an usb device.

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »

My friend just asked me if this was possible.  I told him we could try it, but the only thing it could be if it did work was a huge memory card.  Sadly, it wouldn't even format with the MS Dashboard or UnleashX.  And...the reason why he wants it is he loves XBMC, he's addicted to it.  His Xbox is on 24/7, while he's there, while he's sleeping, and while he's gone.  He just queues up everything in XBMC and lets it go.  He just asked me about using an external hard drive.  This would be awesome if it could be done.

sachinwalia

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »

i think you might wanna take look at the following resources for your research in mass storage implementation for xbmc.

http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm
http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net./

also jungo's windriver usb used extensively for testing xbox 360 usb support

http://www.jungo.com/wdusb.html

i hope i can help in any way to this feature as I also very keen in seeing this functionality implemented

thanks,

sachin

NineT9mustang

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »

Very interesting topic smile.gif an idea I would love to use

torne, Do you have paypal? This is a project I would to donate to for your time & efforts

-NineT9

slumberpod77

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »

wow i just realized that all 750GB of external storage that i have is NTFS sad.gif

sachinwalia

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »

hi,

torne would you like to share the info about what sort of implementation are u using for usb functionality. are you using any existing codebase or you are wrting from scratch

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(sachinwalia @ May 16 2006, 06:06 PM) *

i think you might wanna take look at the following resources for your research in mass storage implementation for xbmc.

I don't need anything about mass storage - the MS Xbox kernel already implements the full Mass Storage profile in order to support memory cards. It's only the FAT filesystem itself that needs implementing, and I have an intimate familiarity with the details of FAT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(NineT9mustang @ May 16 2006, 10:00 PM) *

Very interesting topic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) an idea I would love to use

torne, Do you have paypal? This is a project I would to donate to for your time & efforts

That'd be cool but I wouldn't want to take any money from you until it's done. When I make it publically available, if you still want to give me money you're welcome.

QUOTE(slumberpod77 @ May 17 2006, 02:38 AM) *

wow i just realized that all 750GB of external storage that i have is NTFS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Hey, maybe someone will implement NTFS. *grin*
Reading NTFS is trickier than FAT but not impossible, and the required info is available from various sources (linux ntfs driver, etc). Writing NTFS would be much harder since even Linux has only recently been able to do this in any way safely, and that still has a lot of caveats.

QUOTE(sachinwalia @ May 17 2006, 04:58 PM) *

torne would you like to share the info about what sort of implementation are u using for usb functionality. are you using any existing codebase or you are wrting from scratch

As said above, there's no need to implement USB functionality, the Xbox kernel already has that. I will be implementing FAT from scratch, not an existing implementation, for two reasons:
1) Adapting a Linux filesystem driver (or similar) to run as part of XBMC would be pretty fiddly, since it would expect many things to exist which don't (like the buffer cache) and would have a different interface to that required (Linux VFS as opposed to XBMC's file/dir abstraction). FAT itself is quite simple and it may well be less work to just implement it from scratch, and will certainly result in tidier, easier-maintained code.
2) I like doing this kind of thing, and it gives me great personal pride (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Just to let you folks know, I am making some progress in a basic debug environment (a standalone xbox app atm, not an XBMC component) and it's possible to dump out various bits of the filesystem to the host, so at least I'm getting somewhere. I've been quite busy, though, so haven't been able to spend as much time doing this as I'd like. Thanks for the positive comments, guys and gals.

NineT9mustang

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »

Well is there anything we can provide you with torne? Parts for testing? I can't provide too much, maybe if you need an internet/external HD to mess around with (even if u break it or mess it up), I can provide you with something like that, 160GB perhaps...

or if there are other things maybe us here at the forums can help you with, becuase this is a wanted idea by a lot of people...

but keep us updated, maybe even your own topic of your progression smile.gif

-NineT9Mustang

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(NineT9mustang @ May 17 2006, 10:02 PM) *

Well is there anything we can provide you with torne? Parts for testing? I can't provide too much, maybe if you need an internet/external HD to mess around with (even if u break it or mess it up), I can provide you with something like that, 160GB perhaps...

Well aren't you a generous soul. Fortunately I already have about 2.15 terabytes of storage laying around the house and thus can supply my own mass storage devices (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If anyone knows how to fix an xbox that hangs when you wobble it, and FRAGs if you enable the chip, that would be handy I guess (since my xbox is a war casualty as mentioned in sig and can only run softmodded with occasional crashes). I checked the LPC connections and D0 already. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Pages: 1 [2] 3