xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Connecting To The Internet  (Read 47 times)

izotope

• Archived User
Connecting To The Internet
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »

Hi

I'm running a Xbox with Xenium ICE installed. I've noticed the the Media Center offers the chance to listen to Shoutcast, browse the internet and get updates from the 'net on the weather etc. I was wondering if I need to be registered with Xbox Live to make that happen (I know it's not a MS service, but...) or whether I can just plug in a broadband adapter and go.

Thanks

bbeddow

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »

Probably need to give the guys more info, but, if you're xbox is running xbmc and connected to the internet, either directly or through you're network, then you should be good to go, no xbox live required.

Not sure if your asking about networking the xbox, or a dial-up configuration, how are you currently connected to the internet?

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »

Live?!

Just hook it to the net and you are set.

Still wonder where you got that you need live.....

izotope

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 05:52:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies

Just to clarify, I'm looking to connect my Xbox directly to the internet via my broadband modem.

Regarding the Live thing, I was under the impression that MS had a monopoly on the Xbox's going online... thankfully that doesn't seem the case!

I'll give it a go this week...

Thanks again

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 07:45:00 AM »

Live is a service for playing games online...

It has nothing todo with XBMC , or any other program, going online to listen to shoutcast etc.

And if you want to play games online, but not via live, you can use XLink or XBConnect