xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Qwix/ava Dev Team Ready To Add Xbmc Support To Qwix!  (Read 71 times)

gnutellafan

• Archived User
Qwix/ava Dev Team Ready To Add Xbmc Support To Qwix!
« on: January 29, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »

Check this thread:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...8&#entry3217718

The guys behind QWIX are eager to add XBMC support to QWIX, but the XBMC Team has to be willing to at least have boost mode as an FTP option in the code.

pike

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »

want != get

our ftpserver (old xbox port of FileZilla) is a standard ftpserver.
There's NOTHING standard with Boostmode and additionally Avalaunch is closed source. That's the simple truth, and no poll will change that...

Devenic

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »

Boost is an insanely simple protocol that everyone has come to think of as magical.  It's only a slight variation on passive mode FTP.

There are other SITE commands that are equally important to add to XBMC for full Qwix support.

gnutellafan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »

AVA has already said how they do boost mode:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=&...dpost&p=1263429

In addition, had you followed my link or read the thread you would know that Devenic, AVA/QWIX team member, is interested in adding XBMC support to QWIX, but that the XBMC would need to support (at least as an option) a few QWIX features, including boost mode. Hopefully Devenic would even be willing to submit some code but I cant speak for him, but at the very least he has implied that he would support their efforts on the XBMC side.

pike

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(gnutellafan @ Jan 30 2006, 02:49 AM) View Post

AVA has already said how they do boost mode:
http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=1263429

In addition, had you followed my link or read the thread you would know that Devenic, AVA/QWIX team member, is interested in adding XBMC support to QWIX, but that the XBMC would need to support (at least as an option) a few QWIX features, including boost mode. Hopefully Devenic would even be willing to submit some code but I cant speak for him, but at the very least he has implied that he would support their efforts on the XBMC side.

You ARE clueless, aren't you ?
What does it say in my signature ?
Don't you think I know a little more what's going on than you ?

gnutellafan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »

not horribly clueless, but maybe a little. I know you are one of the guys over at xbmc. I read your post and you seemed to be saying that the code was not available for the features I was requesting. I guess your emphasis was on the fact that boost mode is not standard and the desire of the xbmc team is to stick to standards...? If thats the case Im sure I cant change your minds. I was simply pointing out that the boost specs were available and that the AVA guys are willing to help, but I guess thats not the sticky point.

slumberpod77

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »

gnutellafan, as he said already, the FTP server in XBMC is FileZilla, an open-source application.

it logically follows that any changes made to "the FTP functions of XBMC" would actually need to be changes made to FileZilla itself, unless someone is willing to do a fork off of the main FileZilla source and the XBMC devs are willing to use that fork. BTW it would help if you actually have a practical understanding of what open source applications are before you try to "assist" in the development of them, as it would seem you lack a basic understanding of how it all works.

take a gander at the changelog for FileZilla:
http://filezilla-project.org/changelog.php
as you can see, it is still very actively developed with some changes logged in today.

there are three viable options:
-1: XBMC's FTP server remains FileZilla, without any unsupported stuff like Boost Mode, etc
-2: FileZilla has the neccessary changes added to it, and thus all versions of FileZilla gain such functions
-3: someone builds a derivative version of FileZilla which has those functions added but otherwise remains the same as the parent app.

option 2 would require someone to get in touch with the appropriate people here:
http://filezilla-project.org/contact.php
i do not know how they will react at all.

option 3 would require at least one developer who is both willing an able to do the neccessary work, which i suspect you will not be able to find.

This post has been edited by slumberpod77: Jan 30 2006, 06:10 AM

pike

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »

our version of FileZilla is ancient. (Like I said in my first post) see here: http://sourceforge.n...cts/xbfilezilla (it's from 2003)

The problem is: changing FileZilla into supporting boost.

Team XBMC is already short on developers, noone has time to look into this. Asking us or making polls will not change this fact. The Qwix developer doesnt have time to do it either.

The only thing that would actually HELP would be if some new talent (a new developer) did it for us.
And like has already been pointed out, specifications arent advanced, but it's the implementation into an existing ftpserver that is, since Boost is non standard. a
And you wouldnt want to break standard ftp functionality.

A new dev could also port a fresher filezilla to xbox while he's at it.

So GnutellaFan, if you really want this to happen, you know where to direct your energy now  biggrin.gif

elupus

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »

there are some initial work done in a patch on sf.. never looked at it myself.. gglaze said a while back he would, never hear anything about it after that..

<edit>flashfxp dev actually also refused to add it to his client due to it being incompatible with how his client worked</edit>

This post has been edited by elupus: Jan 31 2006, 03:39 AM