xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Split A Dvd Movie Iso While Keeping It Playable  (Read 36 times)

changes13

• Archived User
Split A Dvd Movie Iso While Keeping It Playable
« on: March 06, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »

I like to take entire dvd iso's, transfer it to my xbox hd, and just play the iso using xbmc.  however, xbox file system does not allow files > 4GB, and most isos are over 4GB by a bit.

Is there a method/program out there thta would allow me to split the iso into two files that could still be simply played by xbmc.  (Note, this is not split the file, move to a location, then reassemble.)

sbmd

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »

why not stream it? leave it on your computer and play it with xbmc anyways. might have to extract it first though.

or extract it then transfer over to xbox and it will play using the IFO file next to the first VOB file. works fine from me every time.

changes13

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »

I could stream it (and have done so in the past, which as you said, works like a charm.)  Problem is, I dont often have the PC on, which is in a different room, and it has no wake on lan feature.  So now your asking a lazy mofo to go upstairs, and thats just not an option.

Extracting and transferring is also doable and works, but I reiterate my lazy mofo comment.     However, I suppose this isnt much different than splitting the iso, but Ill juts have 4 files to deal with rather than 2.  :D

elupus

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

extract the iso to it's containing folder (plus having as an .iso is wrong anyways, should be .img or else xbmc doesn't know it's an dvd)

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 09:36:00 AM »

extract the iso to it's containing folder (plus having as an .iso is wrong anyways, should be .img or else xbmc doesn't know it's an dvd)

explain plz. i always change them to iso's and remove the menus then stream them. What do you mean "iso" is wrong? I'm doing something wrong?

elupus

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »

you name the file blabla.iso instead of blabla.img. If the file doesn't have an .img extension xbmc has no way of knowing it is a dvd.

And about extracting, mount up the file in for example daemon-tools and copy the files in the VIDEO_TS folder to some folder on your xbox, then start the movie by selecting the video_ts.ifo

This post has been edited by elupus: Mar 7 2005, 09:34 PM

changes13

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »

you can change the xml file to force xbmc to recognize and play a .iso as a video.  same thing as registering a file type in windows.

aero1

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(elupus @ Mar 7 2005, 08:02 PM)
And about extracting, mount up the file in for example daemon-tools and copy the files in the VIDEO_TS folder to some folder on your xbox, then start the movie by selecting the video_ts.ifo

I recall when I have don this you lose the subtitle or language choices with each vob. maybe I am wrong.

whit I do is use a program like dvd shrink (free) or dvd rebuilder +cce or nero recode to reduce to 3.95.

It is not a bad idea to use this size for burning to dvdr5 anway, as with both the worst and best blank media, the vast majority of errors occur in the outer ring beyound 4gb