xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Hexen - Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc.  (Read 8316 times)

ThaCrip

• Archived User
Hexen - Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc.
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 01:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(Movax @ Mar 15 2012, 11:45 PM) View Post

It doesn't matter which dash/app 'evoxdash.xbe' actually is.. it could be Coinops. The bios will load it first - by name only. If you want UnleashX rename it evoxdash.xbe. I believe HeXen renames dashboards as such when it installs them. (I haven't used it a lot.)

I prefer the XBMC Team shortcut, since you can change your dash by editing a text file, without utilizing any bios features/changes.

Thanks for the info but i already know that much wink.gif (i used to use that XBMC shortcut on my Softmods (before recently when i did TSOP) as i swapped the file it loaded with that shortcut to redirect it to where my XBMC install was)

i just prefer to keep official names as it's more professional that way.

but i think ill be fine as i decided to just flash x2.5035 back to the system along with my custom x2config.ini on the E partition. plus if that x2config.ini ever got deleted etc i still should be able to FTP back in since it will load my avalaunch.xbe by default from "C:\avalaunch.xbe" as that's the first thing, based on the way my XBox 1 is setup, that it finds first.

--------------------------------------------------------

@ Heimdall... well it appears your DVD-R recommendation must be rock solid as even my total crap Thompson's load up from DVD-R which, 3 out of the 4 i got, would never boot up from CD-RW.

which it's nice i know this now as i don't have to worry about running into a Thompson that won't work now smile.gif

i am surprised i did not know that though as i been into XBox 1 moding scene since Aug 2004 and consider myself fairly knowledgeable overall but obviously i don't know every little detail wink.gif

i used 8x burn speed since modern burners burn better at faster speeds than they do at slower speeds (assuming your using decent media). i usually get quality burns (according to disc scans with Kprobe) on Verbatim DVD-R even @ 20x with my burners. but i figured 8x is a pretty safe all around choice so i used that as i figured anything lower than 8x is probably unnecessary.

but just playing around with the disc does seem pretty easy to use as the menu's are nice and professional looking etc. but is it really as easy as it appears for flashing TSOP on a v1.2-1.5? (lacking any hardware related stuff of course)

but overall it looks like this disc will be all i need now. so the hell with my CD-RW discs i was using wink.gif

as the FTP works on it and the menu's look professionally setup and pretty much straight forward.

but a question... that "AYBX" password don't seem to be the password for the 'Format Menu'. like... XBox Admin > System > Format Menu and when i enter the password "AYBX", it says invalid etc. i even tried "Heimdall01" and still says invalid.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 05:00:00 AM »

4x works, 8x and you're taking a chance. It has nothing to do with modern burners, it's the old DVD drive that will be reading the discs that's the limiting factor. smile.gif

"Official" names only works if you're prepared to change the BIOS every time you want to change the dash. The generally accepted standard for TSOP/chip Xboxes has been to rename your dash evoxdash.xbe because that's easier than editing and reflashing the BIOS. With X2.5035 and iND-BIOS.5003 it's easier because you just edit the text config file, but it's still far simpler to rename the dash itself, especially from an installation disc.

For XBMC (where the dash is more than just a couple of files) the the Team XBMC shortcut is the method most people use - but again, renamed evoxdash.xbe and evoxdash.cfg.

HeXEn follows this standard. Small dashboards are renamed and moved to C:\evoxdash.xbe, XBMC is in E:\Apps\XBMC\ and uses the shortcut at C:\evoxdash.xbe. I did consider using the shortcut method exclusively, and putting all of the dashboards as Apps (like XBMC), but it might have confused the casual user.

For the format menu the password is Xbox.

ThaCrip

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 06:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Mar 16 2012, 06:00 AM) View Post

4x works, 8x and you're taking a chance. It has nothing to do with modern burners, it's the old DVD drive that will be reading the discs that's the limiting factor. smile.gif

"Official" names only works if you're prepared to change the BIOS every time you want to change the dash. The generally accepted standard for TSOP/chip Xboxes has been to rename your dash evoxdash.xbe because that's easier than editing and reflashing the BIOS. With X2.5035 and iND-BIOS.5003 it's easier because you just edit the text config file, but it's still far simpler to rename the dash itself, especially from an installation disc.

For XBMC (where the dash is more than just a couple of files) the the Team XBMC shortcut is the method most people use - but again, renamed evoxdash.xbe and evoxdash.cfg.

HeXEn follows this standard. Small dashboards are renamed and moved to C:\evoxdash.xbe, XBMC is in E:\Apps\XBMC\ and uses the shortcut at C:\evoxdash.xbe. I did consider using the shortcut method exclusively, and putting all of the dashboards as Apps (like XBMC), but it might have confused the casual user.

For the format menu the password is Xbox.

i see. that's weird if those low burn speeds actually matter because if it actually matters it would seem burners must burn those differently at slow speeds vs higher speeds as i would imagine a quality burn is a quality burn regardless of burn speeds. so if the low speed burning makes it easier for Thompson drives to read the disc they must have changed the way discs are read or something as there has to be some reason if low speed burning matters for Thompson drives. makes me wonder if brand of disc (maybe different dye's) matters more than burn speeds?

but 8x must be fine if your using a decent burner with good media (i used 'Sony Optiarc 7240s' with Verbatim DVD-R (MCC03RG20) @ 8x burn speed) as like i was saying it don't seem to have issues booting up (seems to boot the first time when i tried it) and i can navigate the menus etc and it copied over some of the files from the disc fine (i believe was somewhere around a 2MB/s read speed) so odds are the disc won't cause any issues.

but i see your point though as it would be less risky to change .xbe file names than re-flash TSOP.

but is it possible with this disc to have it load BIOS files from the hard drive for flashing to TSOP on any XBox (v1.0-1.5) of your own custom made ones, or is it solely only for the ones that are included on the disc?

but just curious... have you personally had any trouble burning at 8x or 12x or even 16x etc for use in a Thompson XBox?

and thanks for that password. although upon looking into it more if i need to format the drive i can use other options on the disc as it appears there is a option there for a initial hard drive setup.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »

You're missing the point about burning DVDs. Slower burn = more time burning each pit = deeper and better defined pits = easier to read. Again, it's about the quality of the technology used in the reader. The accepted rule is that 4x works, any higher and your are at the mercy of the burner, the quality of the media etc. It has nothing to do with "(changing) the way discs are read", it's the quality of the reading mechanism - especially on the old Thomson drives. I've had problems with discs burned quicker than 4x. Not always, but at least one of my Thomson drives struggled with 8x burns nomatter what media I used.

HeXEn only flashes the BIOSes on the DVD. You can edit it to add your own - the config file is fully commented, so it's relatively easy to work out what to do.

The formatting is really only there for historical reasons, and to allow you to quickly erase X, Y and Z.

ThaCrip

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Mar 16 2012, 07:59 AM) View Post

You're missing the point about burning DVDs. Slower burn = more time burning each pit = deeper and better defined pits = easier to read. Again, it's about the quality of the technology used in the reader. The accepted rule is that 4x works, any higher and your are at the mercy of the burner, the quality of the media etc. It has nothing to do with "(changing) the way discs are read", it's the quality of the reading mechanism - especially on the old Thomson drives. I've had problems with discs burned quicker than 4x. Not always, but at least one of my Thomson drives struggled with 8x burns nomatter what media I used.

HeXEn only flashes the BIOSes on the DVD. You can edit it to add your own - the config file is fully commented, so it's relatively easy to work out what to do.

The formatting is really only there for historical reasons, and to allow you to quickly erase X, Y and Z.

so basically it's just the way those old readers react to the disc because any non ancient DVD reader should be able to read any quality media burned at pretty much any speed. but i got you, as 4x is more of a 'fail-safe' when it comes to burning discs that are compatible with the Thompson drives even with variable media and variable burner quality.

is 8x burn speed the max that will work in your experience for these XBox boot discs? (or is it going higher than 8x and the failure rate of them booting starts to increase quite a bit?)

but anyways... i assume if i edit any of the data on the disc i can just use Quix to remake the ISO?

i am just checking as i used Quix to make my CD-RW boot discs i used a while back i believe.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »

qwix

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »

AYBX if it's a passcode, Xbox if it's a password.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »

Is your HeXEn disc a DVD-R?

What colour is the LED when you boot with no disc?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »

Can you boot Splinter Cell and load the gamesave?

ricbox

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »

Yep! I just did that. The LED turns Red, and the menu becomes like the one from the installation. What should I do from now on?

Also, it says that in C i've got only 1,48MB free, is that right?

ricbox

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 02:28:00 AM »

I mean, I've got several options. The menu is the blue one. Option 1: remove softmod on/off
ecc

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »

That's good. We can repair it from here.

What version is your Xbox?

ricbox

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 04:25:00 AM »

It's v.1.0

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 05:47:00 AM »

Take a copy of your eeprom, either using "Copy eeprom to MU", or using FTP.

Then select "Specify Fonts", and pick your kernel version. If you don't know it, try kernel 4034 first, then reboot without Splinter Cell in the DVD drive. (Don't worry, you can always get back to this menu using Splinter Cell). If 4034 doesn't work, repeat the process but select kernel 3944.

ricbox

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »

It worked with kernel 4034! Thank you very much. I think this should be a sticky.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5