xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Fully Configurable Ftp Server  (Read 47 times)

jimbo991

• Archived User
Fully Configurable Ftp Server
« on: January 26, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »

I'm well aware of the built-in ftp configs in eVox and Avalaunch (as well as many others by now I'm sure) but I was wondering if any of them were fully configurable.  Meaning, if I wanted to have my xbox on the network as a fully integrated FTP that could be accessed from the net, is this yet possible (either through the dash FTP options or some 3rd party homebrew piece)?  Thanks!

xboxgamer733

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »

To access your Xbox from outside your home network, you'll have to forward port 21 for your Xbox's IP address in your router's settings, and also know your WAN IP address.

Then, to connect to your Xbox using Internet Explorer, type ftp://wanipaddress:21.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »

accessing from the net really isn't a function of the ftp server... so yes that is possible as the previous poster said.

but full configurable ftp server with multiple user and level access, varying permissions, etc... NO.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 01:43:00 AM »

Well XBMC comes very close because in filezilla.xml you can set stuff like

<User Name="test">
<Option Name="Pass"/>
<Option Name="Group"/>
<Option Name="Resolve Shortcuts">0</Option>
<Option Name="Relative">0</Option>
<Option Name="Bypass server userlimit">0</Option>
<Option Name="User Limit">0</Option>
<Option Name="IP Limit">0</Option>
<Permissions>
<Permission Dir="C:\">
<Option Name="FileRead">1</Option>
<Option Name="FileWrite">0</Option>
<Option Name="FileDelete">0</Option>
<Option Name="FileAppend">0</Option>
<Option Name="DirCreate">0</Option>
<Option Name="DirDelete">0</Option>
<Option Name="DirList">1</Option>
<Option Name="DirSubdirs">0</Option>
<Option Name="IsHome">1</Option>
<Option Name="AutoCreate">0</Option>
</Permission>
</Permissions>
<SpeedLimits DlType="1" DlLimit="10" UlType="1" UlLimit="10" ServerDlLimitBypass="0" ServerUlLimitBypass="0">
<Download/>
<Upload/>
</SpeedLimits>
</User>

jimbo991

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »

Thanks for your replies!  And yes, I was referring more towards an ftp server program that would have configurable options for multiple access accounts, users, groups, hammering defense, bans, masks, etc.  However, it is interesting to see that XBMC is more configurable than I had originally thought.  Do you by any chance have a command list for the filezilla.xml file or is it somewhere in the literature for XBMC?

*On a side note, if this is something that could be done rather simply, maybe someone could pick it up as a project.  I know a lot of us have giant HD's in our box's and having the option to use it as network storage (through ftp or whatever else) is pretty handy.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »

honestly jimbo991 your barking up the wrong tree with getting homebrew app as a permanant ftp server if you want to do that I suggest you mod your box stick a huge HD in it and then run linux with a ftp server on it you will get all the advance options as well as a nice gui to configure it all in

This post has been edited by Jezz_X: Feb 2 2006, 12:25 AM