xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Coming Soon To A Xbox Near You  (Read 743 times)

ysbox

• Archived User
Coming Soon To A Xbox Near You
« on: March 06, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »

Here it is folks:

LinksBoks Homepage

There are screenshots smile.gif

A binary should be available for those who know where to get it (i won't tell you).

Any feedback is welcome. Epecially those of you who have HDTV, please report whether it works or not.

Enjoy.

nagmine

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 08:22:00 PM »

wow dude i just tryed it. it isnt perfect but gets the job done.. finaly people can stop begging for this and others wont need linux anymore haha. good job :P

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »

Yes good job.  I should be testing it out on my 55" Mitsubishi HDTV here in a bit.  Very good job indeed.  Glad youve answered this question for the masses who just HAVE to browse the WWW on their XBox.  

CrayZEE

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »

Well great work! it is amazing to see this finally being worked on. Props for that.

There are a few things missing but it isnt like im asking for them right now, but
maybe you could give it a thought for the future? ;)

-Java Support (That would be cool)
-USB Mouse & Keyboard Support (Multi-lingual)
-Mp3 / OGG / WAV / WMA Playback & Player Frontend
-Filemanager & Downloading Files (hell yeah!)
(I like to listen to music while browsing)
-Flash Support (not too important)
-Screen Resize, you know the whole screen like in XBMP, so you can calibrate it
to fit 100% to your TV, thats something i love about every application that has it.
-Bookmarks Editor Double click on the bookmark closes bookmarks and goes to
the link, this only works by selecting the link, then hitting start.
-Startup Page, heck yeah i would like to turn it on and immediatly have it show up
a website.

Well it's a bunch i ask, but you did already quite a bit, and i'm really impressed.

Somehow i do not get it to start using a PAL Xbox, 1.1, running Avalaunch / Evox
in NTSC mode using the Advanced AV Pack, yet in PAL videomode it works.
(The browser just hangs, verified using eject and the xbox reboots)

Anyways, congrats congrats congrats, i'm really happy with the result, and wish
you good luck on further versions, i'm still astonished it came out without the big
hype usually such stuff gets.

Thank ya, and keep it comming! ;)

Raver758

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 09:17:00 PM »

Wow very awsome job dude. This is a great software cant wait as it becomes more powerful!!

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 10:35:00 PM »

hi again  wink.gif
Yes, keyboard/mouse support would be kick ass, top priority IMO.  After that, the ability to d/l files.

nagmine

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 09:46:00 PM »

yeah thats the first thing that went through my mind is being able to download files :D it would be great  

snowbladenerd

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 03:32:00 AM »

downloading would be sweet, but why does every homebrew app in this community have to have fricken audio/video support. use xbmc for that.

spyd4r

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 05:33:00 AM »

AMAZING! thanks

....but i can't wait to see gator spyware for the xbox  rolleyes.gif

heh

Wishi

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 04:55:00 AM »

This is good, I like it.

One thing, I assume the sockets are blocking currently and this is why it freezes up when loading pages etc. Well, since it's tabbed it would be nicer to have it non blocking so we can continue to scroll etc. while loading

SNICK!

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2004, 06:39:00 AM »

ow man good job.

just tried it on my 36" normal tv and its great.
all it really needs is file downloading but that dosen't really matter just yet.

great job 10/10

cheerz beerchug.gif

Shordy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2004, 05:39:00 AM »

cant get it so start up on my 1.1 ntsc xbox :( hopefully you can fix this bug soon!! i really want to try this!!!

This post has been edited by Shordy: Mar 7 2004, 01:40 PM

ysbox

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2004, 06:50:00 AM »

One thing, I assume the sockets are blocking currently and this is why it freezes up when loading pages etc. Well, since it's tabbed it would be nicer to have it non blocking so we can continue to scroll etc. while loading

Yes, this is definitely an issue, because it actually shoudn't. I must admit I haven't really looked into it yet, but I hope to get that fixed without too much pain.

CrayZEE, I don't have a clue about your problem. One solution would be to revert back to regular 640x480 resolution (currently it does 720x480 for NTSC) which works everyhwere but that would be too bad, a 80-pixel wider screen is quite useful.

Don't worry, you'll get your downloads tongue.gif
The code is there but commented out (see http://atrey.karlin....hots/shot7s.png - it's in text mode though, and you already have the menus etc.). I'll reactivate it and make it work when I have time. Remember this is just a pre-release.

As stated in the VERSIONS file, I haven't plugged any input devices in my Xbox but controllers (must be old school...), so I guess the support for keyboard, mouse, IR and so on would be difficult to implement and debug without them - and I don't like to code blindly smile.gif I'll glady accept any patches for this!

As for the audio player, I second snowbladenerd on this; I can imagine how nice listening to your MP3s while browsing would be nice, but let's concentrate on the browser for now smile.gif

I thought of an embedded HTTP server too, with some CGI support... you could have a page listing your games/apps/etc. and click on a link to launch them. That would make a funny (and highly & easily skinnable) dashboard replacement. Well, it's just an idea heh, you're not gonna get it any time soon... But now that we have a working HTML engine, why not make a more "advanced" use of it...

Anyway, what do you think of my text input method? Would you prefer a regular virtual keyboard? (please say no! I don't want to write one! tongue.gif) Is it actually better?

Thanks for the props everyone.

ilonely2

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2004, 05:47:00 AM »

Awesome work... just tried it out.. and I'm severely impressed.  The only thing I can see missing (that could be considered urgent) is usb keyboard support.  Beyond that, I'm just happy to see it released and with open source even better, now some of our favorite dashboards will possibly consider adding this right into the dash... Great job again.  a sweet bit of work.. out of curiosity.. how long did it take you to port the code.. and is this a one-man project or a group project...??

Master-Chief

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2004, 07:13:00 AM »

This program is awesome... now I don't even need Linux!  biggrin.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6