xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)  (Read 98 times)

manatarms25

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« on: December 13, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »

OKI have always used the PBLmeto before but this sounds really cool if I understand this right. The file included says this

This will create a one-to-one image of your current C drive to the file
e:\shadowc\shadowc.img. Nkpatcher version 8 will automatically mount this
image instead of the usual C drive. You can then install and update MS dashboard
without modifications to the retail booting C drive.

You should make sure that the shadow drive is actually mounted before deleting
or modifying key files

Now does this mean after I install The NKpatcher files (telling uxe to load nkpatcher.xbe of course) no matter what movie or game I put in when it goes to update my dash that it wont matter because the the nkpatcher is really loading the shadowc.img file ? so its safe to watch all movies once again? When the dash updates it never messes with the font files does it (bert and enrie)

One more questions does the nkpatcher block xbox live like the new pblmeto does? I geuss it really wont matter since the dashupdates wont make a difference

so whats the sccop guys

P.B.L.meto or the NKpatcher 8.1 with ultil. ??

what do you use?

TX

krayzie

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 01:44:00 PM »

nkpatcher has all the M8 features except for lba-48 support so yes it has live blocking and yes your C drive will be absolutely safe while nkpatcher is running and there will be no more error screens when trying to watch certain movies or double game discs.

total_ass

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 01:54:00 PM »

as pedros would say

"once again the gap between softmod and modchip is reduced"

manatarms25

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »

no doubt sweet!!

now since the nkpatcher doesnt have lba-48 support now if I install a 200 gig and format the G drive will my extra room be in my G drive? Thanks in advance again..

RiceCake

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »

So even if you absofuckinglutely hose the C drive, as long as its the mounted image you hose, the original drive will be OK - and then still boot correctly?

Nice.

manatarms25

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »

well the font files still have to in place right? because during start-up the fonts tell the nkpatcher to load?

anyone know about the G drive with the nkpatcher

beenievtec

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 01:45:00 AM »

what files can be left on the actual c drive after the shadow is made...put the bert/ernie  fonts in "fonts" folder WITH the xbox fonts? can i replace the xboxdash.xbe renamed from update.xbe with the real xboxdash?

i understand what the shadowc does and its great..but i dont understand what i can change the retail c drive back to?

krayzie

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 03:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (manatarms25 @ Dec 13 2004, 11:31 PM)
well the font files still have to in place right? because during start-up the fonts tell the nkpatcher to load?

anyone know about the G drive with the nkpatcher

with no lba-48 support you can say goodbye too all the space above 137 gb. You will have to wait for nkpatcher 9 or a virtual c compatible m8 bios.

If you have mounted the image you can safely delete the renamed update.xbe file (xboxdash.xbe) and rename back the real xboxdash.xbe. You can delete the fonts folder and rename back f0nts to fonts.

beenievtec

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »

i ask because i did what the readme said and tested it with pbl and i think the shadow worked...but when i deleted everything back to where it was supposed to be i get an error 21...but inserting games and backup games still works...just no dashboard......any suggestions?

total_ass

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »

this is great, once i get my shadow C drive mounted i'm gonna make it stock, then all will run as normal once again and i will still have my exploit.

damn rmenhal is good.

ipodder2003

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »

Sorry, I'm a little lost with all of this.  What boots first when you power on the xbox?  What I guess I'm trying to say is how does nkpatcher load without any fonts?  Does this then allow xbox live to function?

total_ass

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »

no not at all.

okay nkpatcher loads from the exploit as normal. you have a font hacked C drive. then once nkpatcher has loaded, it replaces the C drive with an image saved on the E drive. This allows safe editing of the C drive and updates because anything that happens doesn't affect the real C drive, just a fake one that is really stored on the E drive in its place.

you will get banned off xbox live because you are running a modified kernel.

krayzie

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 12:35:00 PM »

QUOTE (ipodder2003 @ Dec 14 2004, 09:03 PM)
Sorry, I'm a little lost with all of this.  What boots first when you power on the xbox?  What I guess I'm trying to say is how does nkpatcher load without any fonts?  Does this then allow xbox live to function?

okay I'll explain shortly:
Xbox is turned on
kernel loads xboxdash.xbe
xboxdash.xbe loads (hacked) fonts
fonts load nkpatcher
nkpatcher looks for virtual c image and if it can find it it will load evoxdash.xbe from there.

So when the nkpatcher is active you can change the exploit setup back to the normal xboxdash.xbe and fonts folder cuz they won't be used after nkpatcher is loaded anyways.

Goin live is still not possible

ipodder2003

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »

I understand now, thank you both.  I've never used nkpatcher, but I might go for it now.  Kind of a bummer that live doesn't work, but it appears that we are getting closer.

Gavstar

• Archived User
Nkpatcher 8.1 (quick ?)
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 05:30:00 PM »

I know its probably been discussed elsewhere ad infinitum but do we really want access to Live! when running mods? Surely it opens up the whole cheating/hacks/trainers issues that make it such a refreshing alternative to many online PC Games.

Anyway, just a quick Q - how do you access the REAL C? Would you have to run a gamesave everytime you needed access?

EDIT - can't see anything in the package about an unmount xbe for it, but i suppose its simple enough to add a rename script to your dash.

This post has been edited by Gavstar: Dec 15 2004, 01:34 AM