xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?  (Read 336 times)

iLLNESS

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2004, 03:33:00 AM »

hey guys

not sure if this is really mentioned.. but thinking about the old xbox live hack to play burned games...

couldnt u just burn this game to dvd, of course adding in a backed up copy of your choice..  renaming the games (backed up ones) default.xbe to update.xbe or whatever.. launch the disc.. and play the backed up game on live?

or am i missing something here

i mean if this cd itself can be booted from cd... is it not possible to boot basically any xbe afterwards? (changing the media type or something)

i lost myself
lol

jimmsta

• Recovered User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2004, 02:45:00 PM »

the problem is that changing the media flag in any other xbe's would remove the MS signature from the file... however, I'm not sure if you could, say, put a hacked update.xbe on the disc, and load up crap that way...

Say, how does the hacked update.xbe work on the xbox, anyway? Does it still have the MS sig? I've been somewhat out of the loop, so I haven't a clue how that thing works exactly. If we could patch one of the exploited update.xbe's with the media flag for CDs, it would be the key for a Utopia cd.

Perhaps there's a way to force an update.xbe to look for fonts on the dvd, without screwing up the signature of the file... I'm going to make a new xboxhdm cd, and fool around with possible hacks... or better yet, attempt to get this cd, and rip the files off it, then try to brute-force some fonts into that thing... there's gotta be a way in .... maybe it's something just as simple as the LPC port (not really simple, but MS probably figured that the softmods would be the first hack, then the hard mods... or at least that's how I see it)

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »

Yep the exploitable update.xbe is still m$ signed.

jimmsta

• Recovered User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »

hmm... that's neat... but I don't know whether there's a way to exploit running from a cd... I wonder if anyone has tried it.... If not, I'm willing to... I've got a fsck'd xbox HD that I'll be reformatting today, so I guess it would make sense to fool around with the idea....

EDIT: Wait a minute...

Wasn't the exploitable xbe found on a dvd? ... /me ponders something....

monkeycrew

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »

maybe M$ have left this little puzzle open for us on purpose.

think, the PS sold alot more machinces once chipping had become a widescale and cheap operation.

xbox - on it's last "financial" legs so to speak, with the upcoming releases of PS3 and obviously Xbox2.

M$ want a massive user base hooked into the xbox theme prior to release of the next-gen's 'cus that means you are more likely to stay brand loyal.

make a 'mistake' that means people can buy a off the shelf xbox, then buy copied games that work with no modification and your user market will expand at en expontial rate, word of mouth will do the rest.

would explain why it's got released like this...

it would be one of the most underhand, *albeit, cleverest, marketing ploys to date.

** the fact that i say playing backups on unmoddified is presume the new method leads to the prospect of bootstrapping backups with code dervied from this release.

NOTE; i have another little idea about the release, something doesnt look right about it.  anyone know where it hit first? what severs it got linked up on? uploaders etc? (please disregard Qs if against site rules; i am not looking to d/l iso, just querying its original source)

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2004, 06:19:00 PM »

does the disc use the c:\fonts?

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »

QUOTE (DaddyJ @ Dec 20 2004, 03:22 AM)
does the disc use the c:\fonts?

I'm a noob but doesn't look to be so i've been running the logger for a while and don't see it loading that.. I might be wrong  huh.gif

afon

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »

Any progress? This is very interesting..

jsrlepage

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2004, 07:57:00 PM »

any update on this? pondered : if we're able to burn these files ourselves and it still executes, why in the nine hells shouldn't we hack it and launch directly evox from the cd?

</imbecility off>

The_Truth

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2004, 11:10:00 PM »

wink.gif

PedrosPad

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2004, 01:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(afon @ Dec 22 2004, 03:12 AM)
Any progress? This is very interesting..

Cio

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2004, 06:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(jsrlepage @ Dec 22 2004, 05:00 AM)
any update on this? pondered : if we're able to burn these files ourselves and it still executes, why in the nine hells shouldn't we hack it and launch directly evox from the cd?

PedrosPad

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2004, 08:27:00 AM »

wink.gif program, that conveniently happens burnt along side on the media, directly, and HDD based exploits would no longer be needed. biggrin.gif

The_Truth

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2004, 08:31:00 AM »

by default .xbe's dont use font files

Cio

• Archived User
Hmm, X L Arcade "bait"?
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2004, 02:16:00 AM »

jester.gif

But seriously, i cant code really, can just reason.

Seems the problem is finding a xbe that loads ANYTHING from a disk and runs from a burned disk.

Could someone "point" me towards more details about media tags (i presumed the only tags where HD and DVD/CD-RW).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8