xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Urgent Help Required!  (Read 210 times)

Juiced2k

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« on: October 25, 2004, 09:55:00 PM »

Ok, I have softmodded my Xbox using UDE1 and it has been working perfectly, but then one of my stupid friends unplugged the power and I didn't notice as I haven't been home the last few days and today when I tried to start up the xbox to play Jet Set Radio Future (Original Version - Not Copied) the Xbox starts up and after the flubber screen it displays an empty screen with the outline of the MS Dash, similar to when you are updating your dashboard for XBL but no writing or anything is shown and nothing happens.

I will take a picture of it later on and post it.

What could be wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks for any help   sad.gif

EDIT:- By the way it won't boot any original games or copied games and it won't run Evox or MXM

krayzie

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 11:05:00 PM »

yeah it seems the xbox cannot boot the bert and ernie fonts properly anymore. If it wasn't unplugged you could have booted original games but now you will have to hotswap to fix the fonts.

Juiced2k

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 11:07:00 PM »

Oh crap...Isn't there anyother way to fix it apart from hotswapping because I don't wanna fry the HDD

What do I need to do to fix the fonts?

This post has been edited by Juiced2k on Oct 26 2004, 06:07 AM

krayzie

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 11:10:00 PM »

if it's not booting to evox or not booting original games your only option is to hotswap unless you have backed up your eeprom like any wise softmodder would do. You need to check out if all the fonts are in place (retail fonts in c:\f0nts and hacked fonts in c:\fonts)

Juiced2k

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 10:11:00 PM »

I did backup my Eeprom but I think that I might of forgotten to copy the backup off the Xbox HDD sad.gif

Also, how do I know if a font is missing?

And what is the easiest way to Hotswap

krayzie

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »

normally its a bert (either kernel specific or generic) and an ernie font and sometimes an s.xtf also. I dunno much about hotswapping (luckily) but when I do it I do it to my other (chipped) xbox which is rather easy. There are lots of tutorials fort hotswapping to a pc.

Juiced2k

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »

I will give it a try but hopefully the HDD doesn't get screwed tongue.gif

Also, if there is something wrong with the fonts, do I just replace them with similar Bert & Ernie fonts?

Also, is it easier to do this with a chipped Xbox or a PC? and what would I need to do with the chipped Xbox?

farbird

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 02:32:00 AM »

I had that happened once when I forgot to remove the xtf files from the root directory of c:

Juiced2k

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 04:46:00 AM »

Did you fix it by hotswapping and reinstalling the exploit?

Additionally, here is a picture of how the Xbox looks like once it has started:-

(IMG:http://img45.exs.cx/img45/4149/Error6.th.jpg)

Click the thumbnail for a larger view

This post has been edited by Juiced2k on Oct 26 2004, 03:34 PM

krayzie

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »

Leaving the font files on the root of C makes no difference if you have a fonts folder since the update.xbe will load the fonts in the fonts folder first. Also if it could load the font files you would see the bar scrolling and a text dispayed that the update could not connect to live or something. I had this screen once with a wrong set of fonts.

Juiced2k

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »

QUOTE (krayzie @ Oct 26 2004, 05:17 PM)
Leaving the font files on the root of C makes no difference if you have a fonts folder since the update.xbe will load the fonts in the fonts folder first. Also if it could load the font files you would see the bar scrolling and a text dispayed that the update could not connect to live or something. I had this screen once with a wrong set of fonts.

Oh so there is a problem with the Update.xbe? The Xbox has been working fine but when my mate unplugged it from the wall that is when the problem started sad.gif

I am worried about doing the Hotswap but shall try my best....unless there is an easier way to fix the Xbox...

Darkseeker

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 11:45:00 AM »

i've done hotswaps on over 20 xboxes...

never had a problem.

galladel

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »

Im not that familiar with UDE1 but i thought that the reason UDE1 was so good was that you did not have problems with the clock.  Am i wrong in assuming that it's not the clock that caused this and that the person scrwed something else up for it not to boot straight to the hacked dashboard.  I mean fonts don't go bad on their own right?  It was my understanding that UDE is ultimate because of the fact that you don't have clock problems.

krayzie

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

The UDE doesn't have clock loop problems. But when the clock is dead the kernel still calls to the xboxdash.xbe. Maybe since the fonts that were installed didn't work properly they crashed. Normally the fonts would set the clock but that didn't happen since you would be able to boot retail games then. Therefore it's a font problem.

galladel

• Archived User
Urgent Help Required!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »

hehe okay that much i figured out.  What im actually getting at here is if it was working before they must have done something that broke the fonts.  Meaning the unpluging part really didn't have anything to do with it breaking it just agravated the problem as it prevents the easy fix(booting to 007 and re installing) Am i right?  What i want to know is, does unplugging an xbox cause ude to break? Im guessing no.
Pages: [1] 2