xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Strange Bios Screen / Start Screen - Softmod Not Possible?  (Read 66 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User
Strange Bios Screen / Start Screen - Softmod Not Possible?
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »

It's been chipped or TSOP flashed. If you've opened it and can't see a chip then it's been flashed.

Either way, it's already modded, so you don't need to softmod it (and as you've found a softmod won't run anyway!). Work out what version Xbox it is, run BIOS checker to see which BIOS it has, flash a newer BIOS if necessary, then just drop in your new disc and build it with Slayers or AID.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »

There is only one eeprom (on the motherboard), and on a TSOP box it isn't protected by a virtual eeprom, so the backup will be the right one. smile.gif

coolmak

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »

ok, so this is what bios checker gives me:

IPB Image

i also noticed that when i start the box by pressing both reset + power button then there is the normal xbox start screen......it bails out to service screen because the disk is not locked currently (which i will change in the next minutes).

what does this mean? which bios do i run? how can i find out? bios checker did not tell me much i guess.

btw: i already replaced the hdd with the 2.5" replacement (by building it with xboxhdm like i was used to do it on the 2 other softmodded xboxes).....and the box only boots to discs, it does not boot to any dash. i will lock the hdd and check if it boots to any dash then.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »

It's not giving you an error message because the disc isn't locked - TSOP Xboxes don't need a locked disc - it's because it can't find a dash on your hard disk. What error number are you getting  (top left of the screen)? If you aren't getting an error number then you've got an Xbox 1.0.

You don't need to use xboxhdm to build the disk - just put Slayers in the DVD, reboot, and use Slayers to build the disk.

The BIOS is probably one that has been customised, so BIOS Checker doesn't have a checksum for it and therefore can't recognise it.

Once you have the disk properly rebuilt and booting normally you can then use Evox to flash the Xbox with a recognised BIOS. As you've got a 1 MB chip (M29F080A) you can use any BIOS. I'd suggest X2.5035, but do some reading and make up your own mind.