xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Eprom Fix Just Theory Till Tested  (Read 119 times)

belgarath

• Archived User
Eprom Fix Just Theory Till Tested
« on: August 07, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

As we already know we can hot swap a cheapmod chip with a motherboard that has the propper socketed bios this has been proven to work.

ok what i thought was why cant you hot swap the eprom from the xbox to this board (either by taking the eprom off the motherboard or small wires connected to the pins of the eprom and pluged into the socket for the hot swap.

i know the socket is much bigger but from what i seen on the elvis programmer if you connect it to the further end away from the half circle marker and come 1 set of pins back it should be in the right place for the board to read it.

all that is needed is sombody with an otherwise dead mother board to see if they can get something out of the chip

maybe the software used to program the cheap mod bios can also be used to read the eprom and hey maybe wright something back to.

lol i tried to draw a pic with asci lets say it was sad so i got a pic  from another threds pic.

(IMG:http://www.dct4codes.co.uk/elvis2.jpg)
                      ^--------chip placed like this
and this just theory i havent tried it my self i havent got a dead board lying around just working ones  :beer:

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 04:03:00 AM »

How much it would cost to do this ?

just borrow/rent a game and run whatever program(evox, linux etc.) once to get the eeprom and save it.

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 09:09:00 AM »

You can read a serial eeprom chip with any proper reader..  I don't think your theory has any holes since it is known to work..  Often times the socket is extended for versatility with chips of other sizes/pinouts.  I don't know the details of the elvis programmer..  If it claims to handle 24C02 serial eeproms (or its family)then there is no reason to doubt it,but if it doesn't claim to support it it is very unlikely that it will..  There are simple schematics to build reeaders (with software downloads) capable of reading and writing 24C02s at www.lancos.com..  I believe they sell premade packages as well.

Edit: You can also swap eeprom chips between xboxes like you talked about, provided that the versions match..  Compatibility works like this.
1.0 is 1.0 Only
1.1 is 1.1-1.5
1.6 is unique thus far
Incorrect version will give no video output with a flashing red and red Led

This post has been edited by triggernum5 on Aug 7 2004, 04:12 PM

YoshiKool

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »

I thought the EEPROM chips were the same just the data different?

RiceCake

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 05:14:00 PM »

The 1.6 EEPROM's encrypted differently.

Course reusing EEPROM's like this would mean hard drive relocking.

Interesting guide, was wondering how you would go about reprogramming the EEPROM. Hmm, I wonder if its possible to emulate the EEPROM over a PC printer port...

This post has been edited by RiceCake on Aug 8 2004, 12:15 AM

belgarath

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »

the elvis programer does work with the eprom pic if seaated as the picture shown and this softaware is run.

it the old faithfull Multi programmer v3.5 aka the Elvis programmer used in the sat world for reading and writing wafers and goldcards etc etc. With the eeprom wired with flying leads to the ic socket and running multiprog v1.40 on the i2c page.

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 01:49:00 AM »

If emulating eeproms through a pc comes about ppl would surely start brute forcing valid live eeproms.  Would wreak havoc on MS and lots of xbox live users that had their eeprom hijacked..

RiceCake

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 02:00:00 AM »

Yeah, true I guess...

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »

Is it possible to edit the 1.6 eeprom yet?  Do we have the knowledge, but are missing an app like Config Magic?. Or is the layout of the contents a mystery?  I'm just curious because I'd like to know if eeprom magic would be capable of flashing an edited eeprom image onto the chip  (It checks nothing except 256 byte filesize)unlike the other apps that read/edit the eeprom version to prevent conflicts.

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 09:43:00 AM »

Yes it's possible. And I made a linux tool to set the XBE region of the eeprom.

The layout of the eeprom is the same. It's just encrypted with a different key. I could upgrade ConfigMagic but dont have XDK (The CM source recommends a specific (old) XDK version).