xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Live 2.0 Compatible Exploit  (Read 1065 times)

markpoke1

• Archived User
Live 2.0 Compatible Exploit
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2004, 08:52:00 PM »

I've got a Halo green Xbox, K5713, D5659, and the Easter Egg won't work for me at all.

After hitting done after naming the soundtrack the screen turns black and shows the Xbox logo with the MS logo for a few seconds, then it returns to the dashboard and gives me a disc error. Same as the standard message that pops up when you stick an unsupported disc in a non-modded Xbox:

"You Xbox can't recognize this disc. Make sure it's an Xbox game, DVD movie, or audio CD. Also check to see if the disc is dirty or damaged. Remove the disc to continue."

I've tried with several CDs (original ones not burned of course) with the same result. Anyone else get this trouble? Is it the kernel?

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2004, 01:22:00 AM »

Any chance that this will work on kernel 5530? Previous exploits didn't work on it (even tho I downgraded dash to 4920)

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2004, 01:42:00 AM »

Any chance that this will work on kernel 5530? Previous exploits didn't work on it (even tho I downgraded dash to 4920)

any exploit (except the mech fonts) work on a 5530 kernel. It's just pbl that cannot be used. I haven't really looked into this exploit but I'm sure it works too as long as you don't boot to pbl.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2004, 04:08:00 AM »

QUOTE (markpoke1 @ May 20 2004, 05:52 AM)
I've got a Halo green Xbox, K5713, D5659, and the Easter Egg won't work for me at all.

After hitting done after naming the soundtrack the screen turns black and shows the Xbox logo with the MS logo for a few seconds, then it returns to the dashboard and gives me a disc error. Same as the standard message that pops up when you stick an unsupported disc in a non-modded Xbox:

"You Xbox can't recognize this disc. Make sure it's an Xbox game, DVD movie, or audio CD. Also check to see if the disc is dirty or damaged. Remove the disc to continue."

I've tried with several CDs (original ones not burned of course) with the same result. Anyone else get this trouble? Is it the kernel?

Hi markpoke1,

You sound like the brave man with the right HW to test this out.  Thanks for trying.

You may have tried to do too much, too soon.  Testing with CDs may be premature.

The first test required is to simply see if the Dashboard's easter egg launcher will execute a pre-live dashboard, on your Kernel.  Try just swapping the easter egg XBE file for a legacy, but retail pre-live dashboard - Dashboard 4817 seems the most popular.  You'll have to put 4817s XIP support files and XTf font files on the root of C:\, and put it's xboxdash.xbe, renamed to settings_adoc.xip over the easter egg files in xboxdashdata....

Does the easter egg fire, and bring up the pre-ive dashboard?  If this fails, nothing else downstream will work.  It this works, then the easter egg exploit could have a big future.

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2004, 04:21:00 AM »

I was speaking with someone earlier and they were trying the easter-egg with their 5713 kernel, if they did things correct on their end it will not work.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »

I'm trying to clarify whether the easter egg exploit is in fact any use to anyone.  To the best of my understanding the options are thus:

Anyone who's Kernel permits execution of a pre-live Dashboard has the options of
  • downgrading to boot Dashboard 4290 and
    • using the boot font exploit (BiCoE, BigFonts, etc.)
      • Pros:
        • Directing booting to Evox, etc,

• Can still use custom sound tracks in games (the M$ Dashboard can still be accessed from Evox)

• Cons:
        • Risk of clock-loop.

• No access to the XBOX!Live console.

• using the MechFonts boot font exploit (thx {later} wink.gif )
      • Pros:
        • Control over when exploit is triggered (very easy).
        • Can still use custom sound tracks in games.

• Cons:
        • Risk of clock-loop (albeit reduced).
        • No direct boot into Evox, etc.

• use the audio exploit
      • Pros:
        • No risk of clock loop.

• Control over when exploit is triggered.

• Can access to the XBOX!Live console.

• Cons:
        • Finger dancing in order to trigger exploit.

• Can't use custom sound tracks in games.

• use the double-dash exploit
      • Pros:
        • No risk of clock loop.

• Cons:

• use the easter egg exploit
      • Pros:
        • No risk of clock loop.

• Cons:

• using the latest boot Dashboard, retaining access to it's benefits (up to 5959 anyway) and
    • using the double-dash exploit
      • Pros:
        • No risk of clock loop.

• Cons:

• Pros:
        • No risk of clock loop.

• Cons:

• using the very latest boot Dashboard 5960, retaining access to it's benefits(?)
      • Pros:
        • No risk of clock loop.

• Cons:

All these exploits have solutions to any disk swapping issue, thus can play homebrew media and all allow playing of XBOX!Live games, when booted from original media.

Anyone who's Kernel prevents them executing a pre-live Dashboard can't use any of the Dashboard exploits (easter egg included).

Have I missed anything?

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2004, 09:20:00 AM »

Excellant post. Very thorough, I can't see anything at the moment you missed.

{later}

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2004, 10:30:00 AM »

the mechfonts don't direct boot to evox. Instead, they change the xbox live! button to phoenix, so you need to select phoenix everytime you wanna go to evox.

I've done the mechfonts exploit for 5 of my friends and none of them ever got a clock loop. When I leave my xbox 7 days without voltage, then it's just 1 reboot and I can set the clock  cool.gif

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2004, 02:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mate98 @ May 20 2004, 10:16 PM)
one thing i see is u say u cant use live with the dd exploit i thought u could but u cant lunch it from the ms dash just from within the game =)

Well, if your using it within a game that to me sounds like it works but I guess he could be a bit more detailed and include if it can be launched from dash...  dry.gif

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2004, 02:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (Angerwound @ May 20 2004, 11:22 PM)
Well, if your using it within a game that to me sounds like it works but I guess he could be a bit more detailed and include if it can be launched from dash...  dry.gif

Already done in http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=216825

Thx guys.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mate98 @ May 20 2004, 10:16 PM)
one thing i see is u say u cant use live with the dd exploit i thought u could but u cant lunch it from the ms dash just from within the game =)

I don't have broadband, and consequently, I've never used XBOX!Live.  That said....

I didn't realize that you could access the XBOX!Live console from a booted XBOX!Live game.  However, if you can, I doubt that an XBOX!Live console on the media would be being used (it would date far too quickly), thus, I'd speculate that the game launches the  HDD based XBOX!Live console in the xodash folder.  If you've replaced the XBOX!Live Dashboard in the xodash folder with a pre-live Dashboard, in order to use the double-dash exploit, the game too would launch the pre-live Dashboard.

Feedback welcome.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »

Yeah if you try to acces live from within a game it reaches for the onlindash.xbe. Now if the file would be present but only renamed i'm sure it can be scripted to get it back to original. Problem however is how to get it back to modded state when the dash gets updated and become newer than 4920. Then you'd need a gamesave to get it back.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2004, 11:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (krayzie @ May 21 2004, 07:24 AM)
Yeah if you try to acces live from within a game it reaches for the onlindash.xbe. Now if the file would be present but only renamed i'm sure it can be scripted to get it back to original. Problem however is how to get it back to modded state when the dash gets updated and become newer than 4920. Then you'd need a gamesave to get it back.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2004, 08:23:00 AM »

Ok, new idea brewing to solve the ROJ problem...

We've all been booting to Live 1.0 Dashboard 4290, and spawning pre-live Dashboard 4817.  This is because only Dashboard 4290 has the XBOX!Live menu option.

Now here's an interesting finding:

Live 1.0 Dashboard 4290, Allowed media types = 0x80000001, XBE_MEDIA_HDD
Pre-Live Dashboard 4817, Allowed media types = 0x00000001, XBE_MEDIA_HDD
However, when you boot into Dashboard 4817, ROJ isn't on, as you can insert Music CDs, etc.

Also note that these Dashboards keep their fonts in different places, but the font exploit works with both these Dashboards.

Thus, one should be able to boot into Pre-Live Dashboard 4817, and ROJ is known not to be set, and then use the Easter egg exploit to boot Live 1.0 Dashboard 4290, exploited with the font exploit.  Because it has the magic 0x80000001 - ROJ stay off - media flag, the font exploit should fire, launching Evox, etc., and ROJ should remain off.

I'll try this later if someone doesn't beat me to it.

This post has been edited by PedrosPad: May 21 2004, 03:27 PM

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »

Worked! biggrin.gif
  • Restored Pre-live Dashboard 4817 (in its entirety to C:\)
  • Replaced C:\setting_adoc.xip, with the Live 1.0 Dashboard 4290 xboxdash.xbe
  • Put the double-dash Bert & Ernie font files in C:\fonts.
Booted to 4817, entered the Easter egg code, Dashboard 4290 booted momentarily, then jumped to the Evox menu.  I then ejected the DVD tray, and closed it repeatedly – Evox correctly reported the tray state in the corner of the screen, and absolutely no sign of Reset-On-Eject. smile.gif

A bit cumbersome to use, I admit, but it worked.

This seems to verify rmenhal's understanding of the relationship of the "Allowed media types = 0x80000001" XBE header field to Reset-On-Eject, but also reveals that this bit doesn't need to be set for the boot Dashboard.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9