xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Checklists For Fonts/audio Exploits And Pbl  (Read 538 times)

Grospolina

• Archived User
Checklists For Fonts/audio Exploits And Pbl
« on: February 12, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »

Okay, people are always asking the same questions over and over, so here are some easy checklists to look at before you do the same:

General Softmod Tips:
1. After getting any exploit working, run EvoX backup and then copy the files (especially eeprom.bin) to your PC.  This is essential in the case that you cannot access your hard drive after making a bad mistake.  Don't assume that it won't happen to you.
2. Do not reboot if your drive is unlocked.  Do not unlock it for no reason.  The Xbox will not boot from an unlocked drive (when using softmods only).  Disable the lock/unlock actions (if they exist) in evox.ini if you are using EvoX.
3. Do not delete any of the original files in C: drive (except maybe the old fonts).  These are the dashboard files, and they are required for any dashboard exploit (font, audio) to work.

Ultimate Dashboard Exploit (UDE):
1. You MUST NOT have kernel 5713 or higher (it doesn't let you use and old update.xbe)
2. You MUST have the correct version on update.xbe
3. You SHOULD make a backup copy of your original xboxdash.xbe
4. You MUST rename update.xbe to xboxdash.xbe and replace C:\xboxdash.xbe
5. You MUST rename "Xbox.xtf" and "XBox Book.xtf" to change the extension (usually to .XFT).
6. You SHOULD make a copy of your original xboxdash.xbe and edit it to point to your original font files, so that you can still access the dash (tutorial).  You can use XTF2XFT Patcher instead of hex editing the files.
7. You SHOULD backup your C:\ drive, especially xboxdash.xbe
8. If you have XTF files in C:\, you SHOULD change the extension (e.g. XFT) or delete them
9. You MUST use bert_ate_ernie.xtf
10. You MUST NOT use bert.xtf, ernie.xtf and/or snuffleupagus.xtf
11. You SHOULD NOT delete your other dashboard files (C:\Audio, C:\xboxdashdata.xxxxxx)

Note: Instead of renaming the fonts from XTF to XFT, you could rename the C:\fonts directory (e.g. C:\f0nts).  This is the suggestion in the original UDE thread.  Either way works.

Font Exploit (except UDE):
1a. You MUST have MS dashboard 4920 or lower (upgrade/downgrade if you don't)
1b. You MUST NOT have kernel 5713 or higher (it doesn't let you downgrade the dashboard)
2. You MUST NOT move, delete, or edit C:\xboxdash.xbe (but you can copy it and edit that)
3. You MUST rename "Xbox.xtf" and "XBox Book.xtf" to change the extension (usually to .XFT)
4. You MUST sign default.xbe with the -font key (unless it's already signed)
5. You SHOULD make a copy of xboxdash.xbe and edit it to point to your original font files (Do NOT replace C:\xboxdash.xbe with it though), so that you can still access the dash (tutorial).  You can use XTF2XFT Patcher instead of hex editing the files.
6. You SHOULD backup your C:\ drive, especially xboxdash.xbe
7. You SHOULD NOT delete "Xbox.xtf" and "XBox Book.xtf"
8. You SHOULD use Bigfonts, Ernie & Bert Reloaded, or hacked MechInstaller fonts (differences)
9. You SHOULD NOT use "Bert is Cheating on Ernie" fonts (only works on kernel 4034)
10. It's a good idea have a working copy of a gamesave exploit with FTP access.  If you do, you MUST NOT unplug the Xbox for more than 3-4 hours if the Xbox does not boot (e.g. installation not yet complete), or else you will not be able to use the gamesave.
11. MI fonts: You MUST rename your original fonts to "Xbox.bak" and "XBox Book.bak" (NOT .XFT)

Audio Exploit:
1a. You MUST have MS dashboard 4920 (upgrade/downgrade if you don't)
1b. You MUST NOT have kernel 5713 or higher (it doesn't let you downgrade the dashboard)
2. You MUST NOT move, delete, or edit C:\xboxdash.xbe (but you can copy it and edit that)
3. You MUST sign the XBE with the key it uses (unless it's already signed)
4. You SHOULD backup or rename your original ST.DB (if you have one)
5. You SHOULD know the XBE name that it loads (e.g. E:\linux.xbe, E:\linux.x, E:\exploit, or E:\pbl.xbe) and what key it uses (-habibi or -audio)

Phoenix BIOS Loader (PBL):
1. You MUST NOT have kernel 5530 or higher (flash TSOP, install chip, or don't use PBL)
2. You MUST have the RC4 key in the boot.cfg file (it shouldn't be all 0x00's)
3. You SHOULD have the EEPROM keys in the boot.cfg file (they shouldn't be all 0x00's)
4. You MUST use bootable-from-media (BFM) BIOS ROM(s)
5. If the screen flickers, then you have the Focus chip and you MUST use a newer BIOS (e.g. X2 4979 and up, or Evox M7)
6. You MAY turn on debug mode ("debug true" in boot.cfg) to speed up booting (no logo)
7. You SHOULD use XBtool to check the boot paths in your BIOS ROM(s).
8. PBL1.3: You SHOULD rename the BIOS to "xboxrom.bin" (or edit the name in boot.cfg)
9. PBL1.3: You SHOULD NOT delete "phoenix.raw"
10. PBL1.3: You DO NOT need to include the "phoenixboot" folder (source files)
11. PBL1.3.5i: You MUST put at least one BIOS ROM in the "Bioses" folder
12. PBL1.3.5i: You SHOULD edit boot.cfg to point to the name of one of your ROMs
13. PBL1.3.5i: You DO NOT need to include the "Source" folder (source files)
14. PBL1.3.5i: You MAY need to unplug third-party controllers and/or memory cards when loading PBL

I'll edit and add stuff if I've missed anything.  Please comment on the checklists if you want, but also please do not ask for help in this topic (search or make a new topic).

Edit 1: Added item on getting MS dashboard to work when using fonts
Edit 2: Added item about not unplugging Xbox when fonts do not work
Edit 3: Clarified item about not unplugging Xbox.  Fixed typo in second PBL1.3.5i item.  Added comment about removing third-party memory cards when using PBL1.3.5i.
Edit 4: Numbered points for easy reference.
Edit 5: Added general softmod tips.
Edit 6: Added warnings about kernel 5713.
Edit 7: Added info about UDE.

This post has been edited by Grospolina: Jun 9 2004, 04:22 PM

oblox

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »

Pin it!

Only for the font's exploits you forgot about hexediting a copy xboxdash.xbe to pick up the .XFT or .BAK fonts.

Grospolina

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 10:41:00 AM »

Good point.  I'll add it.

nihilistic

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 11:08:00 AM »

This should definitely be pinned.  It would have saved time and space from countless
meaningless posts and discussions if it already existed.

RiceCake

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 08:36:00 AM »

Pinnied!  biggrin.gif

Grospolina

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 07:48:00 PM »

Thank you!  B)

plasmafur

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »

Great info, thanks!

I do have a question though. If i've got a 5530 kernel and I can't use PBL does that mean there's no way to run unsigned code without chiping / TSOP flashing?

I guess I'm not exactly clear on what functionality I'm loosing by not being able to run PBL.

Also, if I can downgrade my dash, why not my kernel?

sorry for the noob questions! thanks!

This post has been edited by plasmafur: Feb 20 2004, 04:31 PM

eSoul

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 10:20:00 AM »

With not running PBL, you must sign your XBEs with the signature of the hack you are using (habibi, audio, font -- although, I just sign everything with habibi, even for the audio hack since I also have 5530)

And you can not "downgrade" your kernel because its on a Flash EEPROM soldered to the motherboard of the xbox.  You can flash it (TSOP Flashing), but then you have to make sure you get a M7 evox bios of the x2 4879 (or later) bios to support the Focus video chip you are bound to have with that late of a kernel onboard.

This post has been edited by eSoul: Feb 20 2004, 06:20 PM

Grospolina

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »

That's right.  Downgrading your kernel would mean flashing your BIOS (which also means opening your Xbox to solder some points).  It's not that hard (compared to soldering a 29-wire mod chip).  However, if you're going to flash your BIOS, then you might as well use a hacked BIOS, instead of using a retail BIOS.  That way, you don't even have to use the software exploits.

In other words, downgrading your kernel with a retail BIOS is possible, but not very practical.  I suppose the only advantage would be that you could still use Xbox Live (but only when you don't run PBL).

joesoth

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 02:06:00 PM »

QUOTE (Grospolina @ Feb 12 2004, 08:07 PM)

Font Exploit:

- You MUST NOT unplug the Xbox for more than 3-4 hours if the Xbox does not boot (e.g. installation not yet complete).

Grospolina,
I am confused by what this checklist item suggests.  If I am not finished with the installation of the exploit, why would I unplug the Xbox?  Are you saying that if the Xbox does not boot, I can still access it's hdd when I power it back up?  Does this also mean that once the exploit installation is complete I can unplug the Xbox for longer then 4 hours?
....thanks

suiside

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 04:52:00 AM »

- PBL1.3.5i: You MAY need to unplug third-party controllers when loading PBL

Just to add on to that, I was having problems booting into pbl (when it asks you to hit a to select bios) and even when it went into that it acted all choppy and the such. SO I came and read this post and knew I had no 3rd party controllers only thing different in my set up (when this started acting up) was I had my crappy action replay card plugged in @_@. So I unplugged it and every thing went fine, just a heads up for any one who encounters this.

Grospolina

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 06:43:00 AM »

joesoth,

Here's the explanation:

Normally, if your font exploit is not booting PBL or your dash properly, then you can still use a gamesave exploit (assuming you have it working already) to FTP and fix it up.  That's because you can still boot retail games.  If you unplug for a long time and the clock resets, then you will not be able to boot retail games anymore, because it will try to load the dashboard in order to set the time.  In other words, you'll be digging yourself into a bigger hole.  The only way to get out after that is to unlock, hotswap, or chip.

I've heard of several people who have tried to install the font exploit (using a gamesave exploit), couldn't get it to work, and then unplugged it overnight with the intention of working on it later.  Unfortunately, later they find out that they can't boot the gamesave anymore.

I'll edit the item to be more clear.
---

suiside,

Thanks, I didn't know that.

joesoth

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 11:57:00 AM »

Grospolina, thanks for the clarification.  Knowing this gives me more confidence in making changes to my mod (like updating PBL or trying new dashboards).

SpYdErWeB

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 04:58:00 PM »

Just FYI about my "Worst Case Scenario" experience I've had over the past two days (Great learning Experience):

My friend brings me his v1.4 XBox after hearing of my success with softmodding my v1.5.  Not realizing what the kernel 5530 meant (obviously not seeing this thread), we spent several hours of messing around with PBL trying to load a BIOS with the use of the MA save hack and FTP access.  Well after mixing up a few files hours later(PBL, FreeX, EvoX 3935) I somehow lost the ability to load the MA save hack.  It was funny because I could still load MA, but every time I clicked on "Run Linux" it wouldn't do anything but change to another MA screen.  And since the M$ Dashboard was gone I was unable to check the Save file and because I couldn't load the save I was unable to get FTP access.  So I thought to myself, since we can still load MA I'll just pack up the Xbox and try a Hot Swap at my friends in the morning.

After plugging up the Xbox the next morning at my friends, we popped in the MA disc an attempted to load it; however, to our surprise the Xbox entered a clock loop (or reboot loop) and we were unable to load MA or any other game, cd, or dvd.  At this point we thought we were screwed: we hadn't made a back up from EvoX of the HDD Key and we couldn't load up a game so that the HD would be unlocked so we could do the HotSwap.

As a last attempt we waited for the Xbox to try and Load the M$ Dashboard so it could reset the clock, at that moment we unplugged the IDE cable to do a HotSwap... and It WORKED!!... the Xbox had unlocked the HD for a split second.  We re-did the files and did a few more tries on getting PBL to load a BIOS, only hours later to discover Kernel 5530 really Really REALLY sux.  My friend went home(200+ miles away) with the ability to load FreeX and Xtool (signed the XBE); however, for some reason it was unable to backup games (maybe had to do with the fact that the D: partition was mirroring the C: partition).  In short it was almost a TOTAL FAILURE; however, it was a great learning experience...

This post has been edited by SpYdErWeB: Mar 10 2004, 03:58 AM

ember

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2004, 08:52:00 PM »

====As a last attempt we waited for the Xbox to try and Load the M$ Dashboard so it could reset the clock, at that moment we unplugged the IDE cable to do a HotSwap... and It WORKED!!... the Xbox had unlocked the HD for a split second.===

i don't understand this,
are you saying that you power on XBOX and when clock looping  you unplugged the IDE Cable? and then plug another IDE from working XBOX?
Pages: [1] 2 3