xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Keeps Locking Up...  (Read 126 times)

XplicitContent

• Archived User
Xbox Keeps Locking Up...
« on: October 28, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »

My Xbox is locking up all the time in the beginning of Xbox games and sometimes during the boot screen. Is it my bios? I dont think it is, because I had an old mobo/hdd and tried my Xecuter2.3b chip, worked on all the games/fine. Then my mobo/hdd broke, so I bought a new combo. Installed the chip, and sometimes it locks up, and locks up everytime in a game in the beginning. My bios is 4981.06 and EvoX is 3935. I am just checking to make sure it aint my bios, because it worked perfectly before with my old mobo. By the way, the new mobo/hdd I got, it plays DVD's, runs apps, everything fine, cept the Xbox games. Please help, thanx.

QuimbyDogg

• Archived User
Xbox Keeps Locking Up...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »

It could be an issue with heat and the mcpx chip.  Check and see what your Xbox temps are running at.  If they are pretty high you can buy a small heatsink to stick on the mcpx chip (right by modchip) for like $4...

If your temps are looking fine not really sure what the problem could be.

XplicitContent

• Archived User
Xbox Keeps Locking Up...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »

unsure.gif  sad.gif  dry.gif

XplicitContent

• Archived User
Xbox Keeps Locking Up...
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 08:58:00 PM »

dry.gif )

XplicitContent

• Archived User
Xbox Keeps Locking Up...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 07:07:00 AM »

Anything else I should try if this doesn't work? Because I want to do everything else before taking my mobo out, risking heavy things. Please, any other ideas will help.

QuimbyDogg

• Archived User
Xbox Keeps Locking Up...
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 08:43:00 AM »

Maybe try using a different bios.

Also you may not have an issue with heat now when you leave it off for that long, but if the mcpx chip was damaged previously from too much heat that might lead to lock ups.  

With a damaged mcpx chip you may still be able to navigate something that isnt very graphical, like a dashboard, however it may randomly lock up in some games.

I am not sure if u should have the ability to watch a dvd on a damaged mcpx chip, that may be something to look into for testing that.

I guess it could be an issue with the modchip you have itself going bad.

If you do take out your motherboard and redo the soldering, before you reconnect it try and find a friend with a solderless chip and test it out in your box real fast.  Should take you like literally 1 min to connect.  If you can run your box fine off of that then its probably more likely an issue with your chip itself.

It sounds like it could be any number of problems, none of which are very easy to trouble shoot :/  good luck

XplicitContent

• Archived User
Xbox Keeps Locking Up...
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 08:56:00 AM »

dry.gif  sad.gif