xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MS (xbox Live) "locked" My Xbox  (Read 100 times)

Snoopy007

• Archived User
MS (xbox Live) "locked" My Xbox
« on: July 16, 2004, 06:39:00 AM »

what error message do you get?

Master-Chief

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 08:40:00 AM »

Most likely Error 21. You can still play original games right? Just pop in an EvoX CD and overwrite the xboxdash.xbe with the evoxdash. The thing is, since you have an old chip and an old BIOS, Xbox Live overwrited your dash. Nowadays, we have our hacked dashboards as evoxdash.xbe and the MS Dash (Xbox Live) as xboxdash.xbe.  wink.gif

dzv

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 10:10:00 AM »

Error 5 would mean that your HDD is unlocked.  This error should only appear when the chip is disabled.  As long as your chip is enabled and booting a hacked BIOS, you should not get error 5.  Please check the error number again and let us know.

If you really are getting error 5, it would seem that your modchip is no longer working or enabled.

Ace25

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 10:41:00 AM »

QUOTE (dzv @ Jul 17 2004, 10:10 AM)
Error 5 would mean that your HDD is unlocked.  This error should only appear when the chip is disabled.  As long as your chip is enabled and booting a hacked BIOS, you should not get error 5.  Please check the error number again and let us know.

If you really are getting error 5, it would seem that your modchip is no longer working or enabled.

No no no, that is NOT correct. You gotta think OLD SCHOOL here.

I think Master-chief is exactly right.

On the old 1st gen modchips (Enigmah/Xecuter) you were required to rename xboxdash.xbe to msxboxdash.xbe and then rename evoxdash.xbe to xboxdash.xbe. Got that? Ok. So, then when someone picks a "Live" enabled feature on an old Xbox with an old Modchip, it will download the latest version of the MSDashboard/Live features. When this happens, it overwrites xboxdash.xbe (Which if you remember, on the modded box is really a renamed evoxdash.xbe) so now his Evox is toasted, and it appears his HD is not locked. So now it is trying to boot the MSDashboard, but since the HD is unlocked, it wont boot.

I think the fix is boot from an Evox boot CD(-r/w), then FTP to your xbox and do the copying and renaming of Evoxdash.xbe again. I am not 100% sure on this though as I never had anyone actually do this.. I had warned all my peeps of the day (when I was installing Xecuter 1 chips) that if they picked anything Live, it would screw up their xbox and I wouldnt fix it.. so I never did get first hand experience with this problem.

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 11:47:00 AM »

"toasting evox" and an unlocked HD have nothing to do with each other whatsoever.
you can wipe evox off your HD all you want, it doesn't change a thing about the locking state. sounds more like your friend selected "unlock HD" in evox.

Ace25

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »

QUOTE (Arakon @ Jul 17 2004, 11:47 AM)
"toasting evox" and an unlocked HD have nothing to do with each other whatsoever.
you can wipe evox off your HD all you want, it doesn't change a thing about the locking state. sounds more like your friend selected "unlock HD" in evox.

ok, again, I will say it, you have to think OLD school here.

The first gen modchips DID NOT have the capability to boot anything from C drive other than xboxdash.xbe. You could not reflash those chips with a newer bios.

So, since you had to boot only xboxdash.xbe as the boot file, and that just so happened to be the name of the MS dashboard, you had to do some renaming. If you wanted Evox as a dash, you had to name evoxdash.xbe to xboxdash.xbe and rename the MS Dashboard something else.

Where the problem comes in, is if you have a really old MS dashboard, one without the "Live" tab and you load up a game that has a "Live" option in it, then pick "Multiplayer/Live" in that game it will then execute dashupdate.xbe, which in turn would replace the xboxdash.xbe file on your C drive with a "newer" copy of the MS Dashboard, one that has the Live tab in it. Whether or not you even went online to play live is a null point, this happens before anything else.

So, now that the game/live option has just replaced your "evox" dashboard with now a MS dashboard, it is trying to boot the MS dash. This would work if his HD was locked, but appears it is not. It wouldn't have mattered before if it was locked or not with Evox as the dash, but now that its back to a MS dash for bootup, this is what happens.

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »

ok, again, I will say it, you have to think OLD school here.

I'm one of the most "old school" people there is on this board. I've been around before the enigmah was even released. trust me, I know enough about it.

the live update and the error 5 are simply unrelated. the HD is unlocked, but the live update and evox being overwritten have nothing to do with that.

Master-Chief

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 09:38:00 PM »

Ace25 is right. The old BIOS creaters didn't know about Xbox Live so they just had the hacked dash run as xboxdash.xbe  wink.gif

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 10:59:00 PM »

xtender and enigmah didn't support unlocked/replaced HDs yet.

dzv

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 11:07:00 PM »

In that case, it does sound like somebody hit the 'Unlock HDD' button.  But if this is the case, and his BIOS doesn't support unlocked HDDs, then there doesn't seem to be any way to recover from it without using a PC...  If he can't even boot a boot disc to re-lock the HDD...

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 07:04:00 AM »

or buying a decent modchip, enigmah is WAY outdated.

Master-Chief

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 08:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (Arakon @ Jul 18 2004, 12:04 PM)
or buying a decent modchip, enigmah is WAY outdated.

Very true....

Just get a cheap, flash-upgradable mod-chip (cheapmod or alladin advance).  wink.gif

sioux

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2004, 12:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (dzv @ Jul 18 2004, 08:07 AM)
In that case, it does sound like somebody hit the 'Unlock HDD' button.  But if this is the case, and his BIOS doesn't support unlocked HDDs, then there doesn't seem to be any way to recover from it without using a PC...  If he can't even boot a boot disc to re-lock the HDD...

that's all true. i can't boot anymore with the Evox boot disc. and yes, i did unlock the HDD... :X

if i knew how, i could recover with my PC easily. i'm no computer nitwit or anything. problem is, i don't think i can connect by FTP to the thing anymore. it won't boot Evox... so I don't think i can connect.

dzv

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2004, 09:03:00 PM »

Aside from getting a new chip (highly recommended), your only other option now is to Lock your HDD in your PC.  This means actually taking the HDD and putting it in your PC, and using one of the HDD Lock utils to lock the HDD.  However, in order to do this, you need to have the original HDD password.  If you have a backup of your HDD password, you can do this.  Without the password, it would be a complicated process.

sioux

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 04:02:00 AM »

i have no idea where/if i ever saw any HDD password. where can i find that? and can't I put the HDD in my PC and try and find the password that way? if I can lock it again while it's in my PC...
Pages: [1] 2