xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Few Questions About Embedding Eeproms  (Read 59 times)

Yildiz

• Archived User
A Few Questions About Embedding Eeproms
« on: May 04, 2004, 07:18:00 AM »

I'm going to flash my X2 with 4981.06 soon. BTW, Is there any practical difference between the fixed and unfixed version of 4981? Since I'm going to disable the DVD player from autolaunching default.xbe, I intend to flash my second bank with M7 in case I need to boot from a CD.
But after reading what little I could find about embedded eeproms I'm considering embedding my eeprom into the M7, just in case. The way I understand it xbtool reads my eeprom.bin file and stores the numbers found there along with the M7 in the file that I flash my X2 with. After that, the M7 bios will always read the old copy of the eeprom from the X2. I'm asking here because I don't know if this in any way changes the real eeprom when I start using the M7 bank. And if I do this should I use the old eeprom.bin from when my Xbox was first modded, or the EEPROMBackup.bin that ConfigMagic Final made after it locked my new HDD? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Renthal

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 12:11:00 PM »

Based on what you've stated, your eeprom hasn't changed at all. The configmagic backup will be the same as the original backup you made. You should use the same eeprom that's on your motherboard, but it's not required. If you're hard drive is locked however, and you boot with a different embed eeprom, you'll get an error 6. It won't change the eeprom on the motherboard.

Yildiz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 02:56:00 PM »

Thanks for the help, Renthal. Guess I'll embed my M7 now, since there doesn't seem to be any disadvantages to doing so :).

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 05:36:00 AM »

Thanks for the help, Renthal. Guess I'll embed my M7 now, since there doesn't seem to be any disadvantages to doing so
Well, booting might have a little screen flicker.  The disadvantage, is that you can't alter your eeprom as easily becase even if you reflash your eeprom it will still boot using the one in the bios.  Eeprom apps will still see the chip, and write to it, and I'm assuming live will ban the eeprom on chip if they run your acct.