xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ok, Quick Question Regarding Second Bios On X2.2l  (Read 22 times)

Icelight

• Archived User
Ok, Quick Question Regarding Second Bios On X2.2l
« on: February 14, 2004, 06:14:00 PM »

Ok, I currently have X4977 flashed to the FIRST and SECOND slots of the mod-chip (X2.2 Lite), slots refer to the four shown in the X2 Bios Manager. Thus, I am taking up 512k out of 1024k.

Now, I want to add a second BIOS, but not replace the first one.

In the X2 Bios Manager, do I just copy the BIOS that I want (an editted with XBTool X 4981) to the last two banks/slots as shown in X2BM? Do I save the BIOS as a 256k image, or a 512k image?

I just want to make sure that the new BIOS will be on bank 2 of the chip, and I will still have the first on intact, incase it doesn't work properly.

Also, if you don't mind answering this in the topic as well, how do I go about flashing this through EvoX, and what settings do I use on my modchip. I found it weird that I had to set the settings on the chip to [BANK 2] when I flashed the BIOS to bank 1. Do I still leave it on the bank 2 setting to flash the BIOS to Bank 2? Do those bank settings on the mod-chip really make a difference when flashing, or is it all done through the BIOS Manager as to where the BIOS will be flashed?

Thanks in advance!

Icelight

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »

Forgot to mention on other thing.

If I boot up the Xbox with BANK 2 enabled, then it boots to Cromwell Flash. Can I just flash it through that using a Bios saved in the LAST TWO slots in the X2BM, to make it flash to the second bank?

Icelight

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »

I've tried using the X2 Bios Manager, but it won't let me save the BIOS if I fill up the last two slots ...

How can I flash it to bank 2 and ONLY bank 2?!

Lugnut

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »

get a backup copy of your original bios on the first two banks by using evox or any other means, load it into bios manager, then add what you want to the third and 4th bank,  save the 1 meg image and flash that,

It will reflash the first two banks but since you got a copy of the bios your just reflashing it with the same thing, and then it will flash the other two banks for you also.

Icelight

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 08:46:00 PM »

So, basically:

Slot 1 - Old BIOS
Slot 2 - Old BIOS (copy)
Slot 3 - New BIOS
Slot 4 - New BIOS (copy)

Then could I not just use Cromwell to flash it again? Or would EvoX be a better choice? And when I'm flashing this one fully, do I have the chip set to Bank 1 or 2?

Lugnut

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 07:07:00 AM »

i have only had an xecuter 2.0 and whenever i flashed it didnt matter what bank i had it on, the whole chip got reprogrammed. but most of the time it was on bank 1

Icelight

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »

biggrin.gif
BTW: Should I make the BIOS image 512k for each BIOS, or leave them at 256k and copy them to fill up each bank?

Lugnut

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 10:42:00 AM »

each bank in the bios manager should have a 256k bios loaded to it, you have a 1 meg bios chip then you load all 4 banks  256x4 = 1meg

Icelight

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

The first time I got my chip I didn't want to screw around with anything, and just install a clean BIOS. Now I want to make a nice custom colour boot, so I wanted to make sure I was doing everything right since I only used bank 1, instead of both banks, as many tutorials suggest (that way, if the flash went bad I would have still had a bank with cromwell on it).

Lugnut

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »

personally, what i think most people should do is,

if you have a 1.0 to 1.3 box, you should download the cromwell-patched bios,  this is a bios that allows you to restore your eeprom if you screw it up or it gets corrupt or erased.

download your eeprom from your backup folder after you use backup utility in evox,

patch the cromwell bios with your backed up eeprom, go to bios manager and fill up the first two slots with whatever bios you want to use normally, and the 3rd and 4th slot fill it up with the patched cromwell bios,

now if you ever erase your eeprom or screw up video modes or something you simply switch to the patched cromwell bios, it will reflash your eeprom chip back to original status, shut off the machine switch back to your normal bios and your back in business.

just do a search on "cromwell-patched" on the forum and you will find the link to get the file and directions on how to patch your eeprom.bin to it.