xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Exploits In Japan - Ntsc/j Console/games  (Read 75 times)

Enzomatrx

• Archived User
Exploits In Japan - Ntsc/j Console/games
« on: September 06, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »

I'm currently in Japan attempting a softmod on a friend's NTSC-J console.  I have a NSTC-J with modchip, so I'm able to get the gamesaves to a memory card and whatnot.

The thing is, we found out the fact that NTSC-J MechAssault is not exploitable, since when you try to run the hacked gamesave (any exploit) it just freezes.

I'm wondering then if anyone has had success with other gamesave exploits using NTSC-J versions of the games?

I've read and searched about the NTSC-U MechAssault being "Region free" so technically I could import that (have a friend send an old copy over) and use that in theory, but I'm just curious if there are any NTSC-J games to keep an eye out for in all the used game shops all over my area?

Splinter Cell J?
007 J?  (did that even come out here, i forget)

I'm not in a hotswap mood; hoping more for a memory card exploit so I can run around and just mod a bunch of other peoples' boxes.

Thanks!

Setansuci

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »

Hey i managed to do a UDE using the ldots package with an NTSC/J Mechassault. There were no problems whatsoever. However, realise there might be a problem if you want to fo a UDE2 mod using his package. Can't seem to run the installer via telnet after changing the region.

Enzomatrx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 11:01:00 PM »

QUOTE (Setansuci @ Sep 7 2004, 01:34 PM)
Hey i managed to do a UDE using the ldots package with an NTSC/J Mechassault. There were no problems whatsoever. However, realise there might be a problem if you want to fo a UDE2 mod using his package. Can't seem to run the installer via telnet after changing the region.

which ldots package did you use?

i've followed all the steps and have the save on the friend's XBox... but whenever I do the load game it just freezes... no screen flash/switch to linux thing/evox/whatever.

eh.

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 11:08:00 PM »

@Enzomatrx:
(i) the NTSC-U MechAssault is not "Region free" - it and the PAL version are interchangable but neither will boot if the region's JAPAN;
(ii) freezing probably means it is exploiting but there's a resource conflict (such as a memory clash) - changing the language setting might work around that (assuming the Xbox-J dashboard has that feature);
(iii) As per Setansuci, UDE it if you can (the UDE1 bootstrap's global) eh.

Enzomatrx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 12:01:00 AM »

QUOTE (eh. @ Sep 7 2004, 02:08 PM)
(ii) freezing probably means it is exploiting but there's a resource conflict (such as a memory clash) - changing the language setting might work around that (assuming the Xbox-J dashboard has that feature);
(iii) As per Setansuci, UDE it if you can (the UDE1 bootstrap's global) eh.

the conflict begs something interesting.. in the XBox dash of the J console I've shanged the default language to english... i wonder if it's something as simple as keeping it at the default that matters?
to the ones who have modded a ntsc-j with MA, did you change the default language at all?

also, the UDE package i've found at the usual places is either a gzip named updatefonts7.tar.bz2 or a "package" that contains things you're supposed to do after executing a exploit...

i appreciate the help so far... it feels like it should work, but I found another thread here started a while ago concerning freezing with  MA.

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 12:58:00 AM »

I don't know what NTSC-J MechAssault you have, but mine which is made in Singapore is exploitable. I can launch the game save hack without any problem.

In fact, this is the only game I find in my area that is exploitable because there is no SC exploit(only PAL or NTSC) for NTSC-J SC(which by itself is already hard to find). The game 007 AUF is even harder to find, if there is ever such a beast for NTSC-J.

Enzomatrx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 01:19:00 AM »

did you change the dash's language from japanese before exploiting anything?

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 01:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (Enzomatrx @ Sep 7 2004, 08:19 AM)
did you change the dash's language from japanese before exploiting anything?

I am in Hong Kong so the default language is Traditional Chinese and I didn't change anything.

Enzomatrx

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 02:16:00 AM »

well we just tried it with the menus in japanese and it still locked up at that screen.
is that the sign of the game being protected?

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 02:36:00 AM »

check the DVD inner rim(the shiny side), there is some mark of MSxxxx1L. As far as I am told, NTSC-J MechAssault has never been fixed for this problem.

Enzomatrx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 04:49:00 AM »

i think we're going to give up and go modchip.... this just won't work
the best we were able to do is if we started a normal mission then quit back, when we would run the "run Linux" save the screen would begin strobing... just flashing with the MA background still there and all...

that was the most "progress" we made, but no combo of languages, cables being plugged in, or anything seemed to help

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 05:12:00 AM »

pick whatever solution that you feel most comfortable :-)

I have given as much help as I can at this stage.

However, I have to make it very clear to other readers that MA NTSC-J should work for the game exploit(I use the same game save on a NTSC Xbox when I was in Canada). I have no idea why your's don't work as there can be lots of things went wrong in the process(bad game save etc.).

KidOtaku

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2004, 01:08:00 AM »

Enzomatrx, did you finally manage to exploit your Jap xbox?

I'm having the same problem as you; not having a modded xbox on hand (and realizing that 007 was never released here in Japan, so the savegame I brought from canada was useless), I went through the process of sending the memcard back to a friend in Canada and have it sent back to me with the MechAssault game on, only to find, to my total dismay, that the damn game just freezes!

Anyway, did you finally give up and go modchip?

Thanks a lot!

Tachikoma

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 07:36:00 AM »

Hi , i also in japan with the same problem screen freeze, do you know if SC J or 007 J could do the stuff ?