xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Bad Bios  (Read 59 times)

Strud1512

• Archived User
Bad Bios
« on: January 19, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »

wink.gif  )
In future, it is better to either flash only 1 bank (512kb) or make a 1MB bios that contains your new (edited) bios and one that you know works. That way you can always boot from the 2nd bank.

NghtShd

• Archived User
Bad Bios
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 05:46:00 PM »

QUOTE (mr haze @ Jan 19 2004, 05:10 PM)
i did a very stupid move and tried to modify a bios with xbtool..(first time) obviously i made a bad bios and now my xbox boots up and its black!!!!!(only with the chip on)it works fine with the chip off.... can i just get the x2 lite programer and reflash my chip????

This should never happen (and if it really was a bad BIOS I need to fix it). Which BIOS were you editing and which Xbox version do you have? Also, could it have been a bad flash and not a bad BIOS?

mr haze

• Archived User
Bad Bios
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 07:19:00 PM »

i think it was 4977..1.1 xbox ...guess the bios was not bad..i made it bad with xbtool..sorry for the wording

NghtShd

• Archived User
Bad Bios
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (mr haze @ Jan 20 2004, 12:19 AM)
i think it was 4977..1.1 xbox ...guess the bios was not bad..i made it bad with xbtool..sorry for the wording

The 4977 patcher hasn't changed in a long time and seems to be bug free. If you were able to make a BIOS which comes up with just a black screen, assuming you didn't do something funky with the config file, then that would be a bug. I'd like to know what really happened. If you'd care to help me track it down you can  email me @ [email protected].

If not, I guess we can assume it was a bad flash and not a bad BIOS, because you're the first to report such a thing with any XBtool using that patch code.

skorchir

• Archived User
Bad Bios
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 08:48:00 PM »

perhaps you turned on BFM?

NghtShd

• Archived User
Bad Bios
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 09:51:00 PM »

Yeah, setting the BFM flag (which I didn't think of) may very well have caused that.