xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Kernel SOURCES Fully Available !  (Read 101 times)

jokk

• Archived User
Kernel SOURCES Fully Available !
« on: January 01, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »

We'll all know all coders are not equal on this scene, sharing those sources would brings some great improvement and freedom to the scene !

jokk

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »

and only 10 ppl know what that mean....

82ross

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »

You started this with msdash source aswell, what are you going on about?

If only 10 people know what you mean what are you doing posting it on a public forum?

People may have their own code and reversed a lot of the ms kernel but i doubt they have got hold of the origional source.

They shouldnt release their own code, they shouldnt release reversed code and if they did have it they shouldnt release copyrighted ms code. There isnt much need for it, anyone good enough to code kernels dont need that much help.

jokk

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 04:50:00 PM »

Well all bios except the cromwell are based on m$ kernel so based on copyrighted ms code.....

You don't wanna see samba support in bios ? or kb working in game ?

And yes few ppl have the full kernel srcs from M$ :)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »

If the sources are available to a few in the 'underground' - then by all means, they should be made available to developers. At the very least made available to BIOS, dashboard and similar utility app developers.

This relates to the same issue I have with the developers of Evo-X, who have shared only a small amount of the info they are privvy to that isn't available in the XDKs and other published sources.

I also think that if these sources do exist, they should be handled carefully, too... they should not be merely dumped on the net, but made available to those with a need-to-know on an educational basis.

Ces2k3

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »

amen to that, he right.

alg5

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »

crazy that the source code become more & more available to people...
but i find it a good idea...hope it will be public one day...

BeeWarloc

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 11:13:00 PM »

This is probably crazy talk :jester:, but what about the possibility of starting a opensource bios clone project?

Or even better(?), use a stripped down linux kernel and somehow create bindings to the ms xbox kernel calls..

I probably need to wake up soon. .   :)  

WaRnINg|

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 06:50:00 AM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Jan 5 2004, 03:41 PM)
If the sources are available to a few in the 'underground' - then by all means, they should be made available to developers. At the very least made available to BIOS, dashboard and similar utility app developers.

This relates to the same issue I have with the developers of Evo-X, who have shared only a small amount of the info they are privvy to that isn't available in the XDKs and other published sources.

I also think that if these sources do exist, they should be handled carefully, too... they should not be merely dumped on the net, but made available to those with a need-to-know on an educational basis.

I agree

GomerPyle

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »

uh oh what did I start :lol:

Absoluteley he shouldnt

This post has been edited by GomerPyle: Feb 2 2004, 01:01 AM

stealth

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 04:17:00 AM »

There is a poll option missing... "No, cause it's a bad idea".

I'd vote for that one.

This topic is obviously illegal anyway, and should be removed from the forums.

This post has been edited by stealth: Feb 2 2004, 12:20 PM

clogicgmather

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 01:42:00 PM »

can i just ask, when you say kernal source you mean in C right? you can get the extract the xbox kernal from the xdk in asm, i know as ive got a copy sitting on my desktop. Im fairly certain i got the informatiion on what to do from a forum, the file is roughly 12mb (65.000 odd pages of assembler)
Please if im in anyway mistaken please dont flame me,

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 01:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (clogicgmather @ Feb 2 2004, 06:35 PM)
can i just ask, when you say kernal source you mean in C right? you can get the extract the xbox kernal from the xdk in asm, i know as ive got a copy sitting on my desktop. Im fairly certain i got the informatiion on what to do from a forum, the file is roughly 12mb (65.000 odd pages of assembler)
Please if im in anyway mistaken please dont flame me,

c/c++, yes.

Morien

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »

jokk:
Weren't you the one who posted numerous times in the old 'When is Surreal 64 coming out' thread telling Iriez to share the sources?
Didn't he say that a) he didn't have them and b ) if he did he wouldn't share them because people such as yourself were putting high attention on him having and potentially releasing MS source code?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that he has them, but let's think about this. MS is a big BIG company. It's owner is a very rich man. With money comes power. As such, they DO have the ability to track people down over the internet and completley rape them in court. Now where's the benefit for Iriez to release the sources? Sure it may help the scene (well, not as much as 2 years ago), however I don't think it wise to release MS owned source code, especially when so much attention is being put on who specifically is releasing it.
C'mon, show some sense. And stop instigating will ya.

Morien

This post has been edited by Morien: Feb 7 2004, 05:17 AM

MaTiAz

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 11:28:00 PM »

IMHO it would be nice if someone could share the sources. But I don't think that
Iriez has them(he was just the one who said that Xecuter should share the sources).

It would be cool if everyone could have their own bioses(like MaTiAz 5233.04 no-IGR).