xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Progressive Xbox Logo For Bios?  (Read 125 times)

Virtucon

• Archived User
Progressive Xbox Logo For Bios?
« on: January 08, 2004, 07:14:00 PM »

Has anyone found this out yet?  I would think it is a hex code like dvdx and the msdash.

Virtucon

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »

311 views and no one knows? bump

Jeneral

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 07:58:00 AM »

I don't think that would be a good idea. At some point, whether troubleshooting or visiting a friend, you will need to use a different video pack. Having a progressive scan logo may cause problems when booting.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 08:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (Jeneral @ Jan 14 2004, 11:51 AM)
I don't think that would be a good idea. At some point, whether troubleshooting or visiting a friend, you will need to use a different video pack. Having a progressive scan logo may cause problems when booting.

Couple of things here... patching the BIOS for Progressive Scan might be possible, and if done, the issue of booting to a valid logo could be handled with any multi-BIOS mod chip.

It might even be possible to handle the situation where the vidoe mode is selected based on the video pack. This should be possible.

This means the animation program (it's really a DirectX app, embedded in the BIOS) would have to be patched, possibly to a n additional bit of code.

The only difference between 480p and 480i is the way the video chip is set up - nothing needs to change in the app.

Virtucon

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 08:34:00 PM »

There was a hex edit for the msdash that allowed it to be flexible.  If the HD pack was in the box it would be in 480p, if there is any other pack in the box it will be displayed in 480i

That is what I would like to do make my bios choose base on what output pack is hooked into my xbox.

This post has been edited by Virtucon: Jan 22 2004, 12:29 PM

Virtucon

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »

I still haven't found this out has any one else?

Dreamcazman

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »

Give it time, if it is possible, the guys in the know will enable it in future bios's.

What's the big deal anyway, who sits there and watches the boot animation?  wink.gif

donrogelio

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »

Hmmm animation????

How much work would it be to change the animation.  Like for instance, instead of a weird blob in a tube before the X logo, can i take a video clip of similar size and sound of lets say an old guy taking a foot ball in the balls??  

I'm not very familiar with all the work involved in this but i've been playing with a hex editor.  

Could be as simple as finding the animation from begining to end, pack up that part of the code, saving it in the right format, then editing it.

right..... :blink:

This post has been edited by donrogelio: Feb 2 2004, 05:27 AM

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 04:31:00 AM »

The standard hex edits do not work - I've tried on multiple occasions.  I've spoken to Nghtshd about it and he is aware of the 480i/p issue.  I'm not entirely convinced it could be setup to check the video settings in the dash but that would be ideal.  

This actually causes a lot of frustration and issues for people with HDTV and even worse - with an HDTV where the component inputs do not accept a 480i signal.

Maybe someone will look into it and come up with a breakthrough.  I don't know enough to troubleshoot any further but would be more than willing to lend support or testing to someone who does.

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 04:55:00 AM »

QUOTE (donrogelio @ Feb 2 2004, 02:19 AM)
Hmmm animation????

How much work would it be to change the animation.  Like for instance, instead of a weird blob in a tube before the X logo, can i take a video clip of similar size and sound of lets say an old guy taking a foot ball in the balls??  

I'm not very familiar with all the work involved in this but i've been playing with a hex editor.  

Could be as simple as finding the animation from begining to end, pack up that part of the code, saving it in the right format, then editing it.

right..... blink.gif

GomerPyle

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »

The startup animation IS stored in the bios in the 256KBytes of flash rom, along with all the drivers and the kernel (23KBytes)

The animation uses directx raw calls to the hardware for both sound and video (since the animation starts before the kernel is loaded) which is why you can't just replace it with a video (since there are no drivers in place at this time)

For it to be modified you would have to be able to re program these native hardware calls.

Good luck changing it cause its not hapening anytime soon! I am almost 100 percent sure you cannot make it do more then 480i. No one has even got past modifying it let alone change the resolution!

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 11:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (GomerPyle @ Feb 2 2004, 02:24 PM)
The startup animation IS stored in the bios in the 256KBytes of flash rom, along with all the drivers and the kernel (23KBytes)

The animation uses directx raw calls to the hardware for both sound and video (since the animation starts before the kernel is loaded) which is why you can't just replace it with a video (since there are no drivers in place at this time)

For it to be modified you would have to be able to re program these native hardware calls.

Good luck changing it cause its not hapening anytime soon! I am almost 100 percent sure you cannot make it do more then 480i. No one has even got past modifying it let alone change the resolution!

That's a differnet issue, though.

In this case, the discussion is toward converting the video mode from 480i to 480p. No need to touch the animation at all, since it is RENDERED AT 640x480 IN EITHER CASE.

In the simplest manner, you could patch the BIOS at the point that it initializes the video mode and change the value, which is likely a bit in the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS structure's .Flags member.

In a more perfect world, you would jump from that location, check the type of A/V cable plugged in, and use the appropriate mode to set the flag with a little extra code, then jump back....

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »

Like I said before - I am willing to help test.  If anybody needs such a service PM me.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »

When pin 11 in desoldered and attached to pin 9, and accompanied with the vga bios, the beggining xbox blob and logo are in progressive scan (480p).  If that helps at all?

bennynihon

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 08:32:00 PM »

My xbox is connected to the progressive component inputs of my HDTV, and the opening Xbox logo from the BIOS is shown interlaced.  Is there anyway to hexedit the BIOS files to make the logo progressive scan?  thanx.
Pages: [1] 2