xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crimson Skies And X2 Bioses  (Read 139 times)

Xeero

• Archived User
Crimson Skies And X2 Bioses
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2003, 12:04:00 PM »

Jsmith, I had posted before, but I'll say it again.

This game works fine for all users that use any X2 or EvoX BIOS stored on a mod chip or TSOP.  I'm not telling you to take either route, I'm just saying that it evidence enough for me to confidently say the problem is not with the BIOS.  I genuinely think the problem is with the way the BIOSes are patched to be bootable from media, and as such there is nothing for the BIOS developers to correct.  I don't use exploits, PBL, or BFM BIOS releases at all, so tell me...are there multiple ways to make a BIOS BFM?  Is Xbtool the conventional way?  Is it possible to manually patch it?  I think that's an area that will have larger payoffs in this case.

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2003, 12:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (GomerPyle @ Nov 21 2003, 03:45 PM)
makes no sense to go through all this for just 1 game especially.  If it was a buttload of games that has an issue

I agree.  I don't personally care about Crimson Skies or Enter the Matrix.  What I'm nervous about is that MS will investigate what it is about CS that caused this bug to occur.  They would then proceed to do that in all new games as a protection scheme.

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2003, 12:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (Xeero @ Nov 21 2003, 04:04 PM)
Jsmith, I had posted before, but I'll say it again.

This game works fine for all users that use any X2 or EvoX BIOS stored on a mod chip or TSOP.  I'm not telling you to take either route, I'm just saying that it evidence enough for me to confidently say the problem is not with the BIOS.  I genuinely think the problem is with the way the BIOSes are patched to be bootable from media, and as such there is nothing for the BIOS developers to correct.  I don't use exploits, PBL, or BFM BIOS releases at all, so tell me...are there multiple ways to make a BIOS BFM?  Is Xbtool the conventional way?  Is it possible to manually patch it?  I think that's an area that will have larger payoffs in this case.

I think you're probably right Xeero.  I agree with you.  I think it does have to do with BFM bios, or the patching of BFM, or maybe with PBL.

All I was getting at is that I think the trick to solving the problem is to find out what Evox BFM is doing differently on load up from what X2 BFM is doing then (since Evox BFM can load the game and play the first board).

As far as I'm aware of, XBTool is the only way to patch a bios to make it BFM...however of course if XBTool can do, then it can be done manually as well.

My oppion is that most probably the bug is in the BFM code.  Who wrote that?  Is it open source?  Can we take a look at it?  If not, can we get the developers to take a look at it?
Pages: 1 [2]