xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crimson Skies And X2 Bioses  (Read 140 times)

ub312g0d

• Archived User
Crimson Skies And X2 Bioses
« on: November 17, 2003, 02:13:00 PM »

Hey there. ive been using BFM x2 bioses for quite some time now, and up until now i havent had problems with games.

Crimson skies doesnt seem to work off the HD or DVD drive when im using an x2 bios, when i try the m7 bios everything is as it should be.
Thing is, m7 doesnt have IGR and it cant be made into a BFM by xbtool. which is a problem, because i dont own a modchip myself, and i would like to give my friend his back.

I upgraded to the new 4979.06 x2 bios hoping they would have fixed this problem, but no luck. I realize the m7 bios comes in a BFM form but i have to patch it so that i can use my 250gb drive, so im out of luck there.

Has anyone figured out why crimson skies doesnt work? and if so, is there a solution?

GeneralError

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 03:22:00 PM »

hmm... that's odd.  Because crimson skies runs fine under my x2 4976.02 bios.  I did have a little trouble ripping the disc, I had to do it twice before I got it to run.  But now it works great, maybe try re-installing it.

STARKES

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 04:54:00 PM »

that was actually me up there on ubergod's account. bastard left it logged in on my comp again smile.gif
but anyway, i havent tried all the x2s, but with all the ones ive seen i get the same problem. it loads the game, and then the game starts doing its thing, loading up the menus and whatever it does. Then it just freezes flat out. After about 3 weeks ago and until the new mxm came out, i couldnt use x2 bioses because i had a 250gb drive that was partitioned and set up so that the remaining space would be on the F drive, and there was a bug with x2 bioses and mxm, which i use. so i guess i could try your bios after patching with LBA48. Thanks though, its good to know theres one that works.

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 06:15:00 PM »

X2 BFM and Phoenix Bios Loader can't play Crimson Skies.  Wish it could, but it can't.  There's no fix yet.  I kinda wish they would just post it on the Xbox-Scene home page to gain some attention to it so either the Phoenix Bios Loader developers, or the X2 developers, or the BFM developers would address it already.

Enter the Matrix doesn't play either.

STARKES

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 06:42:00 PM »

i noticed the problem with enter the matrix a while ago. Does it work with something like the m7 bios? if so, i still need to get my hands on a BFM that has LBA48 support, and since xbtool doesnt work for making BFMs of the m7 bios, im screwed.

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 02:28:00 AM »

Since it plays fine using an X2 BIOS on a mod chip, I'd say there's no problem with the BIOS.  There's probably an issue with the way Xbtool patches it to be BFM.  Maybe a newer version of Xbtool fixes this, or if not then perhaps NightShd can shed some light on it.

Ubergeek

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 04:19:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xeero @ Nov 18 2003, 12:28 PM)
Since it plays fine using an X2 BIOS on a mod chip, I'd say there's no problem with the BIOS.

absolutley correct

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 09:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (GomerPyle @ Nov 19 2003, 11:36 PM)
do those guys even make theses bioses so that they can be bootable from media?

I dont think so! get a chip if you expect any game to work right!

Thanks for the friendly and uninformed response.

Anyone who has an older modchip, which isn't flashable (like myself) rely on Phoenix Bios Loader and Boot From Media Bios in order to use the new bios.

So, I've taken your advice.  I've gotten a modchip, but the game still doesn't work right, so let's work on a solution and keep responses like yours out of these threads.

Zedek

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 03:25:00 AM »

Hmm, I'm using X2 4977 and I have no problems with Crimson Skies....course, I have my TSOP flashed with it wink.gif

Ubergeek

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 03:58:00 AM »

you have 3 options

1) Buy a new up to date mod

2) Flash your TSOP

3) Buy the game

end of conversation really.

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 01:36:00 PM »

Ummm wrong.  Theres 4 options.

4) Figure out what's wrong and fix the problem.

You don't have to contribute, but other people can.

After that, the conversation will be over.

daviefresh1775

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2003, 10:56:00 AM »

QUOTE (GomerPyle @ Nov 20 2003, 05:36 AM)
do those guys even make theses bioses so that they can be bootable from media?

I dont think so! get a chip if you expect any game to work right!

or flash your tsop

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2003, 11:03:00 AM »

From everything I've read on xbox-scene forums, Tsops can not be flashed once you have an Xecutor 1 installed, or a modchip installed that is the from the same generation as Xecutor 1.

Everyone seems to assume that PBL is only good for the exploits.  It's not.  It's good for other people too.  People like myself that have a non-flashable modchip installed.  (By the way....I waited and only bought the Xecutor 1 because it was originally advertised as being flashable).

So, lets drop these pointless posts that tell people to flash their tsops or get a modchip.  They're solving nothing.

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2003, 11:08:00 AM »

QUOTE (gluping @ Nov 21 2003, 01:28 AM)
Uhm, question: Does Crimson Skies work at all for us PBL users?
I can play the 1. level, but when the game loads level 2, it freezes.

I've tried with the following BFM bios:
PBL 1.3.5i + EvoX 3921 Dash + Evox M7 Bios / Evox D6 EF / X2 4977 / X2 4979.06

I deleted the savegame file and the files under e:cache before I booted with the different bioses and loaded CS.

It will do that with some of the Evox bioses.  With the X2 bioses, it ussually always freezes on load-up.  I think the key to solving the problem is finding out the difference between what the two bioses are doing on startup.  Like, why is it that Evox can play level 1, but X2 can't?  Unfortunately, as far as I know, both bioses are closed source, and the developers don't seem to be addressing it (at least the X2 developers don't seem to be).

In the end, since their seems to be no support from the developers, the only solution may be to start a new project which creates a new bios which is open source.  It would really stink to have to reinvent the wheel though.

My real hope though is that the bug lies in PBL since that is open source.  Once I'm done with school (mid december or so), I'll start going through the code and see if I can find anything.

Does anyone know who created the BFM patches since the bug might lie in there too?

Sailorgoon

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2003, 11:52:00 AM »

QUOTE (Zedek @ Nov 20 2003, 01:25 PM)
Hmm, I'm using X2 4977 and I have no problems with Crimson Skies....course, I have my TSOP flashed with it wink.gif

Odd.  I have 4977 on my flashed TSOP, and I can't even get the game to start off the HDD.  Are you playing off OEM DVD or hard drive?
Pages: [1] 2