xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bigger Hdd No Stress No Modchip(tutorial)  (Read 177 times)

sgr215

• Archived User
Bigger Hdd No Stress No Modchip(tutorial)
« on: April 10, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »

UPDATE: If you see anything wrong with this tutorial please provide the information here. Don't talk shit or say it's not a good tutorial. I wrote this for personal use and only shared it because I thought it might be useful to others. In other words, got a problem? GO FUCK YOURSELF.

Disclaimer: This is for educational purposes only and if you attempt this and mess up your xbox its your own fault.

First off, if you are using an old desktop to do this on be sure to get the most up to date BIOS. I spent well over 5 hours banging my head against the wall wondering why my computer froze all my drives. Older BIOS's won't lock a HD.

If you are unfamiliar with how to install a hard drive into your computer its pretty damn easy. Heres a detailed tutorial with pictures on how: http://www.mysuperpc.com/hdu/jumper_pins.shtml

What you need: Signed_Phoenix_Bios_Loader_V1.3.rar
              LiveInfo
              Norton Ghost (To clone disk)
              UnlockX
              EvolutionX
              Some of these files are at the usual places

1. Backup everything on your xbox to your PC to be safe. You should have already done this by now.

2. In my expirence it is a wise idea to install the 007/Mech exploit with Phoenix Bios Loader first. This way once you clone the new HD it will already have PBL on it and be easier to make xbox detect the extra space. A tutorial on this is located at http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/007-ma-phoenix-loader.php

Please note: installing PBL to the E drive will not work in my expirence. I spent well over 2 hours trying to get PBL to work until I suddenly realized it only works on C. LOL

3. Go into EVOX and goto System Utils -> Backup. Once its done backing up FTP into your xbox and download the folder entitled C:\Backup to your PC.

4. Goto Backup folder and print out hddinfo.txt

5. Load Norton Ghost and create a boot disk

6. Add unlockX to the norton boot disk

7. Turn off XBOX, unplug all cables and be sure there is no CD in the CDRom drive. Moving your xbox with a cd in the drive can cause it to become jammed and you're basically screwed if that happens.

8. Now you need to remove the xbox HD. Please review this tutorial http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/open1.php. I would have liked to place a 25MB video on how to remove the xbox HD and put it back in safely but I don't have anywhere to host it. If anyone does, please contact me and i'll post a link to it.

9. Open up your PC and remove the pc's HD. Connect the orginal xbox hd as Primary Master. Connect the NEW xbox hd as primary slave.

10. Insert boot disk into PC and boot up. Exit out of Norton Ghost once it loads. Now type A:\unlockx. You should see a screen showing your two drives. Select the orginal xbox hd and unlock it using the HDD Key from the hddinfo.txt you printed out. Do not include the : in it and no need to add the 0's at the end. It should look something like this h07327ag204a12cv883r99a103124442669d74hh. Your orginal xbox hard drive should now be unlocked. Turn off your PC and boot it up again with boot disk in the drive.

11. Once you are in norton ghost quit out of it into dos

12. At the dos prompt type ghost /ir. When Ghost has loaded this time, open the menu and go to “Disk” and then “to Disk”.

13. Select the orginal xbox hd as source (if its set to master it will be on top) and select the new xbox hd as destination.

13. Now shut off your PC and disconnect all wires and remove the orginal xbox hd from PC. Now replace your PC's HD into primary master and leave the new xbox HD as primary slave.

14. Boot into windows and run LiveInfo. Select the new xbox hd from the drop down menu. If its primary slave it should be Physical Drive 1. Now click "Load Eeprom" and load the file entitled eeprom.bin from the xbox backup folder you downloaded.

15. Get the calculated password for the HD on LiveInfo. Write it down or print it out. BE SURE ITS CORRECT!

16.Now shutdown and insert norton boot disk into drive and boot up. Exit out of norton ghost once it loads. Type A:\unlockx. Unlockx should load. Now lock the new xbox hard drive with the calculated password you wrote/printed from LiveInfo. It is VERY important you enter this correct.

(optional) You may want to also re-lock your orginal xbox hard drive with the hddinfo.txt HDD Key you printed out and use it for a backup HD if your new xbox HD messes up.

17.Now shutdown your PC and disconnect the new xbox hard drive from the PC. Place it into the xbox, connect the IDE cable and power cable and screws. Again view http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/open1.php for more info.

18. Once the xbox is assembled plug it in and boot it up. If all is good PBL will load and then Evox. You may notice a couple problems. First, you need to format F to take advantage of the new space.See http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/formatf.php for more info.

Trouble Shooting

Problem: My xbox's C drive is saying I have zero space free.
Solution: Be sure you still have all the backup files on your PC from the xbox and then format C via raw FTP commands. See http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/hdd-ftp.php for more info. While still logged into FTP check C again. You will now be able to write to C. Now upload the backed up files from C to the xbox.

XBOX PARTITION INFORMATION
Partition 1 = E
Partition 2 = C
Partition 6 = F

Problem: I got the service is needed screen
Solution: You most likely locked the new xbox HD with the wrong calculated password or you misstyped it. Check the boot up disk for a text which should show you the key you used.

Problem: F still shows zero space free after I formatted and rebooted.
Solution: You most likely don't have Phoenix Bios Loader installed and just have Evox. Phoenix Bios Loader MUST be installed!

Problem: Unlockx claims my HD can't be locked
Solution: Check out http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=statistics for the TOP 10 lockable harddrives. Some hard drives can't lock.

Problem: I followed the tutorial and messed up my xbox and now i'm going to sue you.
Solution: Get a gun, load it and suck on barrel. Pull trigger.

This post has been edited by sgr215: Jul 24 2004, 06:55 AM

poldoman

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:24:00 PM »

this tutorial work with the soft modded xbox ? I have a audio exploit, I have done the mod with the action replay, but I want a bigger hard disk ! can I use this guide ?

big_pimping25

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »

no stress my ass!

Tsjibbe

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 01:26:00 AM »

It's a good tutorial for easy upgrading.

If mrbigpimping is too stressed, maybe he shouldn't mod his xbox himself. Or get some valium/sex/weed/whatever..........

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »

this tutorial is not updated and is not all xbox version friendly. using ldot's xboxhdm sure is a lot easier than spend half an hour trying to read what's been written here. I'm sure the basics are all correct and it might work on some xboxes but it's surely not a complete and updated tutorial and is certainly not usefull for all xbox owners.

Musashi

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 10:14:00 AM »

this tutorial is not updated and is not all xbox version friendly. using ldot's xboxhdm sure is a lot easier than spend half an hour trying to read what's been written here. I'm sure the basics are all correct and it might work on some xboxes but it's surely not a complete and updated tutorial and is certainly not usefull for all xbox owners.

AGREED

sgr215

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 11:46:00 PM »

Odd.. it worked successfuly for me on 1.0, 1.1 and 1.3. It also isn't stressful unless you have an IQ below 95.  wink.gif

This post has been edited by sgr215: Jul 24 2004, 06:47 AM

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 11:57:00 PM »

good for you Einstein. I always though there were more xbox versions than just 1.0, 1.1 and 1.3.......odd. Anyway the basics do seem right as I have said before but there is a lot of outdated stuff in there.

This post has been edited by krayzie: Jul 24 2004, 06:58 AM

sgr215

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 02:18:00 AM »

Part of the problem with these tutorials is people always talk shit about them but yet fail to write their own. Currently Xbox-Scene consists of a bunch of tutorials that all miss things. Most people have to look at five tutorials just to do a simple modification. This tutorial explains everything in simple terms for even the newbie who doesn't know anything can do. Sure PBL 1.3 is out of date but that just means you replace it with the latest version. Unfortunally this tutorial won't help people who need help holding there dick while they piss yet alone modifying a xbox. Sorry but modding/upgrading a xbox will NEVER be like AOL (FORTUNALLY!) laugh.gif

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 03:46:00 AM »

Hmm nice theory. Another part of the problem might also be that people do not care to look for any good tutorial as there are plenty (new ones) around. They then sometimes seem to feel the need to contribute to the comunity when they finally got something working even though there is better stuff around. Also what exploit u actually use? U only mention a gamesave exploit and then talk about pbl on E not working but does on C??? Also did you mention that when running pbl of a gamesave there is no reset on eject fix?

sgr215

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 09:06:00 PM »

You've got way to much time on your hands.

Nope I left out the PBL eject fix crap along with other things(I.E. Clock loop). Anyone with an IQ over 95 would go over the pros and cons of softmodding.

I decided to not write a 480 page book about modifying the xbox. Perhaps you could do it considering how much time you put on the forums?  rolleyes.gif

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 01:08:00 AM »

I would but if there are allready tuts about certain topics why would I feel the need to write a new one? That's just confusing. I think every subject should rather have 1 good tutorial than 10 outdated/incomplete ones.

sgr215

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 01:42:00 AM »

I think xbox-scene should have an adults only forum but its not going to happen. wacko.gif

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 01:50:00 AM »

right...listen dude obviously you are taking this way to personal. I ain't into this kinda discussions. I just wanted to clear stuff up and you are acting all offended. I consider this done now.

dynagod

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 05:17:00 AM »

is nortons drive copy acceptable for this?
thxs!
Pages: [1] 2