xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New X2 Bios Prob: Hardware Or Software Issue?  (Read 73 times)

AkumAPRIME

• Archived User
New X2 Bios Prob: Hardware Or Software Issue?
« on: August 22, 2003, 11:14:00 PM »

SO, is the X2.4978 bios alpha just messed up, or is is that the X2.X lites cant read both banks simultaneously to get a truly one megabyt bios? If its the first, they can fix it, if it's the second, does that mean 2 512Ks are the biggest bioses the X2.Xs can have? I swear I thought differently, but I cant figure in my head how it COULD read both banks together...

anyway, all help appreciated

tnx
ehb

AkumAPRIME

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 08:41:00 AM »

I thought that the question implied an understanding of the x2.4978 X2.xlite problem!, If its didnt, sorry. Can anyone answer the question though, what would be done to get the chip to read both banks together as one 1meg bios? Ideally they could just get the thing to be a 512K, but if they cant, or if in the future a nice 1meg comes along, Id like to know if and how to get my chip to use it

tnx
ehb

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 09:04:00 AM »

QUOTE (Ricoh @ Aug 23 2003, 01:00 PM)
I guess you have to throw away your chip buy their new 5MB chip which will be in production soon if you want to upgrade bios from now on   biggrin.gif   wat a shame   tongue.gif

So don't buy their chip.  Use your 256K cheapmod and Phoenix Loader.  Enough conspiracy theories...

Also, my thought was that it was a limitation of the X2 Lite, but some people are using workarounds to get 4978 to boot on an X2 Lite.  So perhaps there is something that can be changed in the kernel.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 09:14:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xeero @ Aug 23 2003, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (Ricoh @ Aug 23 2003, 01:00 PM)
I guess you have to throw away your chip buy their new 5MB chip which will be in production soon if you want to upgrade bios from now on   biggrin.gif   wat a shame   tongue.gif

So don't buy their chip.  Use your 256K cheapmod and Phoenix Loader.  Enough conspiracy theories...

Also, my thought was that it was a limitation of the X2 Lite, but some people are using workarounds to get 4978 to boot on an X2 Lite.  So perhaps there is something that can be changed in the kernel.

Yes, that was my impression... maybe there's a way to "massage" the chip into seeing the entire 1MB flash on bootup? Perhaps it's a part of the bootloader stuff.

Ubergeek mentioned they were working on a "fix" for the problem, which implies it will work in a future release without a hardware upgrade.