xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X2 4977 Freezes Xbox After Igr  (Read 172 times)

toyato89

• Archived User
X2 4977 Freezes Xbox After Igr
« on: July 31, 2003, 08:44:00 PM »

When I do an IGR in any game or app, it hangs at a black screen and doesn't load Evox. I had X2 4976.02 & 4976 and they worked perfect, but 4977 seems to hang after an IGR.

Here's what I have:

Xbox 1.0
Evox 1.8.3752
Matrix

Anyone else having this problem?

Hollowpoint

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 10:02:00 PM »

Just Flashed tonight and haveing the same problem...

Edit...  This has to be a problem with Evox...  I have made a few multigame cd's and when I run them... i can do an IGR and it jumps back to the menu no problems...

nix2k

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 10:44:00 PM »

I think its just the nature of the IGR. For me, it seems almost random, as in, sometimes it will freeze, sometimes it wont. I'd be happy that it works at all tongue.gif

Hollowpoint

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 09:47:00 AM »

Well, like I said.   It's just not working in Evox...  I have Made multi disks with MXM and with Craxation.  Both will revert to the main menu when I do the IGR...  I noticed lastnight when I was flashing the bios that in the boot options... it looks for evoXdash.xbe first, nextgen.xbe second then last is xboxdash.xbe.

When I did my first install of Evox I renamed evox to xboxdash.xbe and renamed the MS dash to msdash.xbe...   Could this be causing the IGR to not revert to the evox dash?  on DVD it looks for the default.xbe and IGR's just fins back to main menu..  Im so confused...

bigga

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 02:51:00 PM »

You could try turning off all the IGR options in the evox settings menu, as the x2 4977 bios includes IGR, and I think that they might clash

bombzhome

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 04:01:00 PM »

It freezes on me sometimes... I think what it is, is that when something ON THE TV SCREEN is moving... and you IGR it, it screws up.. because when I am playing Midtown Madness 3, and I am like driving around, IGR DOES hang at the black screen... yet when I pause it, IGR works like a charm... btw.. I have the SAME EXACT setup as ya... X2 4977, EvoX 3752, and Xbox 1.0!

andrusk

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 04:38:00 PM »

do what bigga says, turn off the evox igr cause it doesnt like the 4977 igr.  anyway the 4977 igr works a lot better than the evox one.

Hollowpoint

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 10:39:00 PM »

I have turned off IGR in all 3 places...  same problem..  any combo of IGR on or off in Evox Same problem...   I did have a problem with the return to Dash setting in a few other programs as well...  BoXexplorer, XBMP, and even going from MenuX back to Evox... All locks up...  I am just using the return to Dash mode built into the programs and not using the Controller to IGR.

toyato89

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 07:18:00 AM »

Ok, well I've tried all of your suggestions, and the only conclusion I can come to is that there is some sort of bug here. I'm just going to revert back to X2 4976.02 until they release a fix or a new version that works. I had no problems with that bios, and I don't think there is much difference between 4977 and that one anyways.

Hollowpoint

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 06:39:00 AM »

QUOTE (nufan @ Aug 3 2003, 08:30 PM)
*sigh* remove your network cable, if that fixes it, welcome to the club of the unsolvable problem.

Tried....  Sigh...

I don't think this is a problem with the 4977 bios either...  This is a problem with EVOX...  last night I removed Evox as my main dash and used MXM...  I have had no problems using IGR out of games from MXM...

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2003, 11:42:00 AM »

try loading different bios' too.  like a 4977 color noani one or something.  people have had success'es doing that.

Gonefission

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2003, 12:20:00 PM »

And I thought I was the only person with this weird problem.

Hollowpoint

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2003, 06:22:00 PM »

Well... I now have a perfect working 4977 box with IGR working....

I did it the old school way...   I downloaded a fresh 256k 4977 bios and made it 1 meg using the dos utility...

I flashed it with Flash x 1.1 (BTW took almost an hour to flash) and it worked fine...

I have been reading other places that if you use an external program to merge the bios, change colors etc...  It causes the IGR bug...  

So, Me recomends not modding the Color or No anim and use a vergin 4977 and the dos program command line to merge it to one meg...

toyato89

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 08:34:00 PM »

Wow, its been a while since anyone's posted here... not to flog a dead horse or anything, but has anyone figured anything out?

I'm currently running my XBtool modified 4976.02 with some custom snifty blue colour, no ani, no trademark. I also have my 4977 modified the exact same way. I remember a post saying that that could be why it's messing up... not really willing to try flashing and reflashing again and again though.

I've not been having any trouble with my network cable. It's usually always plugged in, and works just fine when it's not. No random freezes or anything out of the ordinary. The only freezes I've had lately were when I converted my MS Dash from green to blue and I screwed up and it froze, and when I was trying to play bad NES roms a while ago it would freeze.

I'd like to run 4977 b/c of the eject fix. I hate that damn reset on eject... pisses me off. I'd also try out 4978, but I've got a Matrix and I don't want to mess around with the Phoenix loader.

Any new info? Please post it.

Terrorbyte

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2003, 09:35:00 AM »

I've mainly noticed the freezing behavior in the following circumstances:

* X-ecuter 2.x Lite or 2.x Pro running the x2_4977 BIOS
* EvolutionX as the dash
* Network cable plugged in and active, static or dynamic IP from router on LAN

Generally, apps freeze almost immediately after they begin to load, namely emulators (such as FCE -- any version) and some games (Tony Hawk 4 will freeze every time during the intro movie after the game loads, sometimes Halo crashes).  The crashing occurs consistently when the XBOX is first powered on (with the network cable plugged in) and x2_4977 is loaded from the modchip.  Once the freeze actually occurs (in any of the apps or games that have the problem), powering the XBOX off and then on again completely eliminates the possibility of it happening again, that is, until you shut down your XBOX and turn it back on after an extended period of time.  If you leave the network cable unplugged, the freezing behavior will NEVER occur, regardless of the circumstances.

So, as a general rule, if you have the freezing issues with x2_4977,  don't run the games & apps that freeze when the network cable is plugged in.  Technically, you only need your network cable plugged in for FTP purposes or for online gaming (system link, xbconnect, XBOX Live, etc.), so leave it unplugged.  Otherwise, if you absolutely MUST leave your network cable plugged in (for online gaming, etc.), let the freeze occur once, shut off the XBOX, then turn it back ON.  The freeze should be gone in either scenario.

IGR either works or it doesn't depending on the game and the dash you're running.  The freezing behavior that I mentioned above seems pretty unrelated to IGR, as enabling/disabling it does not have an effect - games will still freeze when the network cable is plugged in regardless of whether or not IGR is enabled or completely disabled.
Pages: [1] 2