xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Pheonix Bios Loader  (Read 62 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« on: July 18, 2003, 09:55:00 AM »

OK, I'm considering adding this functionality to Media X Menu, but I'm curious as to the EXACT features of this... it talks about "debug BIOSes" but then says it only works with 4977 (a hacked "retail" BIOS).

Near as I can gather, they are ACTUALLY referring to hacked BIOSes as "debug BIOSes", perhaps because they allow you to run homebrew code? I dunno. The NFO really doesn't make much sense in literal context. They refer to being unable to launch retail BIOSes, and I'm thinking they really mean UNHACKED BIOSes.

They also talk about 4977 BIOS having a 'Debug RC4', which makes no sense whatsoever... there is no RC4 for 4977, it's got a dual-boot 2BL, and doesn't require any key whatsoever.

If it's a tool that allows you to boot any hacked BIOS with minimal trouble, I'll add it to MXM in the near future... and see about getting into X-Select as well. At the moment, however, the NFO seems confusing, to say the least.

Has anybody put this through it's paces yet?

Artifex

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 09:57:00 AM »

debug bios means just that.  a debug bios.
the x2 4977 bfm bios is a debug bios.
the key here is that it's a bfm. (boot from media).

currently non bfm bioses dont work.

also, x2 is the only bfm bios currently known to work.

We'll be working on getting others booting, dont worry.  It's just a matter of time and effort. :-)

--Artifex

muerte

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 09:58:00 AM »

rotfl.gif

i'm not even sure if this shitz is permanent... sorry i can't help

Artifex

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 10:00:00 AM »

oh, also, on the rc4 key... yes, the x2 bfm bios does use the debug rc4 key.

Get your bioses straight!

hehe.

--artifex

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 10:26:00 AM »

QUOTE (Artifex @ Jul 18 2003, 02:00 PM)
oh, also, on the rc4 key... yes, the x2 bfm bios does use the debug rc4 key.

Get your bioses straight!

hehe.

--artifex

OK, I don't think the 4977 is a "Debug" BIOS, but I think I'm starting to understand the "BFM" business... In the XDK, there are several retail "BFM" BIOSes that you can load up (though I haven't messed with this process) - supposedly the Debug BIOS has this capability (I was never to keen on it though, as I wondered how you would stop it from loading the BIOS when you wanted to return to a Debug BIOS).

These BIOSes are used to test software for retail release without hosing the Debug Kit Xbox.

So Pheonix figured out how to do this BIOS loading in their own code... but it still requires an RC4 key?

I'm still trying to get my head around this thing... and I'm at work, so I can't play with the code or try it out. sad.gif